• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
3 3

275 posts in this topic

This offers a bit more info...

You have to have an associate or higher cgc membership and the voucher "is given to the purchaser of the service"

Sounds non-transferable 

CGC and eBay Partner on Expert Review Service
CGC and eBay have partnered to launch CGC Expert Review, a low-cost service that provides a preliminary review of comic books by CGC experts. The service is available for comics that have not been certified by a third-party grading service.

CGC Expert Review offers the following services on eBay:

Authenticity Review ($5 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the collectible’s authenticity. The preliminary opinions of authenticity include Likely Genuine, Likely Not Genuine and Inconclusive.
Authenticity and Grade Review($10 per collectible): A CGC expert examines the photos from the eBay listing and provides a preliminary opinion of the item’s authenticity and, if it is Likely Genuine, a preliminary opinion of its grade range. The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0, Likely No Grade, Likely Individual Page, Likely Cover and Inconclusive.

CGC will provide the results within two business days. An Inconclusive opinion on authenticity will result in a full refund. A grade of Inconclusive will result in a $5 refund.

To use this service, shoppers should look for the CGC Expert Review link on the page of the eBay listing of an uncertified collectible.

As an added benefit, CGC will give the person who purchased the CGC Expert Review service a voucher toward CGC’s full authentication, grading and encapsulation services. The voucher is equal to the amount paid for the review and is valid for 90 days from the date of purchase. An Associate or higher CGC Collector membership is required to submit collectibles to CGC for its regular grading services.

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

You're forgetting one thing

cgc partnered with eBay 

this is probably where the "big news" part kicks in. The idea is to probably make this cgc authentication, through eBay, a new thing. 

Im willing to bet that cgc knows something that we don't regarding online grading. Just my hunch ;)

As I said, collectors should obviously be able to tell fair, very good, fine, and very fine plus condition on their own...

I could see maybe making my own eBay listing for a $10 resto check, but I'm the seller and never the buyer. As cgc would email me the results I could then add those to my listing and lower the price to fmv.

But the voucher for credit toward a cgc sub I believe is non-transferable, meaning since I paid as the seller and never the buyer for the service, I can only add the estimations to the listing and not the voucher...

"The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0, Likely No Grade, Likely Individual Page, Likely Cover and Inconclusive."

wow, they're really going out on a limb and putting themselves out there! hm

1 minute ago, jcjames said:

"The preliminary opinions of grade range include Likely 8.0–10.0, Likely 6.0–8.0, Likely 4.0–6.0, Likely 2.0–4.0, Likely 0.5–2.0, Likely No Grade, Likely Individual Page, Likely Cover and Inconclusive."

wow, they're really going out on a limb and putting themselves out there! hm

the resto check is something to smile about though...

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Where did it say they do a restoration check? I didn't see that.

click on aweandlorders link and keep scrolling down

of course it's only put as "likely universal label, purple label etc"

8 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Where did it say they do a restoration check? I didn't see that.

What do I get?

You can request a preliminary opinion of authenticity ($5) or a preliminary opinion of authenticity and grade ($10). The $10 option also includes a FREE label type opinion.

Possible authenticity opinions
  • Likely Genuine
  • Likely Not Genuine
  • Inconclusive (full refund)
Possible grade opinions
  • Comics, Magazines, and Concert Posters
  • Likely 8.0 - 10.0
  • Likely 6.0 - 8.0
  • Likely 4.0 - 6.0
  • Likely 2.0 - 4.0
  • Likely 0.5 - 2.0
  • Likely No Grade
  • Likely Individual Page
  • Likely Cover
  • Inconclusive ($5 refund)
Possible label type opinions
  • Likely Universal (BLUE)
  • Likely Qualified (GREEN)
  • Likely Restored (PURPLE)
  • Inconclusive

Learn more >

You will also get a voucher (sent by email) equal to the amount paid that can be used to submit the comic to CGC for regular grading services. The voucher is valid for 90 days after your purchase of CGC Expert Review.

FAQs

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is this a sign of the impending crash? :ohnoez:

i could have sworn people were clammering for this not to long ago. this thread instead is kind of lack luster imo....

i thought this would be great for novices... oh welll

Send me the link to the listing in question on eBay, using that broad of a window on possible grade and vagueness on whether its genuine or not, and I'll give you an answer in 2 business hours and only charge you half the cost.

I am a tad torn on this "service"  but I hope it helps the market and doesn't hurt TATs.

Hmmm they could just push all the images from Ebay into the spare a grade forum and get the answers there and pay us a nominal fee/slab credit? :idea: