• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracy?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2019 at 9:17 AM, nines said:

Hey all. I'm new to the game..can someone answer why Tracy is worth bunk? $215 for this doesn't seem right

RADEE3AA201952_163426.jpg

and this one was valued at $100? This guy gets less respect than Rodney. I don't get it. These books are gorgeous.

RAD7401A201952_163543.jpg

I like both those covers but, as a number of other people have pointed out, Tracy is pretty dead these days. If an equivalent to the Warren Beatty movie were to come out, maybe these books would get a bump. But in 1990, when that movie was made, I think a lot of boomers were still familiar with the character and he was (I'll guess) still appearing in a newspaper strip. Chances of a Tracy movie being made now are negligible, imo. 

The other thing is there are a lot of high-grade Harvey "file copies" out there, which holds down prices on most of their 1950s books. For instance, 1950s romance books are hot, except for Harveys.  High-grade Atlas, DC, and smaller publishers romance books from the 1950s are very tough to impossible to find, while there are a lot of high-grade copies of most of the Harvey romance books. 

Edited by Sqeggs

2 hours ago, AJD said:

Richard Tracy was also quite big in Australia. This series ran for over 100 issues, and there were other titles.

Dick_Tracy_15_Oz.jpg.d35e0c548e9393fb0f3f448877db20c9.jpg

Since nearly all comics were published monthly, kind of funny that both in the U.S. and in Australia, the books were labeled "monthly." I'm trying to think of another comic with monthly in its title. 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:17 AM, nines said:

Hey all. I'm new to the game..can someone answer why Tracy is worth bunk? $215 for this doesn't seem right

and this one was valued at $100? This guy gets less respect than Rodney. I don't get it. These books are gorgeous.

Well, it's rather quite obvious to me that you simply don't understand how this market works by the title of your thread here, as you are clearly using the wrong part of his name.  :gossip:

Now, I am not sure what the name of the guy on this cover is, but the banter between the 2 women in the background sure seems to have paid off big time here:  (tsk)  lol

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Teen-Age Romances #9 (St. John, 1950) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white towhite pages....
After all, you certainly can't complain too much when this copy manages to fetch $10,800 as compared to a condition guide value of only $466.  :whatthe:

Well okay, a CGC 2.5 graded copy was able to reach a piddly sum of only $1,020 as compared to a condition guide value of only $105.   :flipbait:

So, if you forget all about Tracy and just focus on getting D I C K, you'll do just fine.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Since nearly all comics were published monthly, kind of funny that both in the U.S. and in Australia, the books were labeled "monthly." I'm trying to think of another comic with monthly in its title. 

I think, more often than not, single character books in the golden age were less than monthly.  Not always, but not even Superman & Batman were monthly in their own titles until much later.  So I can understand some publishers wanting to call attention to it.  And inertia is a wonderful thing, so the monthly stuck, at least until Blackthorne went weekly with the series in the late 80's.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Marty Mann said:

Besides, I have a very close affiliation with TRACY.

IMG  DICK TRACY (200 dpi).jpg

27904136241_33c68df9bc.jpg

In Detroit we had Soupy Sales with Superman cartoons, Capt. Jolly with Popoeye cartoons.  Jolly was replaced by Poopdeck Paul.  CKLW from Windsor was big on broadcasting old movies and cartoons.  They had a show similar to today's Turner Classic Movies.

Soupy_Sales_Lunch_With_Soupy_1960.jpg

pnpals.gif

updock.jpg

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think, more often than not, single character books in the golden age were less than monthly.  Not always, but not even Superman & Batman were monthly in their own titles until much later.  So I can understand some publishers wanting to call attention to it.  And inertia is a wonderful thing, so the monthly stuck, at least until Blackthorne went weekly with the series in the late 80's.

That's a good point. Some books were quarterlies and others were bi-monthly. I suppose it made sense to alert readers to look for the book each month.