• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Bird said:

This seems to be a service for the buyers, and not sellers right? The cgc blurb says that it "helps you make a smarter purchase" so I don't think it is for seller's listings. But if it gets used that way and is included those of us who do not use the service in our listings may get shut out as buyer's would prefer a listing with a "likely" grade from cgc.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Correct, if this takes off you would see a lot of big changes. First would obviously be incorrect grades. 2nd would be seller manipulation (hello photoshop). 3rd and probably most important would be a whole new grading concept based on invisible inventory

This is meant to be a helpful tool and guidance to the book in question.  To be graded and encapsulated, it would still have to be submitted and go through the process.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, I like pie said:

Neat idea but lets get more people in receiving to cut down the 10 business days it's taking to log books in.

We're working on cutting down that delay,

42 minutes ago, Brittany M. said:

agreed. wings are for hot sauce.

@Brittany M.

I’m down on the beach right now... 

When I head back later do I get:

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Montauk Summer Ale

Corona 

Miller High Life (if people are actually into that sort of thing)

these are pressing questions... 

24 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

@Brittany M.

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Montauk Summer Ale

Corona 

you forgot to mention its a 6.0-8.0 beach so you might need a 6.0-8.0 kind of beverage.. if your that kind of a collector

Say Corona or Miller Highlife IMO should match..:tink:

1 hour ago, Brittany M. said:

To be graded... it would still have to be submitted and go through the process.

I am under the assumption that the book is being assigned a likely grade with this new service without being sent in. Isn't that correct?

Hope you are well 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

@Brittany M.

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Montauk Summer Ale

Corona 

Corona with a slice of lime and a dash of salt. easy question :)

Have fun!!!

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:o 

What do I get?

You can request a preliminary opinion of authenticity ($5) or a preliminary opinion of authenticity and grade ($10). The $10 option also includes a FREE label type opinion.

Possible authenticity opinions
  • Likely Genuine
  • Likely Not Genuine
  • Inconclusive (full refund)
Possible grade opinions
  • Comics, Magazines, and Concert Posters
  • Likely 8.0 - 10.0
  • Likely 6.0 - 8.0
  • Likely 4.0 - 6.0
  • Likely 2.0 - 4.0
  • Likely 0.5 - 2.0
  • Likely No Grade
  • Likely Individual Page
  • Likely Cover

The Likely 8.0 to 10.0 grade range is too broad for this service to be of use for those looking for NM or better moderns.  Unless the service also indicates which end of the range the book is more likely on, I can guess that range for free. Most listings described as NM are often VF to VF/NM range which is where most buyers of NM are trying to avoid.

I also wonder if sellers or buyers purchasing these grade authenticity services can use that to get out of assigning their own grade and avoiding returns due to SNAD on the grade. 

I also suppose the option to purchase this service will be available through ebay or the ebay app and offered for a fee to sellers for their listings.

The next genius idea will be CGC or CCS offering a Pressable authenticity service:

• Likely Pressable to 8.0 - 10.0
  • Likely Pressable to 6.0 - 8.0
  • Likely Pressable to 4.0 - 6.0
  • Likely Pressable to 2.0 - 4.0
  • Likely Pressable to 0.5 - 2.0
  • Likely Not Pressable
  • Likely Pressed based on CGC grade date and slab configuration
  • Likely Unpressed based on CGC grade date and slab configuration

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Okay, wow I did not read the original info completely. That's cray cray. Why would they do something that, in my opinion, devalues their services as a whole? Is a company willing to give grade opinions in such a slap dash way an entity that I trust for other services?

I don't consider "Likely 8.0 - 10.0" to be slapdash. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

@Brittany M.

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Montauk Summer Ale

Corona 

Please don't say you put fruit wedges in beer do you? 

So, if a CGC grader looks at a book they believe will be graded at an 8.0 how exactly are they going to label it? 8.0-10.0 or 6.0-8.0? Because I'd imagine if it's given the bucket of 8.0-10.0 it will attract a higher price from buyer's using this service... 

Which leads to the obvious point which is that it'd be a lot better if these ranges weren't set buckets, but dynamic. So, you could see a listing that was 7.0 - 9.0 and another listing that was 8.0-10.0, and another listing that was 6.5-8.5, etc. It still allows CGC the same margin for error without having these fixed cutoff points. 

I wish the ranges were tighter in general but at the very least I'd hope they aren't fixed as advertised. Also seems like this would be in CGC's best interest as well, since they now wouldn't have to make tight calls when a book is on one of the cutoff points. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by wiparker824

9 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

So, if a CGC grader looks at a book they believe will be graded at an 8.0 how exactly are they going to label it? 8.0-10.0 or 6.0-8.0? Because I'd imagine if it's given the bucket of 8.0-10.0 it will attract a higher price from buyer's using this service... 

Which leads to the obvious point which is that it'd be a lot better if these ranges weren't set buckets, but dynamic. So, you could see a listing that was 7.0 - 9.0 and another listing that was 8.0-10.0, and another listing that was 6.5-8.5, etc. It still allows CGC the same margin for error without having these fixed cutoff points. 

I wish the ranges were tighter in general but at the very least I'd hope they aren't fixed as advertised. Also seems like this would be in CGC's best interest as well, since they now wouldn't have to make tight calls when a book is on one of the cutoff points. Just my 2 cents.

quality post @Brittany M. Just food for thought?

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

@Brittany M.

Brooklyn Summer Ale

Montauk Summer Ale

Corona 

Miller Low Life all the way. it is after all the champagne of beers!

BUT if available I will always go with some Narragansett. Made on honor, Sold on merit! (thumbsu

:tink:

7 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just put CGC's advertising to work, and say, "You want this, can't tell condition from the pics? Me neither, my cat made this listing, pay CGC and they'll give you an estimate!"

Can’t wait for all the raw listings on eBay to have “Ask CGC” in their titles :tonofbricks:

26 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Can’t wait for all the raw listings on eBay to have “Ask CGC” in their titles :tonofbricks:

:flipbait:money it's a gas!

Share it fairly, but keep your hands off of my stack(sh?)