• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake CGC 9.8 Comics

81 posts in this topic

I'm curious I was watching a Youtube video and I remember when I got my CGC 9.8 Batman #404 I remember saying wow CGC actually gave this a 9.8.  But was like ok whatever, must be.

But a buddy of mine on twitter and I were discussing comics and he mentioned to me about CGC scams.  So I checked out the videos and looked at my comic again.  And now I think this book is BS. I don't think this is a real 9.8.  Going to try and attach some pics. You guys tell me what you think?  Anyone else every run into this issue?   

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

If the slab has been opened, the corner posts should be broken/cracked.  It's common to be able to slightly pry open the center edge of the slab.

Edited by comicdonna

12 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

If the slab has been opened, the corner posts should be broken/cracked.  It's common to be able to slightly pry open the center edge of the slab.

Looks like there may be slight cracks. 

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by pewterss
added text

Totally normal 

Ever since the newer slab...

There have been conspiracy theorists...

I missed out on great deals in 2014-2016 because the first modern slab labels were red and I thought couldn't be real ...

Ah well

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Label

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Totally normal 

Ever since the newer slab...

There have been conspiracy theorists...

I missed out on great deals in 2014-2016 because the first modern slab labels were red and I thought couldn't be real ...

Ah well

Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 6.07.52 PM.png

What is it about the books condition that makes you think it is not a 9.8?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve seen a number of CGC 9.8s - especially of late - that I don’t particularly agree with the grade. 

I know that many copies of Batman #404 have bindery tears on the top edge of the front cover. Since it’s technically a printing defect CGC may go easy on it depending on where they’re regarding strictness. 

Also, what is it about the case that makes you think it’s been tampered with?

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

Nothing I see in the picture that jives with a slab that has been tampered with.

What am I missing, Kav?

It looks like the plastic is cracked right over the post area.

Just now, kav said:

If so he would be able to pry it open, right?

Unless they glued it shut, but then I would expect some sort of residue to be seen.

Just now, Crops068 said:

If so he would be able to pry it open, right?

Unless they glued it shut, but then I would expect some sort of residue to be seen.

If you use tiny dot of superglue you wont see any residue.

1 minute ago, kav said:

If you had any of the 2nd gen slabs left to look at, you'd have seen them in the light from taking pics for various reasons... etc

That is normal lighting, the plastic is clear, so what looks like light is actually the post inside the slab. And the edge outside looks like a slit, because it isn't looking "through" the plastic....

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you had any of the 2nd gen slabs left to look at, you'd have seen them in the light from taking pics for various reasons... etc

That is normal lighting, the plastic is clear, so what looks like light is actually the post inside the slab. And the edge outside looks like a slit, because it isn't looking "through" the plastic....

(worship)

9 minutes ago, kav said:

(worship)

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It does, from that angle.

This is what it's supposed to look like, you could see if you got a blurry pic how it would be hard to tell ^^

20190710_202349.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is what it's supposed to look light, you could see if you got a blurry pic how it would be hard to tell

This is not a sentence.

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It does, from that angle.

To me it looks odd or cracked, just took another pic from a different angle.  To me it looks cracked now at this angle, but I NEVER thought it was even possible.  I thought if you tried opening these things the crack would be more noticeable. Also take a look at the thin sticker on the very top. Notice the corner of the label has a crease that breaks color.  I can only see that possibly happening if the sticker was peeled off from that side.  And its looks like as if it was cracked on the upper part where the label is? hmmm I mean shoot, I could be wrong. But that's why I came to you guys.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg