• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

If they want the book in hand, I would like to be able to send a book from eBay straight to CGC.  Have them pre-screen it and if it fails the screening CGC returns it to seller, and a refund is started.  If it passes the buyer gets the option to get the book, grade the book, or press and grade the book, without the eBay buyer taking physical possession of the book.

This eliminates shipping costs, and some damage risk by minimizing shipping.

But if the seller is confident in their own grading skills.... their just looking to sell the book....

No seller is going to agree to that...

:sorry:

15 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

heres a question...

if i want to sell a raw.... can i then pay for this service and then pass it along in the ebay listing included in the price of the book....

what about the voucher for discounted cgc slabbing..... can i pass that to the buyer as well?

@Aweandlorder

This seems to be a service for the buyers, and not sellers right? The cgc blurb says that it "helps you make a smarter purchase" so I don't think it is for seller's listings. But if it gets used that way and is included those of us who do not use the service in our listings may get shut out as buyer's would prefer a listing with a "likely" grade from cgc.

Just now, Bird said:

This seems to be a service for the buyers, and not sellers right? The cgc blurb says that it "helps you make a smarter purchase" so I don't think it is for seller's listings. But if it gets used that way and is included those of us who do not use the service in our listings may get shut out as buyer's would prefer a listing with a "likely" grade from cgc.

Your just sending cgc a link to a listing for them to grade and inspect...

Cgc is not going to make you check a box that it's not your own listing...

I'm also not saying anyone should or needs to do this, I'm just pointing out that if possible people will... well probably...

I take that back, cgc says the option will be listed under items for sale, so it will be an option on your listing, I don't know if you'll be able to "click it" on your own listing.... jury is still out on that one...

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I take that back, cgc says the option will be listed under items for sale, so it will be an option on your listing, I don't know if you'll be able to "click it" on your own listing.... jury is still out on that one...

I mean you can't "buy your own listing", so idk

What if you have 2 accounts? Nothing is stopping you is my point...

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

well, you have to have an active listing to get the opinion (via item #). So you would edit your listing and include the info if you wanted. Seems cumbersome for a seller, and most sellers like to keep fees down, not add $5 to a listing fee.

I wonder what the voucher looks like and would people use an image of that as proof of the cgc opinion.

Edited by Bird

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

Correct, if this takes off you would see a lot of big changes. First would obviously be incorrect grades. 2nd would be seller manipulation (hello photoshop). 3rd and probably most important would be a whole new grading concept based on invisible inventory

Just now, Bird said:

well, you have to have an active listing to get the opinion (via item #). So you would edit your listing and include the info if you wanted. Seems cumbersome for a seller, and most sellers like to keep fees down, not add $5 to a listing fee.

I wouldn't worry about if it was added to novice seller's listing that it would "steal buyers" from professionals. It would make experienced buyers trust and buy from trusted sellers all the more, especially because the "likely" cgc "grade ranges" are so far apart....

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

that seems possible as a buyer I would have more confidence knowing that cgc gave a likely grade so your grade and my grade and cgc like grade will probably help reinforce that comics grade creating a better understanding of the potential grade and more confidence to buy from that person

And what is the charge for lots of more than one book?

It really won't impact me as I sell mostly low cost stuff and people aren't going to pay $5 (or $10) to check a listing on a $5-$20 book. At least I wouldn't expect it.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

And what is the charge for lots of more than one book?

It really won't impact me as I sell mostly low cost stuff and people aren't going to pay $5 (or $10) to check a listing on a $5-$20 book. At least I wouldn't expect it.

There in lies the paradox...

Just as I wouldn't buy a High Grade expensive book raw...

Thusly, I'm not going to sell one either...

BUT if I have a Wolverine Liefeld cover #154 raw priced at a lowly $30, do you expect me to believe that some one will add $10 onto there fee in hopes of getting a CGC voucher for slabbing?

Doubtful, but it does help that they do the "likely universal label" for older books .....there is some good things with this to be honest

I think this is more aimed as someone mentioned before to the novice buyers or people who are new to grading. its a great business add on idea as it brings in newer customers as it associated a grading service with the comic that someone might want to buy and brings them into the CGC wold as opposed to the other guys. It also helps reinforce the generality of grading to maybe stop some of "those" sellers from listing books that are clearly a 6.0 as NM+ . 

This might cause some tension between people I can see the boards lighting up with new threads about this seller has x book listed as NM+ CGC online grading gave it a likely 6.0 to 8.0 and they confront the seller that he ripping people off, lying, dumb, etc... 

oh boy... time for some :popcorn:

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I am now offering my services in the PGM sub-forum of this board for $2/comic. Please PM me for details.

Hide contents

:jokealert:

here is a fiver :flipbait: can you please stop giving me 3.0's and 3.5's? lol 

Just now, Krishosein said:

I think this is more aimed as someone mentioned before to the novice buyers or people who are new to grading. its a great business add on idea as it brings in newer customers as it associated a grading service with the comic that someone might want to buy and brings them into the CGC wold as opposed to the other guys. It also helps reinforce the generality of grading to maybe stop some of "those" sellers from listing books that are clearly a 6.0 as NM+ . 

This might cause some tension between people I can see the boards lighting up with new threads about this seller has x book listed as NM+ CGC online grading gave it a likely 6.0 to 8.0 and they confront the seller that he ripping people off, lying, dumb, etc... 

True Dat! and it also will cut down on phone calls to cgc asking questions and newer novice's visiting the boards (: 

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I am now offering my services in the PGM sub-forum of this board for $2/comic. Please PM me for details.

Reveal hidden contents

:jokealert:

I'll do better and ask for 1 US dollar as you know that's like almost double in Canada eh.. lol Please mail me cash, No Paypal as that 3% fee going to hurt. 

Spoiler

:roflmao:

Just now, Krishosein said:

I'll do better and ask for 1 US dollar as you know that's like almost double in Canada eh.. lol Please mail me cash, No Paypal as that 3% fee going to hurt. 

Reveal hidden contents

:roflmao:

Family/Friends = No fee.

Everyone here is my friend except for Hollywood. Karl gets charged a higher fee.

5 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

lol but seriously your right, this might get seller's in line on ebay real quick..... also hope you and me are confident in grading if selling a raw.... at least it might cut down on people saying not as described...? Just put CGC's advertising to work, and say, "You want this, can't tell condition from the pics? Me neither, my cat made this listing, pay CGC and they'll give you an estimate!"

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

True Dat! and it also will cut down on phone calls to cgc asking questions and newer novice's visiting the boards (: 

well a little shameful truth here when I was first learning about graded comics I had no idea just saw a booth at a convention advertising store and protect your comics in a slab etc.. whatever marketing stuff they had  many years agoback then but the CGC booth was empty no one there to talk to but CBCS booth had some people there and I decided to go and talk to them about grading back then I didn't know there was a difference and all I looked at was the price of slabbing comics to protect them as I mostly slab to protect my books. So I had like 20 books done by CBCS thinking its the same thing like Coke and Pepsi (oops maybe bad analogy) lol . It's about being the first out there or being associated with stuff that helps people come to certain companies. 

So I think this is a good idea to help steer more newbies to CGC or people who knew nothing about grading/slabbing books