• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

I saw a huge stack of GL 76 at the drug store in high grade and I didnt buy them all.

Probably ASM 50 that I sold with most of the rest of my comics when I needed partying money.

This older guy at the coffee shop over heard my comic stories and when we eventually talked he said his family ran a convenience store that stocked comics. His parents kept the unsold bundles. When he inherited the business, he tossed everything. When I asked what years we're talking he said 50's and 60's. Gulp.

My brother and I had Amazing Spider-Man # 1 among a bunch of other Marvel's published from 1963 to 1969. My parents had a garage sale in 1970 and they were sold for a dime each. I really was too young to remember them, but my brother specifically remembers the first Spider-Man comic and a few other Marvels that are high dollar now.

I even had a Spider-Man costume I wore for Halloween in 1968 or 1969, which was probably sold then too. That costume I do remember.

My grandmother bought my mother and her sister comics in the 1940's and 1950's and when my brother and I were born she bought them for us, right up until 1981. Mom's golden age comics, like many of that era, were disposed of after being read.

When I was about ten I had an early run of Conans (pretty sure I had a #1). My mom sold them all at a garage sale when i wasn't around. I think she gave me a dollar. 

I had all the original art from Action #1 as my uncle worked in the printing business we colored them with crayons then used em for art projects and stuff then they got tossed-

28 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

When I was in grade 1, I traded ASM #121 straight across for Capt America #111, my fave Steranko cover as a kid. In grade 9, I sold a Hulk #181 nm for overguide at $25 and the high-schooler said I was 'ripping him off' but he still paid. He still has it today and I don't have any #181 in stock anymore. :shy:

:(

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I had all the original art from Action #1 as my uncle worked in the printing business we colored them with crayons then used em for art projects and stuff then they got tossed-

:whatthe:

6 minutes ago, wombat said:

When I was about ten I had an early run of Conans (pretty sure I had a #1). My mom sold them all at a garage sale when i wasn't around. I think she gave me a dollar. 

:ohnoez:

13 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

My brother and I had Amazing Spider-Man # 1 among a bunch of other Marvel's published from 1963 to 1969. My parents had a garage sale in 1970 and they were sold for a dime each. I really was too young to remember them, but my brother specifically remembers the first Spider-Man comic and a few other Marvels that are high dollar now.

I even had a Spider-Man costume I wore for Halloween in 1968 or 1969, which was probably sold then too. That costume I do remember.

My grandmother bought my mother and her sister comics in the 1940's and 1950's and when my brother and I were born she bought them for us, right up until 1981. Mom's golden age comics, like many of that era, were disposed of after being read.

:pullhair:

17 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

Probably ASM 50 that I sold with most of the rest of my comics when I needed partying money.

This older guy at the coffee shop over heard my comic stories and when we eventually talked he said his family ran a convenience store that stocked comics. His parents kept the unsold bundles. When he inherited the business, he tossed everything. When I asked what years we're talking he said 50's and 60's. Gulp.

:frustrated:

Amazing Spider-Man #129 and #135 that I sold to a lady at our yard sale for $10 which was a fortune for a 9 year old in 1976. My mom asked me at the time if I was sure I wanted to sell. :(  First comic sale for a profit. First seller's remorse!

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Amazing Spider-Man #129 and #135 that I sold to a lady at our yard sale for $10 which was a fortune for a 9 year old in 1976. My mom asked me at the time if I was sure I wanted to sell. :(  First comic sale for a profit. First seller's remorse!

In 1976 $10 was a good price for those 2 books.

43 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

My whole collection of about 250 comics were pitched by my mom when I moved out at 17.

My mom threw out most of my books when I went to college, but I had a few boxes (400-500 books) in my closet that lived on until I sold them.

I still keep my favorite books in my closet ...... like no one will discover them and throw them out:eek:

B68122AC-648F-4383-BB74-C5779756CEF6.jpeg

Edited by NP_Gresham

Was a kid of the 80s so I remember having all the 80s keys... ASM 238, 252, SW8, GIJoe 21, ASM300, Miller's Wolverine... never knew what happened to them. Mom probably threw them out while I was at college, or maybe little brother traded them away. I was out of comics by the 90s so I didnt even think about them for a few decades...

I mentioned this story before but I traded for a ASM 2 and Marvel Spotlight 5 I think there were cards some money and some other stuff involved was reading them at school went to play a game called POG and someone stole them out of my back pack as a kid I think I was in the 4th grade or 5th was a very sad day for me. :$

I bought Fantastic Four #292 with my chore money when I was 7 or 8 from my local shop in Des Plaines, IL.  Loved the comic because of the Hitler cover and I thought it was ultra-rebellious because I never told my parents I had it.  Not the most valuable comic, not even really a key but I legitimately lost (parents threw out maybe) the comic and I'll always miss it.

Hulk 181, 9.2 or greater. Traded (along with 1st Frank Miller DD, X-MEN dark phoenix saga, and others) for a paltry $35 in trade mid 80s comic store. 

I even hand picked that off the wall of the first comic store I ever entered in San Bruno in the late 70s  (and I wasn't the kind of kid that got to pick dozens of comics every week,

try one or two a year). I think that was before the new X-MEN blew up.

Edited by bronze_rules

1 hour ago, Badger said:

1 hour ago, kav said:

In 1976 $10 was a good price for those 2 books.

It really was! She got about 50 other misc. books for a total of $20 and I got firecrackers and a kite. lol I literally burned the money and tossed it into the wind!

Edited by Badger

Star Wars #1 off the news stand.  Traded it for a Marvel Two-In-One #24.  I absolutely hated the art and in the Star Wars comic and the story was incongruent.  

Second place was a mid grade Giant Size X-Men #1 that I sold for something like $30-$40.