• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is Spidermans greatest villain?

109 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, kav said:

Some say it is Octo-Doctopus but Green Globulin has the longer more cunning story arcs.  Octo-Doctopus would just rampage in, be quickly defeated and off he went.  I'm talking silver/early bronze age here I dont really much care what happened to spider man after that.  His essential nature and villains was set by issue 150 lets say.

After that he had villains like mindworm and big wheel and then McFarlane took over and MJ became a dude and stuff.

Interesting, I would've said Doc "Master Planner" Ock did more scheming than GG in that era. Plus, he beat GG in the "indirectly kill a Stacy" sweepstakes.

I agree with most everyone else that it's down to those two, though. I think anyone newer than issue 50 is pretty much out of the running.

11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Like I'm wondering if its Green Goblin

But for most popular villain it would have to be Venom I would think,though he has probably became more of an anti hero like deadpool than straight up point of no return villain.

Like most of us, and even if we don't care to face the ugly truth and admit it, Spider-man's worst enemy is probably himself. hm

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
11 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Like I'm wondering if its Green Goblin

But for most popular villain it would have to be Venom I would think,though he has probably became more of an anti hero like deadpool than straight up point of no return villain.

Like most of us, and even if we don't care to face the ugly truth and admit it, Spider-man's worst enemy is probably himself. hm

Venom is late 80s Mcfarlane garbage.  He doesnt qualify.

55 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

3 hours ago, Beige said:

Spideys greatest enemy? - Himself.

Oi!

26 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Green Goblin. Also the issues that Larry Lieber drew..

larry leiber drew spiderman???

9 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

Yeah, some of the annuals and fill in issues. He also did the daily strip for years, but I'm not counting that. The annual with the Human Torch and Mysterio is gadawful.

Larry Lieber should never have been allowed to draw comics.

The end.

7 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Yeah, some of the annuals and fill in issues. He also did the daily strip for years, but I'm not counting that. The annual with the Human Torch and Mysterio is gadawful.

That annual (#4) was my first Marvel comic. 

Lieber also did Annual #5. I didn’t think he did a bad job on those two books.

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Joe Quesada... 

I blame it all on Joe Quesada. 

Straczynski + Quesada gave us "One More Day".

A low point for Spidey.

Share the blame.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That's a good point

What would have became of him had the spider not bit him?

The bigger question 

What would have became of marvel?

That's a fun idea -- I don't know how long I'd stick with an ongoing series, but I would read a long miniseries "What If" style where Peter never gets bit and its an Archie-style story of Peter, Flash, Harry, MJ, Gwen et al.