• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, firefighterdawg said:

Expert Review Service...Review
Are you f**king kidding me?
Pay us a low cost service fee to guarantee your eyes do not deceive you. 
Basically, stating eBay, and Paypal by default, with all of their safeguards in place to protect us from scams, are basically worthless.
We now need an extra layer of protection to protect us from scammers. 
Just like buying a new car, the consumer is handed from one level of sales persons to the next so that every scammer can have their chance at getting a hand into the consumer’s pocket. 
What’s next? A Trusted Expert Review Service. 
Ad: As a Truly Times Ten Trusted Expert Review Service we guarantee to guarantee this graded apple core to have come directly from the rubbish bin of someone who may, or may not have, owned a comic graded 3.5 and possibly having been in a box of comics owned by someone who may, or may not have, viewed a Nicholas Cage movie. NOTE: Nicholas Cage was definitely known to collect comic books. 
DISCLAIMER:
TTTTERS neither certifies, nor denies, Nicholas Cage actually ever existed, though Mr. Cage’s existence may be confirmed by submitting your collectible thru the twelfth dimension portal of our sister company CGC (Collector Gullibility Corporation)
From ME; Guys, I love CGC to death. This new 'service' is a carbunkle on the festering sore of someone's insufficiently_thoughtful_person nephew's last chance at avoiding an actual original idea. 

There are numerous periodic instances of a newbie joining the forum, posting images, and asking an opinion of grade. And the pics show obvious evidence of restoration or trimming, both of which they did not realize although they are looking at the same book live, that we're looking at images of. For those, this is a valuable tool that CGC is offering. If everyone's expertise was average to above average CGC forum member level, not as valuable a service as to those in the majority of the hobby, who may benefit from the 2nd opinion for a very small charge compared to actual submitting, and the opinion can be taken into consideration prior to making the purchase, rather than too late, afterwards.

Many hobbies and investments in different arenas have this type of second opinion available. The comic hobby at large will also benefit by it, because it's a pre-purchase resource.

2 hours ago, musicmeta said:

Might work for newbies is all I can see for this service. 

It will work for newbies. It's not meant to be exacting. That's for the actual submission. But the ballpark estimate based on images alone are used to the benefit of many in plenty of different hobbies. Comics should have it too. It's about time. It's a look before you leap option, and I'm sure, that as in other hobbies, CGC's ballpark quick opinion, will save many from leaping into the abyss, before they buy. That's 10 bucks, or whatever it is, well spent.

Edited by James J Johnson

59 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It will work for newbies. It's not meant to be exacting. That's for the actual submission. But the ballpark estimate based on images alone are used to the benefit of many in plenty of different hobbies. Comics should have it too. It's about time. It's a look before you leap option, and I'm sure, that as in other hobbies, CGC's ballpark quick opinion, will save many from leaping into the abyss, before they buy. That's 10 bucks, or whatever it is, well spent.

Only issue I see is the massive number of cheap books for sale on feeBay (by cheap I would say less than $20). Once you factor in the inherent feeBay fees/paypal/shipping and the like, now add another $10 for this service.

At what price point does this new service offering make fiscal sense for the seller? More than a $20 book? $50? $100? (shrug)

I will once again invoke @valiantman who did some excellent analysis of SLABBED sales on feeBay, which if I remember correctly, was actually quite a low dollar amount on average (less than $50 maybe?)

I will reiterate that the marketing aspect of this is truly brilliant, just trying to understand things from a customer value-add perspective.

6 minutes ago, bc said:

Only issue I see is the massive number of cheap books for sale on feeBay (by cheap I would say less than $20). Once you factor in the inherent feeBay fees/paypal/shipping and the like, now add another $10 for this service.

At what price point does this new service offering make fiscal sense for the seller? More than a $20 book? $50? $100? (shrug)

I will once again invoke @valiantman who did some excellent analysis of SLABBED sales on feeBay, which if I remember correctly, was actually quite a low dollar amount on average (less than $50 maybe?)

I will reiterate that the marketing aspect of this is truly brilliant, just trying to understand things from a customer value-add perspective.

This I'm confused by, because it is up to any potential buyer....edit it is freely offered option by ever seller to the buyer for the buyer to pay $5/$10, the buyer can pick any listing of their choice for the options....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Somewhere, there's someone thinking "I really want a high grade first appearance of [fill in the blank], and I see one for sale on Ebay. The seller says it's Near Mint, but they're asking $1,000.  When I send it to CGC it will be worth $2,000!  But I wonder what the experts would say?"

CGC Review says "4.0 to 6.0" - buyer realizes that's a long way from "Near Mint" and saves $1,000.

In theory that would be a good thing.  In practice, I don't know how many people who do zero homework are also cautious.

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This I'm confused by, because it is up to any potential buyer....edit it is freely offered option by ever seller to the buyer for the buyer to pay $5/$10, the buyer can pick any listing of their choice for the options....

Sorry, still confused by the whole offering.

Still, an extra $10 for a "cheap" book raises the cost point. I can see the value on a $1,000 book as valiantman posted, but would a buyer spend $10 on a $50 book to get it "likely" verified & graded?

4 minutes ago, bc said:

Sorry, still confused by the whole offering.

Still, an extra $10 for a "cheap" book raises the cost point. I can see the value on a $1,000 book as valiantman posted, but would a buyer spend $10 on a $50 book to get it "likely" verified & graded?

I agree. BUT lol there always is one, why would someone pay for graders notes? I'm sure some pay for "grader's notes" for slabs before buying them to see if they are pressable so maybe idk lol 

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

Do we know when it starts? And I wish they’d focus on perfecting their current services before offering new ones.

