• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces NEW Pedigree Labels and NEW Pedigrees
3 3

215 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Any chance the "other guys" will start slabbing pulps? Would be a great money maker and a monopoly. Somebody needs to get smart.

Isn't the fragility of many pulps and the tendency for them to have cover overhang that keeps CGC from grading them? Heritage has been auctioning them in the past year or two to a much greater extent than I remember them doing. Or maybe they shifted them over from sci-fi and book auctions to comics. 

At any rate, I think there is significant collector interest in pulps, so they would probably be grading them if they believed they could so without damaging them -- or having to reject large numbers of submissions. 

3 hours ago, telerites said:

I have wondered if they do some type of break-even analysis, specifically to determine the demand for moving into other types of media.  I would guess they do.  They do posters (up to a certain size - I could imagine the encapsulation needed if they did a 3-piece poster, twould be huge lol), lobby cards, and most magazines.

I know doing other media may require new slab designs/sizes and also new encapsulation machines too. 

I have sent in items they would slab although they would fit in their cases.  Here a few that were rejected and it would seem like they would grade them.  The Reform School Girl is not the comic but the paperback novel.  I was told since they did not have pictures they couldn't grade them.  The Green Man and Buried World do have some text illos although they are mostly text.  I wasn't expecting them to read the books and the number of pages.  The Reform School Girl paperback is 128 pgs and appr. 7" x 8".  And especially since there a comic produced later with the same cover - it is comic related.

And the other two are similar or slightly smaller than pulps, they are not thick - similar in thickness to the old TV guides that CGC does grade (at least the ones that are comic related).

986895225_reformschoolgirlfront.jpg.b0f8a397c704f91fb6b3975fac083586.jpg

183470760_greenman.jpg.1498adf9266e56301f8c6a81b010249b.jpg

457976085_buriedworld.jpg.90c615fc8e371ec8b5360aaf38e08838.jpg

Did you submit these as comics or as magazines? 

44 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Any chance the "other guys" will start slabbing pulps? Would be a great money maker and a monopoly. Somebody needs to get smart.

I completely agree. The benefit to the pulp market I do believe would help generate the market to slab them so I think it’s worth the financial effort for someone to explore. Just please not PGX...:ohnoez:

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Did you submit these as comics or as magazines? 

Comics.   They are smaller than comics in dimensions and definitely not as thick nor as many pages as comics like Gift and X-Mas.  I have had CGC correct submissions before like when I subbed my TMNT as comics and they moved them to mags.  These are all about the size of the old TV Guides.

The reason I was given for not accepting them was because they had no pictures.

They do have some illos in them.

Edited by telerites

9 hours ago, telerites said:

Comics.   They are smaller than comics in dimensions and definitely not as thick nor as many pages as comics like Gift and X-Mas.  I have had CGC correct submissions before like when I subbed my TMNT as comics and they moved them to mags.  These are all about the size of the old TV Guides.

The reason I was given for not accepting them was because they had no pictures.

They do have some illos in them.

Interesting because, as you note, they do grade Playboys and TV Guides. Of course, they also grade the Overstreet Guides and Stan Lee's Guide to Comics (or whatever the title is). I would guess eventually they'll expand their slabbing criteria to include items like these. 

22 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Interesting because, as you note, they do grade Playboys and TV Guides. Of course, they also grade the Overstreet Guides and Stan Lee's Guide to Comics (or whatever the title is). I would guess eventually they'll expand their slabbing criteria to include items like these. 

At least CGC doesn't charge a reject like Voldy. 

7 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Anyone got a pic of a restored pedigree with the new label ?

Restored books do not qualify for the new lablel.

CGC Announces a New Pedigree Label

Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) has released a new Pedigree Certification Label. This new black and white label is a way to differentiate exceptional comic book collections known as pedigrees, and will display "CGC Universal Pedigree" in place of "CGC Universal Grade". Only pedigrees that qualify for a Universal grade will receive the new label. 

These new labels will be applied to books submitted as a CGC recognized pedigree through the online submission form starting on July 12th, and first available for show submissions at San Diego Comic Con on July 17th.

