• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracy?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

For one thing no current resonance with the super hero driven gang. For another they were never collected like the DC's or Marvels and were actually pretty plentiful. Additionally, quite a few were strip reprints which have fallen on hard times in today's collecting world.

But you are right there is hidden gold in them thar' books. And some of Tracy's exploits in the thirties and forties were pretty violent and had him in some pretty scrappy situations; those strips would never be published today!

Lack of character recognition or current relevance. Yeah, those are beautiful condition. So are a lot of the many file copies floating around. That isn’t enough to translate into high prices.

I like the character and have a number of his books in my collection because of it. There are some over the top covers in the later roast of the run. I have no expectations of ever making money on them...

Comics starring characters with comic strip origins seem typically worth little compared to those with characters created specifically for comic books.  The Phantom being another example, there are probably dozens more.

3 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

There has been a lot of interest in Mr. Tracy over the years.  His stories have been a good source for movies and serials and there was a bit of hype that surrounded the movie by Beatty but the lukewarm response to the movie didn't result in a big market increase as was expected by speculators.  I am still fond of all of the comic strip characters but don't expect a big price increase until people realize how rare some of the items are.

2526622230_d872fa6988_o.jpg

Nice shot on that cover ha

One of these days I have to go back and rewatch that movie. I think I was barely a teenager when it came out. But it had Pacino and a good cast of villains, how bad could it be? 

You're right though. Been poking through some online inventories.. these books are hard to find. 

I guess non-superhero characters don't appeal in comic form anymore. Just out of curiosity I went to see if James Bond had any runs. Never knew there were so many, let alone an early feature in Showcase

682713.jpg

Edited by nines

5 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

There has been a lot of interest in Mr. Tracy over the years.  His stories have been a good source for movies and serials and there was a bit of hype that surrounded the movie by Beatty but the lukewarm response to the movie didn't result in a big market increase as was expected by speculators.  I am still fond of all of the comic strip characters but don't expect a big price increase until people realize how rare some of the items are.

2526622230_d872fa6988_o.jpg

Who needs to spend all that money on pre-code horror when you can pick up Tracy books for a song filled with this sort of rot!!

20 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Besides, I have a very close affiliation with TRACY.

IMG  DICK TRACY (200 dpi).jpg

27904136241_33c68df9bc.jpg

Wow, how great that you were an important part of the golden age of TV!!  In New York City, we had Officer Joe Bolton introducing the 3 Stooges shorts, Captain Jack with Popeye cartoons and Zacherle doing the horror films. This was an early 1960's thing. Sadly, they got away from the host concept, but I'll remember those guys forever.