• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Marvel Twice Up OA
1 1

66 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how many published Marvel Silver Age superhero large art covers could possibly exist? 

Example: ASM #1-62.

I realize many cover are lost/destroyed.

I know the large art covers ended around 1967-1968 or so, but I think the titles ended at different times.

I think it would be neat to have a list.

Edited by Timely

On 8/29/2019 at 5:29 AM, hmendryk said:

I never was able to afford silver age Kirby splashes or covers and now his panel pages are too costly for me. So these few are among my most cherished possessions.

TalesOfSuspense92pg09.jpg

This sequence contains one of Marvel's legendary mistakes.   After Cap says "...only one of is gonna walk out of here..." in the next panel he says "And it won't be me!"

On 7/13/2019 at 12:46 AM, GreatEscape said:

Twice-up Kirby FF page where Thing tries to break Silver Surfer’s board in FF #55 (earliest known Surfer art?).  Sinnott inks.

s9VsPNS9_021216122547lola.jpg 

I've no doubt that there are earlier OA Silver Surfer appearances from FF out there, though maybe not 'surfacing' in widely-known circles.  Ken Danker owned the cover to this issue.  Saw it in person over ten years ago whilst on a visit to his home in Florida where I polished off his beer supplies :)

Edited by The Voord

Did a separate thread on this one a few months ago.  Steve Ditko's splash page 1 to Amazing Spider-man # 32.  Yeah, I know, no Spidey, no villains and no characters . . . but I couldn't care less or be any happier.  If you're looking for a great shot of Doc Ock's secret underwater base from the highly-regarded Master-Planner trilogy, this is it!  And what would a 'splash' page be without some Ditko fish ;)

Undoubtedly would have missed the opportunity of snagging this had it not been for Grapape's photographic record of the LA comic-show :)

dRSm0Mxq_2912190556571sbpi.jpg

Edited by The Voord

3 hours ago, Timely said:

Does anyone know how many published Marvel Silver Age superhero large art covers could possibly exist? 

Example: ASM #1-62.

I realize many cover are lost/destroyed.

I know the large art covers ended around 1967-1968 or so, but I think the titles ended at different times.

I think it would be neat to have a list.

ASM #s 12, 28 and 30 are definites.  ASM # 8 reportedly got destroyed in a house fire.  I've heard of a few more Ditko ASM covers in possible existence but have yet to see any concrete evidence.

I've owned maybe half-a-dozen large art Marvel covers at one time, but have only one remaining example in my collection (not really superhero, but it's a sort of cross-over example as it features the origin of Hydra . . . Capt. Savage & His Leatherneck Raiders # 2, which I posted earlier in this thread).

On 2/11/2020 at 5:09 PM, The Voord said:

ASM #s 12, 28 and 30 are definites.  ASM # 8 reportedly got destroyed in a house fire.  I've heard of a few more Ditko ASM covers in possible existence but have yet to see any concrete evidence.

I've owned maybe half-a-dozen large art Marvel covers at one time, but have only one remaining example in my collection (not really superhero, but it's a sort of cross-over example as it features the origin of Hydra . . . Capt. Savage & His Leatherneck Raiders # 2, which I posted earlier in this thread).

For ASM twice up, I have seen, 40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,53,54,55,59,60,61,63.