• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

In this case haul it off and burn it means take it out of the house and over to the trash barrel and light a match. The guy who burned them and teh guy offerring tehm to me were two different people.

Think of it this way-he had big enough stacks of comics that he had to 'haul them'.  Your friend had to have gone thru the books and magically remembered one cover-the Cap#1.  He was interested enough to look thru the comics but was completely uninterested in the books and the old man just wanted them gone-he never said 'ya want em?' or anything, and your friend who took the time to go thru them and memorize covers was too disinterested to ask.  Old dude had the comics for decades and magically decided to burn em 'just a week before'.    It doesnt pass the smell test.

Back in 2014 I bought both the 1st print and the Greg Land variant of Edge of Spider-verse #2. I bought the variant (paid $10 when it was released), then gave it to my girlfriend as a gift (it's currently in the VF/NM range). Had I known that comic would skyrocket in price I would've kept it for myself!

Unlike most of you lot, I never had any comics as a kid. I got into comics age 30 and I'm now 36. But in that time I have bought and sold some nice books.... I've had T.o.S#39, X-Men#1 x2, GS X-Men #1 x2, ASM#50, 129, DD#1, several ASM#300's, several NM#98's, BA#12 x2, Bats#181 #171 Avengers#4 IM#1 Cap#100, Hawkman#1 & #4, TMNT#1..... all sold, I didn't really regret selling any of them at the time but the money is obviously long gone and all I have now are the memories.

I'll buy them again, I'm sure, and I'll probably sell them again too, it is what it is and it's nice to get a chunk of change every now and then, still, my collection is 'key light' and prices keep rising. I wish I could buy a big key and then forget I have it. 

This is inconsequential compared to others but I sold a 9.2 - 9.4 iron man 5 in late nineties for ~ 50 dollars to the LCS that's still there btw. I thought at the time the only comics to ever be worth anything were early spideys. This was the dead zone time for comics right before cgc came to be.

6 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

This is inconsequential compared to others but I sold a 9.2 - 9.4 iron man 5 in late nineties for ~ 50 dollars to the LCS that's still there btw. I thought at the time the only comics to ever be worth anything were early spideys. This was the dead zone time for comics right before cgc came to be.

You did good in my book

Today I was moving comics and had a longbox in the bed of my truck. After I fill the box I lay a few comics on top of the stack vertically and pop the lid on. So the lid flew off and the comics on top flew out. I think I lost some Ralph Snart vol. 1. Gonna have to replace them before a movie is announced 

5 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Back in 2014 I bought both the 1st print and the Greg Land variant of Edge of Spider-verse #2. I bought the variant (paid $10 when it was released), then gave it to my girlfriend as a gift (it's currently in the VF/NM range). Had I known that comic would skyrocket in price I would've kept it for myself!

what made that variant so valuable?

15 hours ago, kav said:

Think of it this way-he had big enough stacks of comics that he had to 'haul them'.  Your friend had to have gone thru the books and magically remembered one cover-the Cap#1.  He was interested enough to look thru the comics but was completely uninterested in the books and the old man just wanted them gone-he never said 'ya want em?' or anything, and your friend who took the time to go thru them and memorize covers was too disinterested to ask.  Old dude had the comics for decades and magically decided to burn em 'just a week before'.    It doesnt pass the smell test.

It doesn't really matter, it was a long time ago, but knowing the person, and having been on the farm I think there really were comics that were burnt. Whether they included a Cap 1 or not ehh, who can tell. I've collected comics since they cost me 3 pop bottles and 1 beer bottle each, and I've missed quite a few opportunities over the years. They're fun to talk about, but I don't ever loose sleep over them.

About the same time as this instance I turned down a VF Archie 1 for $1,000 from a dealer. $1,000 was way outside my budget at the time (I did buy his X-Men1 and DD1 $100 for the pair). Another time a local antique dealer had a CGC 1.0 AF 15 for $1,000 which I also stupidly turned down (it was about FMV at that point). The misses are all equaled out by the hits eventually, back when I was actively looking for collections my father used to say hitting 1% of the time was what you could expect, and I agree with that assessment.

Near miss...

Back around '79 (can't remember exactly when - but at least I don't have Alzheimer's), me and a buddy went to a flea market. Some guy had a small stack of comics. There was a FF #1 in the stack. The guy said he'd take $185 for it. I didn't have enough on me, but my bank was about 1/4 mile away. It was hot out, though, so I went and got some lemonade instead of going to the bank. Oh well. at least the lemonade was good.

2 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Near miss...

Back around '79 (can't remember exactly when - but at least I don't have Alzheimer's), me and a buddy went to a flea market. Some guy had a small stack of comics. There was a FF #1 in the stack. The guy said he'd take $185 for it. I didn't have enough on me, but my bank was about 1/4 mile away. It was hot out, though, so I went and got some lemonade instead of going to the bank. Oh well. at least the lemonade was good.

they said when life gives you lemons make lemonade so you did.

1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Near miss...

Would you happen to know if that was within range of FMV at the time? Collecting became popular around the early or mid 70's if I'm not mistaken?

32 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Would you happen to know if that was within range of FMV at the time? Collecting became popular around the early or mid 70's if I'm not mistaken?

I really wouldn't know. I THINK it was a very good buy.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, kav said:

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.  People say the darnedest things.  I talked to one guy whose 'mom sold all his comics at a yard sale".  He had 'the first spiderman, FF, hulk etc'.   I started quizzing him and he 'bought them all off the stands.  I pointed out he wasnt alive when they hit the stands the story changed to 'I bought them at a comic shop when I was 15'.  I then pointed out that when he was 15, in the 1980s, he must have spent thousands at the 'comic shop'.  I found it difficult to believe his mom would not know he had thousands of dollars, and was spending it on comics, and then turned around and 'sold them at a yard sale'.  He kinda  went silent after that.  People love to tell 'aw damn' stories for some reason.

some people just like to try and impress you no matter what you are talking about - and they LOVE to one up you on any story. The more they talk, the bigger the lies and the more obvious just how full of @___ they are