A new pedigree is considered when a collection of vintage books in high grade condition is introduced to the collectors market by the original owner. Many pedigree collections were recognized and accepted by the hobby before CGC came into existence.

CGC is also excited to add five new collections to the list of recognized pedigrees. This brings the total number to 59 pedigrees, all of which will be featured on the CGC pedigree site page next week

These new labels will be applied to books submitted as a CGC recognized pedigree through the online submission form starting on July 12th, and first available for show submissions at San Diego Comic Con on July 17th.

A new pedigree is considered when a collection of vintage books in high grade condition is introduced to the collectors market by the original owner. Many pedigree collections were recognized and accepted by the hobby before CGC came into existence.

CGC is also excited to add five new collections to the list of recognized pedigrees. This brings the total number to 59 pedigrees, all of which will be featured on the CGC pedigree site page next week

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

On 7/25/2019 at 3:21 PM, N e r V said:

I don’t know if I just missed it before or they added it recently but here’s all 59 pedigrees that CGC currently lists on their labels.

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree/

What I find totally confusing about this whole thing is that their headine announces 5 new pedigrees and then they proceed to provide details on 6 new pedigrees.  :screwy:  

So, is the Annie Gaines Ashton one of the new pedigrees or is it simply a collection or just a subset of the original Gaines File pedigree since it is not included as one of the 59 official recognized pedigrees?  ???

Edited by lou_fine

46 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

What I find totally confusing about this whole thing is that their headine announces 5 new pedigrees and then they proceed to provide details on 6 new pedigrees.  :screwy:  

So, is the Annie Gaines Ashton one of the new pedigrees or is it simply a collection or just a subset of the original Gaines File pedigree since it is not included as one of the 59 official recognized pedigrees?  ???

9E7700C3-4BF6-4FDF-8E74-0F9348B6D724.thumb.jpeg.3b8173025897fa324ddb66865a89948e.jpeg

42 minutes ago, N e r V said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

9E7700C3-4BF6-4FDF-8E74-0F9348B6D724.thumb.jpeg.3b8173025897fa324ddb66865a89948e.jpeg

Ahhh......I see now, they've both ends of the spectrum covered here.  

It's actually a collection which is really a subset of the original Gaines File Copy.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

Wonder when the Provenance labels come out 

Talking about named Provenance collections, it seems that we are sure seen quite a few of these over the years.  Most of them appear to be be either from famous celebrity collectors who actually don't have a long history in the hobby or from long time collectors in the hobby with extensive collections who most of the marketplace had never heard of before.  (thumbsu

One of the few named Provenance collections which I felt was fully deserved was the Jon Berk Collection which was released into the marketplace back in 2017.  Which then beg the question of why the Bob Overstreet Collection never received its own provenance since it was substantially much larger then the Berk collection and also somebody which absolutely everybody in the hobby would recognize right off the bat?  hm

I assume the reason is that it was unveiled and released into the marketplace about 5 years before CGC even opened their doors.  And yet, they seem to have no problems recognizing pedigrees which had been released decades before they ever opened their doors.  (shrug)

35 minutes ago, D84 said:

After having seen a couple, I think it looks cheap.  Almost like a forgery label done with a black and white printer.

I was not impressed with the ones I saw either.  It is not a label that exudes "class".  I would have preferred it to be in gold, but that is now reserved for Mint copies.

cap3.301a.jpg

2 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I was not impressed with the ones I saw either.  It is not a label that exudes "class".  I would have preferred it to be in gold, but that is now reserved for Mint copies.

cap3.301a.jpg

What is the QES sticker?

4 minutes ago, telerites said:

What is the QES sticker?

QES Certified - Criteria met: Preferred staple placement + Flawless staple area + flawless cover edges + Color Deep Strike(Red)

Basically, another group doing what clink sometimes has on their copies to certify that of the eye appeal of the book.

35 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

QES Certified - Criteria met: Preferred staple placement + Flawless staple area + flawless cover edges + Color Deep Strike(Red)

Basically, another group doing what clink sometimes has on their copies to certify that of the eye appeal of the book.

So another CVA-type certification.  Hadn't seen QES before.

Thanks.

Edited by telerites