• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

I sold AF 15 and Amazing Spider-Man 1 for peanuts in the early 1990's. I sold FF1, bought another one a few years ago, then needed money for school and sold it again. I think I might not get a third chance. As a kid I had GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94 and Hulk 181, but I have no idea where they disappeared to. I'm sure they were coverless by the time I was done with them. 

3 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Was "high grade" a consideration in the 60's and 70's to those that collected?

not really.  hell I can remember buying super high grade lois lanes and jimmy olsens in the $2 box at cons in the 80s and early 90s that I sold years later on ebay for around $70 each when the high grade thing kicked in.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, PowderedH2O said:

I sold AF 15 and Amazing Spider-Man 1 for peanuts in the early 1990's. I sold FF1, bought another one a few years ago, then needed money for school and sold it again. I think I might not get a third chance. As a kid I had GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94 and Hulk 181, but I have no idea where they disappeared to. I'm sure they were coverless by the time I was done with them. 

What is peanuts back then? Going rate for a mid around that time was what....5-10k?

If it's only as a kid it would probably be GS X-Men 1.  If you include young adult probably FF 1.  The only two things I collected in the 70's when I was a kid was X-Men and Daredevil (Claremont and Miller).  I have no idea what happened to those comics.  The FF 1 I got when I had my store in the 80's and gave it as a gift to an employee.

6 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Was "high grade" a consideration in the 60's and 70's to those that collected?

I was always picky about the condition of everything. Albums, comics, paperbacks, etc. I used to keep all my comics in a large wooden storage drawer. This would have been the late 60's and early 70's. I didn't have bags for any of them, but I was very careful to store them in neat stacks. I figured that would at least keep them from getting used as coasters...  lol 

I bought Hulk #181, probably a 9.2 or better for $1 in the late 70's. It was well read when it left my hands.

Also had Tales of Suspense #39 I paid $8 for.

Bought 2 copies of ASM #129 for 25 cents each at a flea market.  One of the copies had this pesky inset ( mark Jewlers).  I removed the insert. I hated those things.

All of these were part of my childhood collection I sold many yrears ago.

Used the money to buy a slightly used station wagon in order to launch a failed Taxi business

Edited by NP_Gresham

I also had GSX 1 and all the X men bronze keys which I sold with a huge stack of other books like Ms Marvels and Novas etc to a co worker for $25.

He's probably on a forum thread somewhere called "Key books you got for nothing back when they weren't key books"

When I was in grade 1, I traded ASM #121 straight across for Capt America #111, my fave Steranko cover as a kid. In grade 9, I sold a Hulk #181 nm for overguide at $25 and the high-schooler said I was 'ripping him off' but he still paid. He still has it today and I don't have any #181 in stock anymore. :shy:

Sold my complete run of DDs when I went off to college. Before that I sold plenty of early Spideys (issues 10-20) and early FFs (issues 8-up) , not to mention other Marvels, for cars, drugs, and girls.  This was back in the 70s.

Threads like this should be banned. Too much. PTSD and all. It's like when you were a little kid and someone said to you, "When you were born the doctor slapped your mother" and it forces you to go to a quiet place and contemplate. 

I bought Spider-Man #3 off the stands. My first Marvel. 

I traded 2 SA Superman’s for an AF#15 with a neighborhood kid. My whole collection of about 250 comics were pitched by my mom when I moved out at 17. To make matters worse, a few of the kids in the neighborhood whose parents didn’t like them kept their collections at my house. Probably several copies of all the big Marvel & DC keys were in that stash...:sorry:

I’d like to think the trashman is sitting on a beach some where sipping a cool one, but I doubt it...

Not quite the nightmare scenarios posted above, but my biggest regrets/near misses: I stopped buying ASM at issue #299; sold ASM 252 and Secret Wars 8 for about $5 apiece; bought TMNT #1 (3rd print) for cover price at a local shop and then stupidly stored it in a regular long box for 30+ years so now it's creased and faded and chipped to CGC 2.5 hell; bought a copy of Iron Fist 14 for a quarter at a used book store and then flipped it for a life-changing $10.