• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies aside. Who played Peter Parker and/ or Spiderman “best” on the big screen ?

15 posts in this topic

Do you mean which portrayal/representation of Spider-Man is the best outside of the movies? Or do you mean ignoring the movie itself and whether it was terrible or not, which actor has portrayed Spider-Man/PP the best?

If its the former, the 90's cartoon series and whichever actor voiced Peter/Spidey. If its the latter, I will say Tobey and Tom are tied. I liked Tobey because he is the first Spider-Man and that still resonates with me. He was awkward enough that I believed him. I like Tom because he is young and also the perfect amount of awkward and funny. I am sure he will win out eventually but nostalgia has Tobey in the conversation.

Edited by comicginger1789

33 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

And why ......

I already addressed this in the Spider-Man: Far From Home thread. But I'm here to support your discussion.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I still feel Tobey Maguire portrayed a more troubled and loner Peter Parker dealing with life challenges while having to save people around him. And to me, Doc Ock is still the strongest Spidey Cinema Universe villains, followed by Michael Keaton's Vulture.

No disrespect to Tom Holland's character, which is our current Peter Parker/Spider-Man. He just comes across too cool and easily able to overcome his situations.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I still feel Tobey Maguire portrayed a more troubled and loner Peter Parker dealing with life challenges while having to save people around him. And to me, Doc Ock is still the strongest Spidey Cinema Universe villains, followed by Michael Keaton's Vulture.

This sums it up nicely.

16 minutes ago, Hawkman said:

Movies aside? So, you're saying there's been more than one real life Spider-Man? Or are you asking us to judge every clip of someone in a costume on youtube?

Regardless of the quality ( critic / studio acclaim / reaction ).  

Just now, Chicago Boy said:

Regardless of the quality ( critic / studio acclaim / reaction ).  

So why not say "Who has played Spider-Man the best?"

If that's the question, I have them both tied for now. I like both, and feel both have strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Hawkman

Andrew Garfield, imo. 

Tobey Maguire's Peter was sweet and pitiful, but near dysfunctional as a real human being. Did Raimi say to Maguire, "play it like Peter's autistic"? 

Todd Holland is nailing the high school kid persona, but we never got to see him play Peter before Spider powers or his reaction to getting the powers. And sometimes, the "gosh Mr. Stark!" thing got a bit much.

Andrew Garfield's Peter actually had a New York accent. His interactions with Gwen Stacy are an example of perfect chemistry (especially when he asks her out the first time in ASM). When he gets his powers and learns to use them, I really felt his joy and wonderment. When someone died on his watch (like Gwen or her father), you felt the emotion. Garfield brought a fresh, understated, realistic take on Peter that was a refreshing 180 from Maguire/Raimi's ultra-dorky cartoony version. Sure, Garfield played Peter a bit more of a jerk than Maguire did, but then when Spider-Man is a jerk to the criminals, if feels more natural.

Below is the scene of Peter asking Gwen out the first time, leading in to a nice montage of Peter learning his powers. It seems they tried to redo this scene in Homecoming when Peter asks Liz out in the hallways, but it was nowhere as good as this.

Edited by @therealsilvermane