• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning a cover without a restored grade?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Not only that, but the comics make the bread taste so musty. 

maybe it accents the peanut notes in the peanut butter and jelly sandwich lol 

I will say,many years ago I cut the crust off of a slice of white bread and after squishing it into a doughball tried this out.It did work removing some black,grey dirt,stacking transfer from the white on the back advert of the book.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:22 PM, joeypost said:

Wonder bread will lift some surface dirt, but I cannot see how it would lessen foxing. With all of the state of the art erasers out there, who would rub chemicals into their comics using over the counter bread. 

Hey Joey can this type of foxing be pressed out? This is a cgc book that I checked the graders notes for and it indicated foxing on back cover. Sorry its not the best scan to see that but you can still notice it by the spine. Appreciate all the responses you provide here! Very informative! 

Screenshot_20190718-183317_eBay.jpg

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Hey Joey can this type of foxing be pressed out? This is a cgc book that I checked the graders notes for and it indicated foxing on back cover. Sorry its not the best scan to see that but you can still notice it by the spine. Appreciate all the responses you provide here! Very informative! 

Screenshot_20190718-183317_eBay.jpg

This is a combination of light surface dirt and foxing. The impact of the dirt/foxing to the back cover can be lessened. Since the book does have surface dirt, it leads me to believe it was probably not pressed. 

There is little that can be done to the foxing without using techniques that I would consider restorative. 

5 hours ago, joeypost said:

Since the book does have surface dirt, it leads me to believe it was probably not pressed.  

Although amateurs often press a book without first removing or lessening dirt and/soiling and further engrain that into the covers, making it that much harder to clean at that point, after "baking", I would imagine.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, Iconic1s said:

Thanks everybody!  I'm heading to the store for some Wonder Bread... will let you know how it goes.

Make a video of you eating the bread after cleaning the comic. 

1 hour ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

This book just arrived from a seller in the NYC area who swears that they did see any color touch anywhere.... BEST BELLY LAUGH!!

Q6r0tyzJRW2tQ2kURtggSg.jpg

dYKiBKzbRb+uFedrCo6h6A.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ad2.jpeg

that sucks. wow that's pretty obvious as you can even see it follow the pattern of the image

28 minutes ago, joeypost said:

What does the front cover look like?

are you thinking its something other than bleed through from CT like mold or something like that. I thought that too but I cant see mould leaving blank square lines that follow the a pattern you can see this near the bottom on the last pic. if your thinking this way.

42 minutes ago, joeypost said:

What does the front cover look like?

For that to be bleed-thru from color touch, almost every part of the cover would have to have been color touched and bled, which you don't often see so IMO, It does resemble what you may be thinking. Quite possibly ink transference from the splash page. Under certain conditions, ink from the splash page can transfer to the inside covers. I'd like to see the front cover too, as well as the splash page..

Edited by James J Johnson

6 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

For that to be bleed-thru from color touch, almost every part of the cover would have to have been color touched and bled, which you don't often see so IMO, It does resemble what you may be thinking. Quite possibly ink transference from the splash page. Under certain conditions, ink from the splash page can transfer to the inside covers. I'd like to see the front cover too, as well as the splash page..

And that's where I'm at.  The last photo shows an image that might be  transfer from the first interior page of the comic or from the outside cover

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

And that's where I'm at.  The last photo shows an image that might be  transfer from the first interior page of the comic or from the outside cover

It really didn't look like that's where it was from.... plus there were impressions on the interior cover which made it look like a pen...

52 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

If transference, to this extreme extent, it wouldn't be transferring from the front cover to the inside front cover. It would be transferring from the splash page to the inside front cover, like an ink pad impression.

This can be caused many ways, but all related to heat, moisture, a combination of both, and/or pressure. A book can have that potential dependent upon how heavily the ink was put on the paper. More ink = more chance of it transferring. This adhesion between the inside front cover and splash page is what causes that distinctive and very characteristic sound, a swoosh, when a cover is opened and doing that creates that "like new" sound.

This happens in the same way that front covers can transfer ink to back covers of books stacked immediately above where the ink is still "wet", or heated, or just a lot of pressure.

A full pic of the splash page and as much of the inside front cover as possible would provide the answer.

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Mxwll Smrt said:

FC (I didn't take a picture of the 1st inside page/splash).

fullsizeoutput_ad5.jpeg

I see no sign of color touch at the spine. Nothing that remotely appears to be inked. Exceptions to every rule aside, the chances that someone layered color touch on the cover to that extent without touching the fissures and fractures at the spine are extremely slim. The spine is typically where most color touch on comics is done. The spine is typically the starting point for it.

Interesting comments. As I recall, there were parts of the interior where it looked as if there could be some kind of transference (as explained) and there were areas that looked as if there were marks/pressure from some type of pointed instrument and application. All in all I lost interest in keeping the book.

very interesting learned of something new to watch at. I guess if we got a pic of the 1st page would u see if the ink from the first page transferred to the inside FC?

Question would there be a detectable difference in texture on the cover then as the dried ink should leave a texture is my thought where the bleed through would be smoother to the page?