• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closing on a dream.

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I'm not sure location really matters in Bisbee :)

It does, to a degree. I'd much rather be in Old Bisbee, but the spaces I looked at were too much to rent or buy or needed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work. Some weekends, Bisbee gets 15,000 visitors. I need to get them another three miles.

If anyone is interested in helping establish a social media presence in return for low wages and vague promises, PM me.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Why not? hes supposed to have walk in traffic 

Unless hes only concentrating on mail-out

35j6ml.jpg

16 minutes ago, shadroch said:

It does, to a degree. I'd much rather be in Old Bisbee, but the spaces I looked at were too much to rent or buy or needed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work. Some weekends, Bisbee gets 15,000 visitors. I need to get them another three miles.

If anyone is interested in helping establish a social media presence in return for low wages and vague promises, PM me.

Are you opening an LCS? You'll need to study the demographics and apply to the location. But im sure youre aware of it

11 minutes ago, shadroch said:

No. This is a Leap of Faith. No planning, no  studies. Don't have a name, don't have a tax id yet. What I have is a building with spectacular bones and three notebooks and a shoebox full of fifteen years of thinking about such a situation.  Two months ago, I had never been to Bisbee, let alone thinking about opening a shop.

Just going to do it. I'll make mistakes and learn from them. Some of my ideas won't survive the paper, others will be stillborn, some will succeed and others I will steal. My long term goal is to  fix the back up enough for a couple to really enjoy living in, get the front up and running successfully and sell the whole thing to a nice couple who are retiring to the magical town of Bisbee. Either that, or have a full time live in manager run the shop. 

If you build it, they will come.

That's awesome man. CRE is the way to go and with a combined residential/commercial estate one can work wonders. Don't take seasonal rentals out of the equation as they are very popular now and assuming they are not regulated in the area you're moving in can make for a neat cash flow 

Vacation rentals are very popular in Bisbee, but the competition is, shall we say, fierce.  Some of the rental properties are quite colorful.  Bisbee is where hippies go after getting priced out elsewhere.  It was named best small town in America and the cost is right. I'm going to let the market sort itself out. I just this week picked up 850 pieces of abandoned female dry cleaning for $5. At least temporarily I'm in the used clothing business. As a strange aside, several of the garments are new with tags. Evidently some people dry clean new clothes.

9 hours ago, shadroch said:

In just over a hour, I close on a long time dream. I'm purchasing a mixed use building that eventually will be half shop and half my residence. I've been wanting such a place for well over thirty years.

In a strange turn of events, I'd actually come to Bisbee to look at what was supposed to be an absentee investment that didn't work out and it was only a passing comment from someone that led me to it. I have commitments in Vegas thru mid September, so I probably won't open anything until late October. I'm playing with the idea of opening entirely Christmas themed and then reopening in January. One problem I have is there is a Keto bakery occupying about 15% of the space with a lease through the end of the year. We are negotiating an extension but I am not sure they want to stay.

Assuming they stay, that leaves me about two thousand square feet, divided into six rooms.  I've probably drawn out a few dozen layouts but none thrill me, nor have I come up with a.catchy name. I figure if worse come to worse, I can split the building in two and simply rent the front and live in the back. It will be paid for, and taxes are $150 a month. There is a large enclosed veranda that is perfect for an endless garage sale sort of enterprise.  

Forty minutes to go....

:applause:  Congrats, but you know what would make this thread complete?  Pictures. :wishluck:

https://ktar.com/story/1975413/thrillist-bisbee-underrated-city-arizona/ 

Seems an interesting place!

Best of luck - (a goal we are also working towards - with less success than you so far!) - and keep us posted!

I honestly wish you the best in this.

You never know with the hipsters.  One of the things I have learned in hipsterville Brooklyn (Williamsburg and Greenpoint) is that there is nothing that hipsters kind of like.  They either swarm the place in droves or they stay away like the plague. There is one such store on Driggs Avenue that is like a hipster antique store. I have gone in it and have seen what everyone seemingly leaves at the curb.  We are talking abandoned family albums of dead relatives, broken chairs, curbside garbage that deserves to be curbside garbage.  Yet, here it is.  Yet the hipsters buy it because to them it is quirky.  Have old family albums?  Put them in an antique trunk at 25 cents each for colors and $1 each for really old ones and watch hipsters rummage through that trunk and buy a bunch because... well because hipsters need to be hip. 

Can't explain it... 

Can tell you that you will be amazed at what hipsters will buy. 

Good luck... 

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I honestly wish you the best in this.

You never know with the hipsters.  One of the things I have learned in hipsterville Brooklyn (Williamsburg and Greenpoint) is that there is nothing that hipsters kind of like.  They either swarm the place in droves or they stay away like the plague. There is one such store on Driggs Avenue that is like a hipster antique store. I have gone in it and have seen what everyone seemingly leaves at the curb.  We are talking abandoned family albums of dead relatives, broken chairs, curbside garbage that deserves to be curbside garbage.  Yet, here it is.  Yet the hipsters buy it because to them it is quirky.  Have old family albums?  Put them in an antique trunk at 25 cents each for colors and $1 each for really old ones and watch hipsters rummage through that trunk and buy a bunch because... well because hipsters need to be hip. 

Can't explain it... 

Can tell you that you will be amazed at what hipsters will buy. 

Good luck... 

He could hire shill hipsters to create a "Buzz".

23 hours ago, shadroch said:

One of six sections will be comic/star trek/star wars sort of themed. Not planning on carrying new stuff but will have lots of TPBs and a few boxes of cheaper comics. Possibly supplies and the like. Current thinking is to try and push consignments so I don't have money tied up in merchandise.  Half clubhouse, half showroom comes to mind.

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Commercial-For-Sale/AZ/Bisbee-CCD/Bisbee-outside-of-city/214-Bisbee-Road/73793077.html

29 photos aren't enuff?

Haven't seen many hipsters in town yet. I did see a kid about 12 wearing oversized parachute pants with jet black hair but he was more emo than hipster.

One thing I have ran across is a whole lot of people that almost spontaneously moved here. Same story, over and over. 

Yes. They have a lease thru the end of the year.  Not sure what will happen after that. Three tenants ago, the place housed a day care and has a commercial kitchen the bakery is using. Before the bakery, someone rented it out mostly for workers from the nearby hospital. They only opened for lunch and were mostly takeout.  The kitchen and dining room are only about 15 % of the floor space right now. I'd like to move them to a larger section in the front if they stay. 

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Yes. They have a lease thru the end of the year.  Not sure what will happen after that. Three tenants ago, the place housed a day care and has a commercial kitchen the bakery is using. Before the bakery, someone rented it out mostly for workers from the nearby hospital. They only opened for lunch and were mostly takeout.  The kitchen and dining room are only about 15 % of the floor space right now. I'd like to move them to a larger section in the front if they stay. 

There's a comic/coffee shop over here that is doing pretty well.

Best of luck with it :)

I couldn't live there at all. The heat would kill me. Been 20 degrees here the last few weeks, everyday, and set to continue and get worse! That's just 68 degrees in your money... It's too much for me. 

Just put $1,000 worth of fixtures and display items in my Amazon cart.  I couldn't believe how quick it added up. $790 for utility deposits this week, plus start up expenses on the upgrades, and a $500 COD freight delivery on Wednesday.  Fun, fun, fun.