• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How should Kevin Feige handle actors leaving the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

33 posts in this topic

This next arc we dont know what the "big" story will be. We don't know who the central characters will be. Cap and Iron Man wont be in the center of this one (in part due to the departure of the actors), Tom Holland and Spidey might be

I thought the agreement with Sony only has 1 more pic where Marvel can use SpiderMan.  yes they can always try and strike a new deal (and I hope they do) but Sony many think they're better off without overexposure if they're trying to create a Spidy Universe.

4 hours ago, Turtle said:

This has already happened quite a few times in the MCU.

Mark Ruffalo took over for Edward Norton (Hulk)

Josh Brolin took over for Damian Poitier (Thanos)

Don Cheadle took over for Terrence Howard (War Machine)

Zachary Levi took over for Josh Dallas (Fandral)

and Howard Stark has been played by 3 different people (I only know John Slattery's name off the top of my head).

All that to say that it's not like Feige refuses to cast new actors.  It's been done before. 

This.

Feige has already shown his willingness to re-cast actors with impunity, and no one is irreplaceable -- not even RDJ's Iron Man or Sam Jackson's Nick Fury.

I do find it interesting that Tom Holland's fate is up in the air since there's presumptively only one movie left on his contract -- and that he can't guest appear in any more non-solo films.

But with three actors portraying Spidey in less than 20 years, audiences are probably more primed for a switch there (if necessary) than any character this side of Batman.

I get that we've also seen three actors portray the Hulk in 15 years, but far fewer folks so those early movies than the later Ruffalo ones.

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Continuity in Marvel comics has always been challenging since the editors stopped doing their jobs in the 90s in that every time a new author comes in he tends to have his own ideas that often contradict or run roughshod over the ideas of previous authors.

Fixed. There may have been some problems before that since continuity complexity increases wildly over time, but it didn't have to be just tossed out the window.

The movies can simply focus on other characters for the foreseeable future.

22 hours ago, Antpark said:

I think you can have someone take up the role of the character without needing to be the original one that played it, like Sam Wilson as Captain America. I fully believe that Tom Holland will transition from Spider-Man to Iron Man as he ages and that a new Spider-Man will be brought in to replace him. 

Yeah that was more what I meant. someone will "fill the space" for that type of character...

"Kill" them off for a while, then bring them back with another actor/actress 5 - 10 years later when the movie going public is tired of the next wave of characters.

Actually, given how amazing their 'de-aging' technology is nowadays (think Nick Fury in 'Captain Marvel'), those same actors can do cameos in almost any time period if they wanted them to.  My guess is that we might get a few 'guest appearances' this way in the next phase, but that they won't replace the actors.  We may get a new 'Iron Man' (not Tony Stark) and another 'Captain America' (not Steve Rogers), or maybe even another Hulk (but not Bruce Banner)....I think those human roles are finished in the MCU.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:23 PM, Drummy said:

Actually, given how amazing their 'de-aging' technology is nowadays (think Nick Fury in 'Captain Marvel'), those same actors can do cameos in almost any time period if they wanted them to.  My guess is that we might get a few 'guest appearances' this way in the next phase, but that they won't replace the actors.  We may get a new 'Iron Man' (not Tony Stark) and another 'Captain America' (not Steve Rogers), or maybe even another Hulk (but not Bruce Banner)....I think those human roles are finished in the MCU.

They already have another Captain America - Sam Wilson.

She-Hulk to replace the damaged Banner Hulk..?

Morgan to be the next "Iron (Wo)Man"..?

On 7/11/2019 at 7:05 AM, Turtle said:

Poor Warriors Three.  Always forgotten. 

Didn't even get a proper sendoff...just unceremoniously killed in Ragnarok and no one seemed to care.  Not even Thor. 

It was strange to me that Sif was never mentioned past Dark World after being an important supporting character in the first 2 Thor movies. 

That always bugged me.

In fact, the Thor series had one of the largest supporting casts, and they killed off most of them.  I didn't care for that.