• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your stance on CGC's Marvel labels?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

CGC has moved from certifying collectibles to manufacturing collectibles. I'm not a fan of manufactured collectibles like beanie babies or holofoil cover variants, and CGC putting a real collectible inside a manufactured collectible makes me sad. :frown:

Edited by drbanner

On 7/12/2019 at 5:33 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I don't like them but only because the artwork is too modern looking. They would be much much more desirable if the artwork didn't look like a modern artist drew it. Take the avengers label for example...you think that artwork fits in with any avengers issue drawn by Heck or Kirby? Id say they almost look like different characters entirely. Same goes for the spider-man.

That being said I still like the Daredevil & iron man labels. I think they're almost universal in that they can mesh with older & modern comic artwork. Maybe the venom one can work but I'm just not digging how they drew the eyes. I'd love the labels on anything modern though I wouldn't pay extra. So the idea is intriguing but they need to expand them to include some vintage artwork 

I love the idea of having Silver and Bronze options, especially for Spider-Man and the Avengers. 

The Thor label is another one that looks way too contemporary to pair well with SA Thor comics. 

On 7/12/2019 at 7:15 PM, wiparker824 said:

But if you love the way it looks and it’s for your PC isn’t that all that matters? Why are you torn? I personally don’t like the look of them, but if you do go for it! To me it’s a matter of I don’t really want anything on my label besides text - a image of any sort would potentially draw your eyes away from the cover art of the book - that’s the real beauty I paid to have slabbed and displayed in my comic cave, not your custom label art.

Torn because of the added expense (could use that $$$ to fill gaps in my run), but also because my OCD is bad enough that I'd want all of my slabbed Daredevils to have matching labels and I know for certain I'll be buying pre-slabbed books with the normal blue label in the future.

That's a great point about the additional art being a distraction from the cover image. 

On 7/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, Crops068 said:

Might not be Marvel but I am getting the Rick label on a 192 getting signed by Kirkman, but that is because he dies. :ohnoez:

In general I not a fan of the original Marvel labels, if they had a cool looking black suit spidey maybe but meh.

I was not a fan of any of these new line until I saw the Virgin Venom with the Infinity Gauntlet.  The new Venom label, I though, looked really sharp on it.  But that is the only time I have thought that yet.

I didn't even realize that there were non-Marvel labels. While I'm liking the Marvel labels less and less, I love these Walking Dead labels. If I collected WD, I'd be all-in on the zombie labels. 

2 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

Torn because of the added expense (could use that $$$ to fill gaps in my run),

I guess I missed this in their news release, how much more does CGC charge for these special Marvel labels as compared to their regular labels?  ???

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess I missed this in their news release, how much more does CGC charge for these special Marvel labels as compared to their regular labels?  ???

$5 BUT lol

Evidently, if you do a sub and don't get all the books with the labels, then the special label ones are shipped seperately..... causing an extra charge I believe...

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

$5 BUT lol

Evidently, if you do a sub and don't get all the books with the labels, then the special label ones are shipped seperately..... causing an extra charge I believe...

Would this be a $5 discount so that they can place your collectible comic book into one of those atrocious looking gimmicked manufactured collectible slabs of theirs?  lol

I might consider doing it if it was free of charge for the grading then, but definitely not for a truly vintage collectible comic book.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As Adamantium mentioned, $5, which would add another $100 for the Daredevils I’m planning on slabbing. So, nope. 

Thank you all for the feedback in the this thread. Opting out of the specialty labels (at the moment, anyway). 

10 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

$5 BUT lol

I submitted books via the online form a few months ago and thought I'd try one on the new labels for fun. It was then separated out onto a new invoice which would be shipped on its own. Forget that!

They have a modern look to them and they look sharp, but they wouldn't suit a silver or bronze age book IMO.

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

They have a modern look to them and they look sharp, but they wouldn't suit a silver or bronze age book IMO.

Don't worry as I am sure if you wait long enough, they'll have different label designs for the various comic book ages eventually.  :taptaptap:

For an additional fee of course, plus separate invocies and shipping charges for each of the comic book ages.  :devil:  :censored:

It's a good thing for me that I don't send any books in for slabbing.  :banana:

Edited by lou_fine