• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Actually, that's exactly what CGC is doing here minus sending you a slab

sad but true

Current situation... 

C89D20BE-089D-44BC-BA84-D6BA7FF7C061.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol but seriously your right, this might get seller's in line on ebay real quick..... also hope you and me are confident in grading if selling a raw.... at least it might cut down on people saying not as described...? Just put CGC's advertising to work, and say, "You want this, can't tell condition from the pics? Me neither, my cat made this listing, pay CGC and they'll give you an estimate!"

man I can't do two reactions to your post as I wanted to do thanks and the laughing one. 

Just now, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Likely 6.0–8.0

I think your being harsh look at how calm that water is definitely a 8.0 -10

image.thumb.png.f577fbef24fa9d01aef47b068160d61c.png

THERE IT IS RIGHT UNDER "PAYPAL CREDIT"!!! DOES ANYONE WANT TO GIVE IT A TRY AND GET FEEDBACK? DO A GOLDEN AGE BOOK :shy:  and no I'm not shouting

:tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I read this thread, read the email notice and I still don't understand what the value this service will offer to customers.

So (for a fee) CGC will look at a pic or two from an feeBay listing and determine if it's "likely" authentic and provide a fairly wide grade range? 

Do sellers have to show a pic(s) with a black light to check for color touch? Does the seller need to take a pic of the centerfold to verify that is attached? How about those Marvel Value Stamps/pin-ups or other items commonly cut-out of books? Does the seller need to include precise measurements of the book/cover to verify that no trimming has occurred? How about married covers?

Seems very geared toward the modern comic market, not so much for GA or even SA books. (Yes, I know that moderns are the most slabbed types thanks to valiantman's charting through the years.)

I can see the marketing benefit to CGC (and additional potential for butthurt) as others have mentioned, just not sure of the actual value proposition to sellers & buyers (shrug)

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol but seriously your right, this might get seller's in line on ebay real quick..... also hope you and me are confident in grading if selling a raw.... at least it might cut down on people saying not as described...? Just put CGC's advertising to work, and say, "You want this, can't tell condition from the pics? Me neither, my cat made this listing, pay CGC and they'll give you an estimate!"

How confident does one have to be to list a VF/VF+ book as "NM" (yeah, I know but some folks do that regularly it seems!) given that CGC will come allong and give their "Likely 8.0-10" stamp of approval? 

2 minutes ago, bc said:

I read this thread, read the email notice and I still don't understand what the value this service will offer to customers.

So (for a fee) CGC will look at a pic or two from an feeBay listing and determine if it's "likely" authentic and provide a fairly wide grade range? 

Do sellers have to show a pic(s) with a black light to check for color touch? Does the seller need to take a pic of the centerfold to verify that is attached? How about those Marvel Value Stamps/pin-ups or other items commonly cut-out of books? Does the seller need to include precise measurements of the book/cover to verify that no trimming has occurred? How about married covers?

Seems very geared toward the modern comic market, not so much for GA or even SA books. (Yes, I know that moderns are the most slabbed types thanks to valiantman's charting through the years.)

I can see the marketing benefit to CGC (and additional potential for butthurt) as others have mentioned, just not sure of the actual value proposition to sellers & buyers (shrug)

It's all very "likely" :devil:

39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But if the seller is confident in their own grading skills.... their just looking to sell the book....

No seller is going to agree to that...

:sorry:

The dime would still be on the buyer not the seller.  I suppose eBay could allow the seller to decline selling to a buyer that wanted the service, but that would say a lot about the quality of the seller.  I am confident enough in my grading skills that I would allow someone to do this.

People are posting that the button now appears on listings is this a service the seller can refuse?  Similar to not allowing international shipping?

I do not think this is a very useful service, but it could have the fringe benefit of cutting down on fraudulent listings and people massively overgrading their listings, even if people are not really using the service much.  The threat would be there.

Another possible interesting offshoot would be allowing sellers this service before they listed.  Then you could list with a CGC verified likely grade tag on the listing.  It may actually work better that way.

Edited by drotto

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

How confident does one have to be to list a VF/VF+ book as "NM" (yeah, I know but some folks do that regularly it seems!) given that CGC will come allong and give their "Likely 8.0-10" stamp of approval? 

I don't deal too much with moderns, but I see your point, even older books can be vf/nm....

1 minute ago, drotto said:

The dime would still be on the buyer not the seller.  I suppose eBay could allow the seller to decline selling to a buyer that wanted the service, but that would say a lot about the quality of the seller.  I am confident enough in my grading skills that I would allow someone to do this.

People are posting that the button now appears on listings is this a service the seller can refuse?  Similar to not allowing international shipping?

I do not think this is a very useful service, but it could have the fringe benefit of cutting down on fraudulent listings and people massively overgrading their listings, even if people are not really using the service much.  The threat would be there.

Another possible interesting offshoot would be allowing sellers this service before they listed.  Then you could list with a CGC verified likely grade tag on the listing.  It may actually work better that way.

We've discussed most of that so far, I did a screen shot of an eBay listing with the cgc option available...

What my point is, if a seller is confident in their grading, why would they wait and send it to cgc to verify? The seller wants to SELL and get that green, they probably wouldn't have 2 weeks to doddle on a "potential" customer that might get buyers remorse in that time frame...

But if your cool with I it's your choice ...

I'm sure this will go over well with uneducated buyers who pay for an estimate, get a likely 8-10 and then find it has a page missing or restoration upon actual submission to CGC. This also seems like a great way to bolster a scammer's sales as they can now purchase the online grade knowing the book has significant interior defects.

Not a fan of what's a clear cash grab for a service that undercuts CGC's entire reason for existence which is to supply accurate and consistent third party grading. It also undercuts the idea that a grade comes from the entire book, not just the cover and back cover.

1 minute ago, Red84 said:

I'm sure this will go over well with uneducated buyers who pay for an estimate, get a likely 8-10 and then find it has a page missing or restoration upon actual submission to CGC. This also seems like a great way to bolster a scammer's sales as they can now purchase the online grade knowing the book has significant interior defects.

Not a fan of what's a clear cash grab for a service that undercuts CGC's entire reason for existence which is to supply accurate and consistent third party grading. It also undercuts the idea that a grade comes from the entire book, not just the cover and back cover.

This. Is. A. Real. Concern.

if a seller did it, they wouldn't be selling too much after that though.... I would think this is going to take time to see how it settles.... 

CGC's reputation is on the line, that is something I'm sure they take serious, unlike these seller's who would commit those shenanigans...

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

your seller feedback will now read...

He said NM, CGC said...., this is the result

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

More to the point, I wonder if buyers will now wait the 4 month CGC TAT to leave feedback :o 

Which would "likely" lead to more disputes & returns?

And if this is geared for the modern comic market, who wants an eventual 8.0/8.5/9.0/9.2/9.4/9.6 given the number of threads/posts here about "why isn't this a 9.8?" 

24 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

image.thumb.png.f577fbef24fa9d01aef47b068160d61c.png

THERE IT IS RIGHT UNDER "PAYPAL CREDIT"!!! DOES ANYONE WANT TO GIVE IT A TRY AND GET FEEDBACK? DO A GOLDEN AGE BOOK :shy:  and no I'm not shouting

:tink:

But that selection doesn't show up on the mobile app for this item

Screenshot_2019-07-11-08-42-46.png