• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 Spidey grade

20 posts in this topic

One of the nicest front covers of this book I've seen in quite some time. In fact, it's so rare to see such a sharp, unrestored copy, it's actually a little hard to evaluate. From what I can see, I would say the front cover looks like it's in the 8.5 range. However, if that's a small tear on the top edge between the "Z" and "I" in Amazing, that flaw alone will usually cause a book to get knocked down to an 8.0...

depending on lighting, large creases can be completely hidden. this book looks great in these photos but no one can properly evaluate a book without seeing it in person, and turning it at different angles to see where creasing and other damage may be hidden by lighting. 

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

depending on lighting, large creases can be completely hidden. this book looks great in these photos but no one can properly evaluate a book without seeing it in person, and turning it at different angles to see where creasing and other damage may be hidden by lighting. 

Perhaps the grading notes would shed a little more light on the subject as well...

16 hours ago, s14roller said:

Thanks for the kind words!  I don't have the book in hand but went through some pics and it appears to be a color breaking scrape/crease of some sort. 

IMG_4543.jpeg

I can only see the vertical crease near the middle of the book. It does not appear near the center top or center bottom. Im at 7.0.

Thanks for the comments, guys.  Correct, there is a light non-color breaking crease in the middle of the book (book is not pressed).  The very top/middle of the book is a color breaking crease, luckily not a tear.  Majority of the front cover wear appears to be the very bottom left corner. 

10 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I am closer to 8.5-9.0 personally. Even with the scrape and the bottom edge looking like it has some wear. To me, it appears to overhang a bit on the bottom which is likely why it has the wear it does. I don't think that should be docked too hard though. Gorgeous copy. 

Upon further review I am closer to a 7.5. Looked again and blew up the photos and could really notice that center crease.

I will second the suggestion to press though for sure!

Edited by comicginger1789

On 7/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, HighStakesComics said:

I can only see the vertical crease near the middle of the book. It does not appear near the center top or center bottom. Im at 7.0.

Yep, that's a great catch. Good eye!  :foryou:

On 7/10/2019 at 4:06 PM, s14roller said:

Thanks for the comments, guys.  Correct, there is a light non-color breaking crease in the middle of the book (book is not pressed).  The very top/middle of the book is a color breaking crease, luckily not a tear.  Majority of the front cover wear appears to be the very bottom left corner. 

So with all that, I still think this book presents extremely well. And with a quality press, that light crease in the middle of the cover could be virtually eliminated. I certainly wish you the best of luck if you decide to move forward...  :foryou: