• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

I think it's worthless, a waste of money, and a waste of time for the graders, who should be busy...grading my comics. 

Do I really need someone to tell me that a book is in the 8.0-10.0 range? ???

Edited by newshane

3 minutes ago, D84 said:

This feels like a cash grab.

Indeed....

kind of like the special label partnerships. 

23 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What do I get?

You can request a preliminary opinion of authenticity ($5) or a preliminary opinion of authenticity and grade ($10). The $10 option also includes a FREE label type opinion.

Possible authenticity opinions
  • Likely Genuine
  • Likely Not Genuine
  • Inconclusive (full refund)
Possible grade opinions
  • Comics, Magazines, and Concert Posters
  • Likely 8.0 - 10.0
  • Likely 6.0 - 8.0
  • Likely 4.0 - 6.0
  • Likely 2.0 - 4.0
  • Likely 0.5 - 2.0
  • Likely No Grade
  • Likely Individual Page
  • Likely Cover
  • Inconclusive ($5 refund)
Possible label type opinions
  • Likely Universal (BLUE)
  • Likely Qualified (GREEN)
  • Likely Restored (PURPLE)
  • Inconclusive

Learn more >

You will also get a voucher (sent by email) equal to the amount paid that can be used to submit the comic to CGC for regular grading services. The voucher is valid for 90 days after your purchase of CGC Expert Review.

FAQs

Am I just missing the "The book in the pictures is Likely Genuine, but this listing is from a copycat scammer from China rather than the genuine seller, you dumb :censored:" opinion?

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Am I just missing the "The book in the pictures is Likely Genuine, but this listing is from a copycat scammer from China rather than the genuine seller, you dumb :censored:" opinion?

:roflmao:they call it "inconclusive" though lol but cgc will make a killing on GSXM 1 and IH 180 & 181 listings haha

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

I believe so. He can use someones' names.

Unbelievable, his ads in early books would cause me palpatations. Prices seemed too good to be true and his promises were even more than that. Always trusted my gut. Came to find out how much scamming was involved and steered me away from comics for years. Disturbing if hes still doing this nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Casablanca said:

Unbelievable, his ads in early books would cause me palpatations. Prices seemed too good to be true and his promises were even more than that. Always trusted my gut. Came to find out how much scamming was involved and steered me away from comics for years. Disturbing if hes still doing this nonsense.

I am sorry that you were victimized. He almost got me but I caught him in some ways so most of his books were returned without a single incident. Thanks to eBay's protection policy.

Footbaaaall  team....:whistle:

Always wanted to learn that on the bass, glad I stuck to rythym guitar instead lol

Usually when solo I play the bass riffs anyway lol

Solo you can't hear me (:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

the real money maker is the virtually guaranteed $5 for using the $10 authenticity AND grading service + the unlikihood that you would use the $5 voucher in 90 days. I might consider using it if they would offer just the grading service for $5 by itself. 

chances are inconclusive listings will be the bulk of the requests as it is exactly those types of listing that buyers would require this service and have a hard time with: blurry photo, cropped images, etc. 

to really ensure you get the full value of this service is to only use it on listings that have clear close ups of the front, back, interior covers, and each interior page.

otherwise you might as well be submitting an obvious FN/VF book in for a 9.8 prescreen or paying for graders notes on a CGC 9.8. easy money all day long for cgc.

It's still raining :( 

I also want to thank CGC for allowing me use this thread as my personal instagram page for the day. 

6 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

So, if a CGC grader looks at a book they believe will be graded at an 8.0 how exactly are they going to label it? 8.0-10.0 or 6.0-8.0? Because I'd imagine if it's given the bucket of 8.0-10.0 it will attract a higher price from buyer's using this service... 

Which leads to the obvious point which is that it'd be a lot better if these ranges weren't set buckets, but dynamic. So, you could see a listing that was 7.0 - 9.0 and another listing that was 8.0-10.0, and another listing that was 6.5-8.5, etc. It still allows CGC the same margin for error without having these fixed cutoff points. 

I wish the ranges were tighter in general but at the very least I'd hope they aren't fixed as advertised. Also seems like this would be in CGC's best interest as well, since they now wouldn't have to make tight calls when a book is on one of the cutoff points. Just my 2 cents.

I was wondering this myself. Shouldn't the grade ranges be something like 6.0-7.5 and 8.0-10? I foresee the overlapping causing issues for buyers on certain books in the grey areas 6.0 8.0 etc.. definitely a cash grab but it could be useful to sellers when selling certain raw books on eBay.