It's already on ebay listings.... I posted a screenshot a while back :foryou: 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree. BUT lol there always is one, why would someone pay for graders notes? I'm sure some pay for "grader's notes" for slabs before buying them to see if they are pressable so maybe idk lol 

It’s already here?! Holy carp...sorry I couldn’t deal with the 12 pages...

12 hours ago, firefighterdawg said:

Expert Review Service...Review
Are you f**king kidding me?
Pay us a low cost service fee to guarantee your eyes do not deceive you. 
Basically, stating eBay, and Paypal by default, with all of their safeguards in place to protect us from scams, are basically worthless.
We now need an extra layer of protection to protect us from scammers. 
Just like buying a new car, the consumer is handed from one level of sales persons to the next so that every scammer can have their chance at getting a hand into the consumer’s pocket. 
What’s next? A Trusted Expert Review Service. 
Ad: As a Truly Times Ten Trusted Expert Review Service we guarantee to guarantee this graded apple core to have come directly from the rubbish bin of someone who may, or may not have, owned a comic graded 3.5 and possibly having been in a box of comics owned by someone who may, or may not have, viewed a Nicholas Cage movie. NOTE: Nicholas Cage was definitely known to collect comic books. 
DISCLAIMER:
TTTTERS neither certifies, nor denies, Nicholas Cage actually ever existed, though Mr. Cage’s existence may be confirmed by submitting your collectible thru the twelfth dimension portal of our sister company CGC (Collector Gullibility Corporation)
From ME; Guys, I love CGC to death. This new 'service' is a carbunkle on the festering sore of someone's insufficiently_thoughtful_person nephew's last chance at avoiding an actual original idea. 

Probably the boldest first post I've ever seen...welcome to the boards!  :golfclap:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I buy the graders notes for anything GA over a few hundred bucks that I am seriously considering buying (specifically looking for rust information as it is rarely noted on the label and often difficult to tell by a scan).

1 minute ago, bc said:

I buy the graders notes for anything GA over a few hundred bucks that I am seriously considering buying (specifically looking for rust information as it is rarely noted on the label and often difficult to tell by a scan).

and this service will offer resto check, so there might be something to it for some :) and after you've paid, you get a $5/$10 voucher toward subbing in the next 90 days....

I'm neither for nor against this, as it's a service that I agree that is uneeded "for me", but it does have some pluses 

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:
9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Who’s gonna try it out and share the results ?:popcorn:

That's basically what I posted when I did the screenshot lol but I'm not in the market for a book yet, still then I'm not sure I would lol 

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

and this service will offer resto check, so there might be something to it for some :) and after you've paid, you get a $5/$10 voucher toward subbing in the next 90 days....

I'm neither for nor against this, as it's a service that I agree that is uneeded "for me", but it does have some pluses 

I don't see anything about a resto check in the email notice - maybe I'm also misreading that as well? Was thinking the "authenticity review" was more for Famous First editions & reprints that can be easily manipulated to look like the real deal.

From the email notice:

CGC Expert Review offers the following services on eBay:

Authenticity Review ($5 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the collectible’s authenticity. The preliminary opinions of authenticity include Likely Genuine, Likely Not Genuine and Inconclusive.

Authenticity and Grade Review ($10 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the item’s authenticity and, if it is Likely Genuine, a preliminary opinion of its grade range. The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0, Likely No Grade, Likely Individual Page, Likely Cover and Inconclusive.

Just now, bc said:

I don't see anything about a resto check in the email notice - maybe I'm also misreading that as well? Was thinking the "authenticity review" was more for Famous First editions & reprints that can be easily manipulated to look like the real deal.

From the email notice:

Authenticity Review ($5 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the collectible’s authenticity. The preliminary opinions of authenticity include Likely Genuine, Likely Not Genuine and Inconclusive.

Authenticity and Grade Review ($10 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the item’s authenticity and, if it is Likely Genuine, a preliminary opinion of its grade range. The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0, Likely No Grade, Likely Individual Page, Likely Cover and Inconclusive.

it's in the email, which is the 2nd to 3rd post in this thread :foryou:  "Likely blue universal, likely green qualified, likely purple restored"....

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 minutes ago, bc said:

From the email notice:

it's in the email, which is the 2nd to 3rd post in this thread :foryou:  "Likely blue universal, likely green qualified, likely purple restored"....

:o 

What do I get?

You can request a preliminary opinion of authenticity ($5) or a preliminary opinion of authenticity and grade ($10). The $10 option also includes a FREE label type opinion.

Possible authenticity opinions
  • Likely Genuine
  • Likely Not Genuine
  • Inconclusive (full refund)
Possible grade opinions
  • Comics, Magazines, and Concert Posters
  • Likely 8.0 - 10.0
  • Likely 6.0 - 8.0
  • Likely 4.0 - 6.0
  • Likely 2.0 - 4.0
  • Likely 0.5 - 2.0
  • Likely No Grade
  • Likely Individual Page
  • Likely Cover
  • Inconclusive ($5 refund)
Possible label type opinions
  • Likely Universal (BLUE)
  • Likely Qualified (GREEN)
  • Likely Restored (PURPLE)
  • Inconclusive

Learn more >

You will also get a voucher (sent by email) equal to the amount paid that can be used to submit the comic to CGC for regular grading services. The voucher is valid for 90 days after your purchase of CGC Expert Review.

FAQs

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

(thumbsu Thanks again sir!

That would have been some good info to include in the email notice.

Just now, bc said:

(thumbsu Thanks again sir!

That would have been some good info to include in the email notice.

Right? lol I was going to edit, it doesn't appear in the "email" but when you click the link in the email it comes up :) 

Even then you have to keep scrolling down lol even when it seems the end of the message scroll down to see it lol