• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, mycomicshop said:

Seems like primarily a marketing funnel providing an easy introduction to CGC submission for less knowledgeable collectors, rather than something that’ll have any measurable impact on the eBay market. But maybe not, time will tell. Always good to try out new ideas. 

Exactly my thoughts. 

This is a very very rough layout which doesn't tell us much about this new service. It almost seems too rushed. Which led me believe that something is cooking out there in the competition level. 

Again, the BIG news I took from this, is the fact that it is a service that will be implemented through eBay

Right there you're talking about a migration of the 2 biggest sources of comic retail as we know them today. Ones a market, the other a market maker. 

Together, bringing this new tool into play, sets a whole new set of rules to the game. It's raw grading+express authentication set into place. 

Also, setting the grades so far apart with this service may be a game changer if this takes off. This could signal the end the 9.8 era. 

I posted a thread a couple of years ago about voldys raw grading new feature. There were many critics. But as I predicted, this may open a new door and development may be underway with CGC. This seems like a much more progressive animal. 

I cannot imagine this new service being complete as it is. It would either test the market, fail and burn, or would be set into place to gather statistical information about the future of online grading. 

In an age where a software developer informs collectors about the flavor of the day through an app, an online grading app is just sitting there, waiting around the corner

to be continued....

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

• Comics, Magazines, and Concert Posters
  • Likely 8.0 - 10.0
  • Likely 6.0 - 8.0
  • Likely 4.0 - 6.0
  • Likely 2.0 - 4.0
  • Likely 0.5 - 2.0
  • Likely No Grade
  • Likely Individual Page
  • Likely Cover
  • Inconclusive ($5 refund)

Interesting concept though. Like a pre-screen for buyers, only with wider margins of error. Very interesting. 

So if they peg it as VF/8ish, they'd probably go with "likely 6.0-8.0" every time. 

8 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Interesting concept though. Like a pre-screen for buyers, only with wider margins of error. Very interesting. 

So if they peg it as VF/8ish, they'd probably go with "likely 6.0-8.0" every time. 

That makes sense to cover the bases (thumbsu

It will either make or break a reputation, so it'll be interesting if we can see where they wind up ballparking.... @Aweandlorder what they do with that an other info on the market is a possible game changer too :foryou:

Perhaps it'll give cgc reference points or at least, will they take that "voucher" into consideration when they grade and slab.

Obviously cgc has been around and wouldn't manipulate the grade, but would they be liable if the slab came back different?

Make or break a reputation indeed!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That makes sense to cover the bases (thumbsu

It will either make or break a reputation, so it'll be interesting if we can see where the wind up ballparking.... @Aweandlorder what they do with that an other info on the market is a possible game changer too :foryou:

Perhaps it'll give cgc reference points or at least, will they take that "voucher" into consideration when they grade and slab.

Obviously cgc has been around and wouldn't manipulate the grade, but would they be liable if the slab came back different?

Make or break a reputation indeed!

I htink that is why the word "likely" is all over the release, to cya.

Just now, Bird said:

I htink that is why the word "likely" is all over the release, to cya.

And the reason the spread is so wide, I'm not sure they can "fine tune" it anymore than that, but :wishluck:

Finally something eBay did right? Lol

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Exactly my thoughts. 

This is a very very rough layout which doesn't tell us much about this new service. It almost seems too rushed. Which led me believe that something is cooking out there in the competition level. 

I posted a thread a couple of years ago about voldys raw grading new feature. There were many critics. But as I predicted, this may open a new door and development may be underway with CGC. This seems like a much more progressive animal. 

Knowing how CBCS has been over the last two years, it would not shock me if they make a surprise announcement that they will now grade your books from your scans and send you a do it yourself slab and assigned grade to encapsulate the book yourself... :eyeroll:

25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Knowing how CBCS has been over the last two years, it would not shock me if they make a surprise announcement that they will now grade your books from your scans and send you a do it yourself slab and assigned grade to encapsulate the book yourself... :eyeroll:

CBPGCXS

Making your 6.0s into 9.8s since 2019!

