• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closing on a dream.

44 posts in this topic

One of six sections will be comic/star trek/star wars sort of themed. Not planning on carrying new stuff but will have lots of TPBs and a few boxes of cheaper comics. Possibly supplies and the like. Current thinking is to try and push consignments so I don't have money tied up in merchandise.  Half clubhouse, half showroom comes to mind.

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Commercial-For-Sale/AZ/Bisbee-CCD/Bisbee-outside-of-city/214-Bisbee-Road/73793077.html

Edited by shadroch

I wish more shops 'specialized' in collected editions. One of the 'LCS's near me is primarily a book store. They pre-order most hardcovers and paperbacks from Marvel/DC, and have a decent area with probably... 50(?) long-boxes in volume of single issues. A couple of racks for new releases. Almost none of the single-issue LCSs near me have more than about 10 books total.

If everything works out - congrats! May we all achieve our realistic hopes and dreams in life.

I would be the only comic shop in some sixty miles if I took the plunge but I'm slow rolling it until I see how the market is. I'm hoping the consignment route works well. No upfront costs and no unsold stuff to deal with. 

I am happy for you and your success! It sounds like a success just to embark on such a course. The consignment part could be a great place for boardies to send their stuff to sell as well!

First thing you're gonna need is some kinda logo.  I charge -$5 for that.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Why not? hes supposed to have walk in traffic 

Unless hes only concentrating on mail-out

It's not exactly a megalopolis.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

I am happy for you and your success! It sounds like a success just to embark on such a course. The consignment part could be a great place for boardies to send their stuff to sell as well!

Bisbee is a big " antiquing " town, and there are four vintage shops within two blocks so I'm hoping we develop a " Vintage Shopping" District to attract some of the thousands of tourists who  end up about three miles away in Old Bisbee. I'd like about 2/3rd of the space to be vintage consignment. Mostly stuff that doesn't break or walk out the door.

One thing I'm going to get right is it is going to be comfortable.  Have a couple nice chairs and a big screen for someone to watch while their partner shops. Someone already asked about gaming but I think that's not going to happen unless the request are overwhelming. Same thing with new comics. If a dozen or so ask about subscriptions, I'll figure something out. 

I'd thought that I'd try living pretty spartan the first few months in the former storage area, but life is too short. After careful consideration, I budgeted $15,000 to put the place to my liking and it looks like I'm going to finish under budget. My formula is budget plus 10% overage plus 30% just because. So far I've been able to avoid the " just because" money.