• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM slabbed GSX-M #1 9.6 post-shipment

6 posts in this topic

Hi folks.  I am somewhat new to the Chat Boards (I have been reading the great content from time to time), but this is my first post.   I am a bit anxious about my Giant Size X-Men #1 slabbed 9.6 by CGC that arrived by UPS today.  Really nice and all, but apparently there was some damage in shipment.  According to the seller's high-res images, the top, right, and bottom edges were straight and smooth with, dent free corners.  So I bought it.  Upon arrival, I looked at the book closely and noticed it has Marvel overhang along the top and right edges only.  Perfect, except for the lower-right front cover corner (which was perfect in the Seller's images).  Assuming the seller's images were accurate immediately pre-shipment, the book must have shifted in the slab.  Now the formerly smooth and straight lower-right edge has a bend/dent.  My heart sank.   I have attached a close-up picture of the corner in question (the area shown from bottom to the little dark dot is about half an inch long).   

Is the impact slight enough (or part and parcel of Marvel hangovers) such that the 9.6 grade is unaffected?  If the grade is affected, are we talking 9.4 or something else?   

If the impact affects grade, does it appear that it is not a color-breaking bend and that a simple press would restore the 9.6 status?   

If the seller's images are accurate and the impact happened during shipment, should I be able to return to the seller?   I guess this depends on whether a simple press would retain the 9.6 status.  

If I keep the book (because it remains a 9.6 or a press would restore it to a 9.6), should I re-slab or, because of the overhang, keep it raw in bag/board?

Any thoughts/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  - joe  

GSX-M1 - lower right front corner (1).JPG

This would be a big problem for me with a 9.6 book, especially a GSX1.  If that occured during shipping and there was no overhang in his pics I'd send it back.  Based on your comment I think that was case.
CGC historically would not grade books with overhang for exactly the reason that the overhang portion would be damaged in the slab.  I've had a couple of books returned to be from them becuase of this.

There would need to be a significant shift in the book during shipping for something like that to happen if it did not exist before, even creating some spine roll/shift I would suspect.  I would love to see full both before and after pictures.

Edited by MustEatBrains

MustEatBrains, thank you.  Yup, I was almost willing to try to press and re-slab because it looked like a dent and not an actual crease, but I am no expert.  So I decided to return the book, and seller agreed.   Because of the risk of further damage shipping it back, I cooperated and let the seller pick it up in person.  I received an immediate refund via PayPal.  Hopefully he can press it out and all is good, for the book's sake.  This should NEVER have happened to a high grade GSXM1 in a slab due to mere shipping, especially where it had been well-packaged with no visible signs of rough handling or other mishap.  Actually quite frightening when you think about it.  I was able to make the book shift in the slab by merely bumping my palm against the sides!  I alerted the seller, so he knows the best orientation to prevent any further impact.