• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your stance on CGC's Marvel labels?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

(My apologies if this has already been discussed to death, but a search didn't turn up anything.)

I'll soon be submitting some SA and key Daredevil books to CGC, but I'm torn between the standard blue label and the new Daredevil label. I may opt for the Daredevil label because I love how it looks and the books are for my personal collection, but I'm curious as to where you stand on CGC's Marvel labels. Would you buy a high grade SA issue of the Avengers if it was slabbed with the Avengers label, or would you opt for a similarly-graded Blue Label? Have you, or would you, re-slab a book just for the new labels? Haven't seen any for sale on eBay (at least for the titles I watch), so trying to gauge their popularity among the more serious collectors. 

I think doesn't really matter to most some sellers I know were trying to toss in those special labels in their sales pitch in their ebay write up to justify a bit more on the price. if you like it go for it at worse its only a few bucks. I'll probably submit for those new labels. 

We discussed this among a few friends the other day. Was a bit different than your situation as it was an ff book with an avengers label. Given all things equal (if you had two identical books and price) the majority of us would rather the standard label than the marvel label. 

I don't like them but only because the artwork is too modern looking. They would be much much more desirable if the artwork didn't look like a modern artist drew it. Take the avengers label for example...you think that artwork fits in with any avengers issue drawn by Heck or Kirby? Id say they almost look like different characters entirely. Same goes for the spider-man.

That being said I still like the Daredevil & iron man labels. I think they're almost universal in that they can mesh with older & modern comic artwork. Maybe the venom one can work but I'm just not digging how they drew the eyes. I'd love the labels on anything modern though I wouldn't pay extra. So the idea is intriguing but they need to expand them to include some vintage artwork 

Edited by MGsimba77

To each his own I guess.

I don't think I'd pay to get one, and they kind of distract from the art of the cover. Having extra character heads looking out at you just doesn't seem right. Why do I want to see added artwork to a frame for cover-art?

I guess there's a market for it, but it's a matter of taste... Me? No thanks, but do enjoy!

6 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

I'll soon be submitting some SA and key Daredevil books to CGC, but I'm torn between the standard blue label and the new Daredevil label. I may opt for the Daredevil label because I love how it looks and the books are for my personal collection

But if you love the way it looks and it’s for your PC isn’t that all that matters? Why are you torn? I personally don’t like the look of them, but if you do go for it! To me it’s a matter of I don’t really want anything on my label besides text - a image of any sort would potentially draw your eyes away from the cover art of the book - that’s the real beauty I paid to have slabbed and displayed in my comic cave, not your custom label art.

Edited by wiparker824

Might not be Marvel but I am getting the Rick label on a 192 getting signed by Kirkman, but that is because he dies. :ohnoez:

In general I not a fan of the original Marvel labels, if they had a cool looking black suit spidey maybe but meh.

I was not a fan of any of these new line until I saw the Virgin Venom with the Infinity Gauntlet.  The new Venom label, I though, looked really sharp on it.  But that is the only time I have thought that yet.

Beware of extra return shipping charges.

A few months ago I was submitting 25 comics to CGC, all in the same tier, and selected 1 of the comics to have the new Marvel label. When I went to checkout, my submission got separated into two submissions (24 comics with normal labels, and 1 comic with the Marvel label) along with two return shipping charges.