• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning a cover without a restored grade?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

All depends on the severity of the fingerprint impression. Has it affected the inks? Does it appear to be a surface only issue? Could be a simple fix or result in ink loss, which would be hammered by CGC. 

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

D780A56A-67C3-46DB-BEA7-C37161B6491E.jpeg

He asked for a picture . . . not an electron micrograph. :baiting:lol

That looks like some strange planetary surface.

Edited by divad

2 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

What are your thoughts on this?  Is that foxing, or does it look like something else?

Appreciate any info!

. . . It's not something else. :grin:

13 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

You can try Wonder bread to reduce the foxing but I am not a professional. (:

someone posted a video of that was that you? 

I still can't believe someone tried to clean a book with Bread.... I mean bread which crumbles can leave residue damage the book possible more how does bread lift dirt 

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

I still can't believe someone tried to clean a book with Bread... how does bread lift dirt 

Wonder bread is a substitute when one does not have Silly Putty in the home to clean and lift off residue. To remove dust shadows, just rub a Kleenex. It works.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Wonder bread is a substitute when one does not have Silly Putty in the home to clean and lift off residue. To remove dust shadows, just rub a Kleenex. It works.

I've also heard of cases where some people (experts, mind you) have simply looked at a stain on a book the right way and it disappeared. 

Edited by Phill the Governor

4 hours ago, Krishosein said:

someone posted a video of that was that you? 

I still can't believe someone tried to clean a book with Bread.... I mean bread which crumbles can leave residue damage the book possible more how does bread lift dirt 

Wonder bread will lift some surface dirt, but I cannot see how it would lessen foxing. With all of the state of the art erasers out there, who would rub chemicals into their comics using over the counter bread. 

3 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Wonder bread will lift some surface dirt, but I cannot see how it would lessen foxing. With all of the state of the art erasers out there, who would rub chemicals into their comics using over the counter bread. 

Maybe they're hoping the high fructose corn syrup and soybean oil will transfer for a re-glossing effect.