• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes variant cover valuable??
1 1

77 posts in this topic

Rarity?  Artist?  What?  Why does one low print variant fade into oblivion and another explode ???  I'll take my answer on the air.

I hope someone has an answer.  What makes some random book variant pop?  What happens??

I'm of the nature of 'who cares' unless it's an awesome variant. 

This is still one of my favorite ASM Variants - The book folds at the center of the Spider so each side of the comic only features half of Peter Parker.  I love it though as it features Marcos Martin work on all of Spider-mans enemies and backup characters. 

707303_70606f1032bdc1c10c9591a2519b40ef0

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Those are shadows dammit !

Damn pesky blue shadows...

Wait, wasn’t Blue Shadows a Johnny Depp movie?!?

Spider-Man...Kurt Wagner...Blue Shadows...Johnny Depp...nonsensical cologne commercials...Spider-Man is going to endorse Eau de Cristian D’or’s Toilette!!!!!   :whatthe:

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Demand 

I guess my question is how does the demand happen?  Does word of mouth or something make everyone suddenly scramble for one book as opposed to another?  Is there any logic to it? 

7 hours ago, kav said:

I guess my question is how does the demand happen?  Does word of mouth or something make everyone suddenly scramble for one book as opposed to another?  Is there any logic to it? 

Discussion of comic book collecting.

Insertion of word "logic" into discussion.

Kav make funny.

I think some people like a particular cover artist and seek those out so a popular cover artist of a book that maybe has fewer distributed copies sells for more. Some collectors still try and follow the completist path (sad for them) and companies prey on this. Fear of missing out may play into it. I think the question could apply to any comic really. Collectors could have bought Iron Man #219 anytime from its release to a year ago for $1 and picked up a CGC 9.8 for like $40 but when the ghost appeared in the Ant man movie prices shot up north of $400. Why would someone be interested now? Ghost isn't that interesting of a character and hasn't made that many appearances. Now that the hype is dying down its last sale was $175 and will continue to sink IMO. 

I do not get involved with new books, however...

The same thing held true in the early 90's with books like X-Men 1 and Ghost Rider 15 so my guess would be speculation, why one over the other, I don't know, eye appeal, human nature, word of mouth, keeping up with the Jones???

Although I apparently did not spell it correctly and my computer did not offer a correction...

Keeping up with the Joneses is an idiom in many parts of the English-speaking world referring to the comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.