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I think the D.I.Y. slab should look like this:
cgc-range.thumb.png.c94997af175121d3c9622fe1212db00b.png

Likely 8.0-10.0 is complete and utter BS.  Given the # of books that CGC grades as a 10, it is infinitely more likely that an apparent 9.8 book, through pictures, is going to be an 8.0 that it is going to be a 10.0.  Infinitely.  And I mean that literally.  It is frankly very misleading on CGC's part.  I think this is a stupid idea all around, but the only things stupider is not making the top tier Likely 8.0-9.8.  

I will donate $50 to Heroes Project for the first person showing me a book with this likely 8-10 designation that actually is graded a 10.  This offer stands for a year from this post.  

Edited by Transplant

I'll only charge $2 and guarantee it'll fall between a 1.0 - 10.0!

But seriously, How will they visually grade these? What if the listing only has a cover shot?

Does it need to include back cover, inside pages, how many inside pages? what if i take pictures of the best inside pages but not

the one with the coupon cut out? This makes no sense.

The ranges are so wide as to be almost worthless.   Also they give the qualifier of "likely." That qualifier makes even a rough grade completely non binding, and means we have zero recourse if their photo assessment is completely wrong. 

For high value book a 2 grade spred means a massive value difference. So easy for CGC to say, see we were right, that Hulk 181 you bought was between an 8 and a 10.  Sorry you paid the 9.2 price and it was only an 8, because that stain was not viable in the photo, but it fell within the window.

In addition the genuine section is again 100% worthless because of the "likely" qualifier.  The way this is set up CGC has zero liability, and the customer has zero recourse if they are wrong. The can always come back and say once the book is in hand, that the photos did not provide enough evidence, sorry we only said likely based on the photos provided, we can only do so much without physically handling the book. Thanks for your money anyway. Then you are left with filing a claim with eBay, and nothing has really changed.

Now the buyer still has eBay buyer protection if a book is way off grade or fake.  The only way this type of service would be helpful is if CGC could perform an in hand quick check once a book is received and within the eBay buyer protection window. Then they could help you make the claim to get your money back.  I know that would be harder to coordinate, but would be a truly useful service. So basically you would get a book, mail it to CGC and get that check done in 1 to 2 weeks of purchase. Then CGC would send the book back to eBay for you (to save time and shipping costs), and help you process the claim which would be expedited since a third party had now verified the issues with a book. Heck, maybe an option where the book could be sent directly to CGC from eBay to verify it before it is sent the buyer.  Then if there is an issue CGC sends it right back to the seller, and the buyer would never handle the book until it was verified. 

Edited by drotto

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Actually, that's exactly what CGC is doing here minus sending you a slab

sad but true

It makes sense for them from a business stand point. In other words, if this is advertised properly, like, WITHIN the eBay system, many novice collectors would see this as a necessary add on to their investment. What's a $10 add on to a 100+ initial investment "guaranteeing their grade" by the industry giant 

Of course, to the expert this will make absolutely no sense. But judging from what I see on fb, IG and even here sometimes, there are by far a lot more clueless collectors than experts

thats where it gets dangerous. If this does work, the majority of clueless collectors, assisted by a flawed grading system, will trump the expert minority and set a new dawn to a new age of grading

CGC could have easily avoided this by creating an entirely different division to handle such a plan. But that would defeat the whole point of them doing it to begin with. It's their name and reputation that pushes this new product. 

With great power comes great responsibility CGC. This rings true today more than it did yesterday.  

I wonder if this is a window into how long is typically spent grading a book. It's in their interest to go fast, but they sacrifice accuracy and thoroughness. Maybe this is the best they can offer knowing they will spend x minutes on a comic, allowing room on the grade range for overlooked problems.

8 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I wonder if this is a window into how long is typically spent grading a book. It's in their interest to go fast, but they sacrifice accuracy and thoroughness. Maybe this is the best they can offer knowing they will spend x minutes on a comic, allowing room on the grade range for overlooked problems.

I think it's general knowledge that most books spend about a minute, max two with any grader. 

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

I think of a million ways why this service is flawed. The very first is that the comic is not in hand

If they want the book in hand, I would like to be able to send a book from eBay straight to CGC.  Have them pre-screen it and if it fails the screening CGC returns it to seller, and a refund is started.  If it passes the buyer gets the option to get the book, grade the book, or press and grade the book, without the eBay buyer taking physical possession of the book.

This eliminates shipping costs, and some damage risk by minimizing shipping.