• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces NEW Pedigree Labels and NEW Pedigrees
3 3

215 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2019 at 11:37 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Anyone got a pic of a restored pedigree with the new label ?

restored books don't qualify.  poor books do, if the collection was mostly high grade.  So Murphy Anderson's showcase 4 qualifies despite being run over by a truck and a chunk torn away from the cover.   If it was mint except for a sliver of rice paper on a staple, it would not qualify.  

Edited by bluechip

On 7/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, lou_fine said:

Talking about named Provenance collections, it seems that we are sure seen quite a few of these over the years.  Most of them appear to be be either from famous celebrity collectors who actually don't have a long history in the hobby or from long time collectors in the hobby with extensive collections who most of the marketplace had never heard of before.  (thumbsu

One of the few named Provenance collections which I felt was fully deserved was the Jon Berk Collection which was released into the marketplace back in 2017.  Which then beg the question of why the Bob Overstreet Collection never received its own provenance since it was substantially much larger then the Berk collection and also somebody which absolutely everybody in the hobby would recognize right off the bat?  hm

I assume the reason is that it was unveiled and released into the marketplace about 5 years before CGC even opened their doors.  And yet, they seem to have no problems recognizing pedigrees which had been released decades before they ever opened their doors.  (shrug)

Provenance for Overstreet books makes sense, but then so does provenance for celebrity owned books if the celebrity is somebody likely to be known to an interested party or just if the story itself is likely to hold interest.   That's the whole idea behind provenance, actually.   Listen to Sydney Greenstreet's long recounting about the ownership of the Maltese Falcon and it's clear that it matters to him, and to all the people who pieced together that story of the chain of ownership.  

12 minutes ago, D84 said:

The more I see these, the less I like them and would pay more for a Universal Grade than have this cheap, Xerox looking label.

Yes, they sure don't look as nice or seem to stand out as much in real life as when they sent out that email message introducing and hyping the new pedigree labels.

I wonder if they went and borrow the biug huge spotlights from Heritage when they did up the initial pictures for the new pedigree labels.  lol

On 9/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, D84 said:

The more I see these, the less I like them and would pay more for a Universal Grade than have this cheap, Xerox looking label.

You beat me to it, when I first held my copy in hand I thought it looked like a cheap photo copy.

354E868D-CBC7-4CFC-921D-5C40C47A7DC7.thumb.jpeg.6b13a1a5f6281e07f4a474cd7e34f767.jpeg

This and the other slab I just got back do not have Newton Rings, but they do have a lot of scratches and inner well scuffs. I think Quality Control merely makes sure the book title matches the label.   :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

You beat me to it, when I first held my copy in hand I thought it looked like a cheap photo copy.

354E868D-CBC7-4CFC-921D-5C40C47A7DC7.thumb.jpeg.6b13a1a5f6281e07f4a474cd7e34f767.jpeg

This and the other slab I just got back do not have Newton Rings, but they do have a lot of scratches and inner well scuffs. I think Quality Control merely makes sure the book title matches the label.   :facepalm:

..Sorry to hear about the state of the slab Brandon, but for what it's worth, i think from the samples i've seen Bronze books look better in the new label than GA books. 

I think, a darker hue, maybe more 'grey-ish', in the background toning down the 'white' against the black would help. 

It's an understandable move on CGC's part to make Pedigree books standout on sight before you can even make out which Pedigree upon closer inspection, but just needs a little tweaking. 

Stunning copy though!

I agree they're rather drab.  Would have liked to see them do a custom label like they do for the marvel character books, something of a portrait that has something to do with the pedigree.

For example Church books could have been a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains.  Okajima could have been an ariel view of one of the WW2 internment camps.  Receil Macon could be a giant scribbly RECIL across the whole of the label... Denver could be a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains.  Rocky Mountain could be a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains... and so forth.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:40 PM, szav said:

I agree they're rather drab.  Would have liked to see them do a custom label like they do for the marvel character books, something of a portrait that has something to do with the pedigree.

For example Church books could have been a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains.  Okajima could have been an ariel view of one of the WW2 internment camps.  Receil Macon could be a giant scribbly RECIL across the whole of the label... Denver could be a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains.  Rocky Mountain could be a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains... and so forth.

(tsk) I especially don't want a picture on the slab! Yuck! The custom labels are are two thumbs down for me! I like the new Ped label. I must confess, I haven't had one in hand yet...

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

13 minutes ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

(tsk) I especially don't want a picture on the slab! Yuck! The custom labels are are two thumbs down for me! I like them. I must confess I haven't had one in hand yet...

Oh man... you’re probably not going to like my suggestion for the Winnipeg label is a giant pile of snow...and the Vancouver label is a giant pile of snow...