• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you store your most valuable CGCs???
2 2

22 posts in this topic

Hi All. I’ve recently come across what people would call a ‘good problem’. A lot of my cgcs are now in the 1000s range and I’m worried about house fires, flooding, theft. Etc..... 

My question to you high-end guys is, what is the safest way to store expensive books? Any tips on what you use? Also......insurance?? Any suggestions, I’d greatly appreciate. Thank you! 

A lot of people use safe deposit boxes, others refit gun safes, and others just store them. The right answer will lie somewhere in how often you want to see them versus how secure do they need to be for you to be comfortable.  As for insurance, several ways to go with that. You can get a rider on your homeowner's insurance which is a bit pricey, and there are a few insurance brokers that specialize in comics. This discussion comes up often. Here's another thread where it was discussed...

33 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I use this company for insurance for comic book and original art collection. When the summer is over, I plan on putting my most valuable books ($2000+) into a safe deposit bank. Why am I waiting, you ask? I'm a retired teacher, and I supplement my pension by being a substitute teacher. Unfortunately, there are no substitute jobs from early-June to late-August.

Joe

59 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I use this company for insurance for comic book and original art collection. When the summer is over, I plan on putting my most valuable books ($2000+) into a safe deposit bank. Why am I waiting, you ask? I'm a retired teacher, and I supplement my pension by being a substitute teacher. Unfortunately, there are no substitute jobs from early-June to late-August.

Joe

Hi Joe, I am an adjunct faculty teacher for two schools too.  I get paid only 9 months per year. Where can I put my books in a safe place that I would not afford to pay the premium or own the safe box?  It's kinda suck too.

Edited by JollyComics

1 hour ago, Mayor006 said:

A lot of people use safe deposit boxes, others refit gun safes, and others just store them. The right answer will lie somewhere in how often you want to see them versus how secure do they need to be for you to be comfortable.  As for insurance, several ways to go with that. You can get a rider on your homeowner's insurance which is a bit pricey, and there are a few insurance brokers that specialize in comics. This discussion comes up often. Here's another thread where it was discussed...

Great advice...

I store them in the fifth stomach of the fire-breathing, venomous dragon imprisoned within the bowels of the castle in which I live. 

24 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What's his/her name..?

why are you inferring gender titles to the dragon lol. the correct way to reply is to respond with the person name.. I mean with the title of the creature... what is the dragons name? would be the PC way of addressing the other poster. Thank you,

Spoiler

:signfunny:

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Joe

Joe, are you referring to a safe deposit box at a local bank? I was unaware that there are large enough ones at a bank. Plus the costs are probably pretty high

I heard or read someone on this forum that in a bank safety deposit box it could and has the potential to get moisture and could cause rusty staples. some people put silica packs in the storage box but you might have to change them out everyone month or so..

Edited by Krishosein
typo

5 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

why are you inferring gender titles to the dragon lol. the correct way to reply is to respond with the person name.. I mean with the title of the creature... what is the dragons name? would be the PC way of addressing the other poster. Thank you,

Reveal hidden contents

:signfunny:

:censored: please.

4 hours ago, silverweb said:

Joe, are you referring to a safe deposit box at a local bank? I was unaware that there are large enough ones at a bank. Plus the costs are probably pretty high

I took one of my slabs down to make sure it fit. I bank with USBank in Iowa. I was quoted a price of $190 for a 1-year rental. However, my daughter works for USBank, and I think she may be able to get me a discount.

Joe

4 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Hi Joe, I am an adjunct faculty teacher for two schools too.  I get paid only 9 months per year. Where can I put my books in a safe place that I would not afford to pay the premium or own the safe box?  It's kinda suck too.

I was a high school teacher. My salary was always spread out over a 12-month period. When I first started teaching, I was given the option of taking my salary over a 9-month versus a 12-month period. I chose the 12-month period, and I have never regretted it. I get paid my pension every month, but I am currently on a lengthy vacation, and I then have to help pay for my son's wedding. Also, my home insurance, car insurance, and property tax all come due in the late September. That's another reason to put off renting a safe deposit box until October/November.

Joe

you might want to be careful storing your slabs in those metal safety deposit boxes there are some old forums here talking about certain fireproof safes causing staples to rust really fast. You might want to research a little more before tossing them in the box. As environment is a crucial thing for the longevity of the comic and to prevent damage

20 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I honestly don't remember. When I rent one, I'll let you know.

Joe