• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes variant cover valuable??
1 1

77 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Although I apparently did not spell it correctly and my computer did not offer a correction...

Keeping up with the Joneses is an idiom in many parts of the English-speaking world referring to the comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.

lol oh I thought u meant the show keeping up with the Kardashian's... wow I misspelled their name and my computer corrected it that's scary...… 

to actually give a answer to Kav….. I believe its marketing, FOMO and following specific artists. I remember J. Scott Campbell and liked his artwork he wasn't as popular would sign for free even CGC SS stuff now he's huge a few people saw the prices go up on his variant and everyone started to flock to him. So word of mouth and following helps push this as well as OMG I have to have this very rare variant or this very rare CGC graded 9.9 or 10. I think the Variant is to compensate/ compete with in a modern collectors view for the SA and GA rare comics that survived the trash can, etc... 

Just my 2c

In theory 

1. Artist

2. Character

3. Significance of book/story

In reality, with a few notable exceptions, is it a house of cards that will collapse.  With the ever shrinking new comic market, and the fact that mostly a few completionists or people with more money than brain are buying these books, the market is not sustainable. 

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

In theory 

1. Artist

2. Character

3. Significance of book/story

In reality, with a few notable exceptions, is it a house of cards that will collapse.  With the ever shrinking new comic market, and the fact that mostly a few completionists or people with more money than brain are buying these books, the market is not sustainable. 

Why not we got old and new and young and weird and new (wait I think I said that) throwing tons of money at people with books... so why wouldn't it sustain its self Older people want books back or memories, younger people have FOMO, new people want to make a buck. So I see this as a great sustainable venue....

id say "perceived value" and "true value" are the factors here. Just because a book is 1:100 to me doesn't make it valuable, but to a modern collector it has perceived value thus them willing to spend money.  In the end its only worth what people are willing to spend on it.

33 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Why not we got old and new and young and weird and new (wait I think I said that) throwing tons of money at people with books... so why wouldn't it sustain its self Older people want books back or memories, younger people have FOMO, new people want to make a buck. So I see this as a great sustainable venue....

The difference is between a manufactured collectable vs. a true collectable.  The new varient covers are rare only because a company decided not to print a whole bunch in an attempt to manipulate the supply side of the economic curve. Also with the ratio variants it is very hard to tell just how many exist.  We have seen situations where diamond has cleaned house of unsold books in warehouses and sold supposedly rare variants for pennies. Suddenly, that supply side gets flooded and things bottom out. In addition,  most varient covers create a gotta have it rush when the come out, only to be available for much less.months down the road.

The older key books are rare because they became rare after decades of copies being lost and destroyed.  They were made purely for consumption, and in very high volume. Nobody imagined they would have long term value. In this market demand (not artificially manipulating supply) is dictating the value. The odds of a flood of new copies surfacing is much less, and if anything the supply is always dwindling between continued loses, and being place in permanent collections. Price based on demand in this senerio is much more stable then companies manipulating the market through supply.

This could change years from now, and a select few variants have crossed over to having value dictated by demand.  But those are very few considering the dozens of variants being currently dumped on the market every week.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

There are many reasons people give, but I've decided that the one that I like best is...

It would still be a key issue even if it wasn't a variant.

That's a winner every time. :foryou:

If that was true shouldnt both versions of edge of spider verse #2 be worth about the same?  One is like $100 the other is like $1000-$2000

3 minutes ago, kav said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

There are many reasons people give, but I've decided that the one that I like best is...

It would still be a key issue even if it wasn't a variant.

That's a winner every time. :foryou:

If that was true shouldnt both versions of edge of spider verse #2 be worth about the same?  One is like $100 the other is like $1000-$2000

No, the rare one should be worth more.

What I'm saying is that books which are ALREADY valuable even if they're aren't variants are actually quality books.

Regular $100, Variant $1,000 <= Makes Sense

Regular $5, Variant $20,000 <= Danger, Danger Will Robinson!

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What I'm saying is that books which are ALREADY valuable even if they're aren't variants are actually quality books.

Oh the pain...the pain...

5 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I think the question could apply to any comic really. Collectors could have bought Iron Man #219 anytime from its release to a year ago for $1 and picked up a CGC 9.8 for like $40 but when the ghost appeared in the Ant man movie prices shot up north of $400. Why would someone be interested now? Ghost isn't that interesting of a character and hasn't made that many appearances. Now that the hype is dying down its last sale was $175 and will continue to sink IMO. 

That's a completely different thing. It's understandable that a character getting a larger role will draw some attention, which creates demand. Of course the attention isn't going to last and the demand will likely disappear and the short-term prices are stupid... which actually is similar to most variants, but not the ones kav is asking about.

The Ghost in the movie ended up being only vaguely similar to the comic version, so I don't know why anybody would care about the comic based on the movie anyway.

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But some variants barely even exist, according to secret documents that only people with no credibility are allowed to see.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

But some variants barely even exist, according to secret documents that only people with no credibility are allowed to see.

In that case, Will Robinson should absolutely ignore the danger. What's the worst that could happen?  Losing thousands of dollars? No problem.

Don't meals cost thousands of dollars over time? They have zero resale value. :kidaround:

2 hours ago, OrangeNemesis said:

id say "perceived value" and "true value" are the factors here. Just because a book is 1:100 to me doesn't make it valuable, but to a modern collector it has perceived value thus them willing to spend money.  In the end its only worth what people are willing to spend on it.

Tru dat

2 hours ago, drotto said:

The difference is between a manufactured collectable vs. a true collectable.  The new varient covers are rare only because a company decided not to print a whole bunch in an attempt to manipulate the supply side of the economic curve. Also with the ratio variants it is very hard to tell just how many exist.  We have seen situations where diamond has cleaned house of unsold books in warehouses and sold supposedly rare variants for pennies. Suddenly, that supply side gets flooded and things bottom out. In addition,  most varient covers create a gotta have it rush when the come out, only to be available for much less.months down the road.

The older key books are rare because they became rare after decades of copies being lost and destroyed.  They were made purely for consumption, and in very high volume. Nobody imagined they would have long term value. In this market demand (not artificially manipulating supply) is dictating the value. The odds of a flood of new copies surfacing is much less, and if anything the supply is always dwindling between continued loses, and being place in permanent collections. Price based on demand in this senerio is much more stable then companies manipulating the market through supply.

This could change years from now, and a select few variants have crossed over to having value dictated by demand.  But those are very few considering the dozens of variants being currently dumped on the market every week.

I totally agree I was just answer the OP question of what makes a variant valuable well its cause they are manufacturing value through keeping things supposedly "rare" to compare to the SA, GA comics.