• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Marvel Labels - no purple for restored books?
2 2

32 posts in this topic

I was browsing and I remembered someone asking if this was a mistake but has anyone else come across this where they have a PLOD book but requested the new Marvel labels but assuming there is no purple for the New labels they get the New Blue label with a Notation of the restoration obviously? 

Also if they have one with the new label is the label on top purple or blue. as it be nice to look at the top of my box and see all blue from a OCD stand point.

Image result for cgc new labels

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

as it be nice to look at the top of my box and see all blue from a OCD stand point.

Aren't you a bit behind the times here?  hm

I believe what all collectors want to see now is all black when they look across the tops of their slabs as that's the newest rage.  :whee:

On 7/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Aren't you a bit behind the times here?  hm

I believe what all collectors want to see now is all black when they look across the tops of their slabs as that's the newest rage.  :whee:

lol Don't think I could afford the extra premium associated with a pedigree.... 

There is an ongoing thread in the grading forum with examples of restoration being noted as a comment on a "Universal" blue label with the new Marvel character art.

That thread keeps getting derailed so maybe reposting it here might make more people aware of the issue...I didn't pay much attention to the new labels so maybe I was the only one who missed it. :bump: 

capture.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2a11f395f1a8c744bad81b3404a0c562.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

* link to CGC's label guidelines, no mention of Marvel labels https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

Edited by bababooey
* part

Now, that looks totally messed up with Restored books sitting in slabs with blue Universal labels.  doh!

Last one might be alright though since trimming is considered to be a defect to be taken account in the grading and noted as such on the lable, as opposed to it being considered to be restoration as far as I can remember.  (shrug)

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that looks totally messed up with Restored books sitting in slabs with blue Universal labels.  doh!

Last one might be alright though since trimming is considered to be a defect to be taken account in the grading and noted as such on the lable, as opposed to it being considered to be restoration as far as I can remember.  (shrug)

Trimming was the worst form of restoration possible.  I will take books with CT over trimmed books every time.  When I was a kid I remember my LCS owner trimming books (owner is no longer around) to improve corners and sides to make them sharper and appear mint.   I didn't know any better at the time. 

The market also does not look favorably on trimmed books.  I bought a raw GA Cap that had CT on it from Heritage.  When it comes to Heritage listings I do not make a play until the end of the listing to see where it is going.  Anyway, I made a play and won the book only for it to come back 'trimmed'.   Heritage took the book back and relisted it themselves with the book only getting half of what I paid when everyone thought the book just had some CT on it. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Blue labels is one thing.  But the CGC Universal Grade across the top is :facepalm:

Totally agree!  I checked the CGC Cert Verification on one of the books above and attached it here, obviously Restored and not Universal.  That's not even an oversight, it's just lazy on CGC's part to have it say 'Universal' across the top when it is Restored!  If this is the case just to sell labels then just keep them all one color and change the text across the top?

I personally think those labels are the lowest of the low in gimmicks anyways. 2c

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 1.45.19 PM.png

32 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

I personally think those labels are the lowest of the low in gimmicks anyways. 2c

Forgot to add... unless they did DC Superman Doomsday Death Funeral Return Labels, then they would be cool and totally worth the extra $5.00 :headbang:

Edited by Iconic1s
typo

On 7/12/2019 at 4:15 PM, Krismusic said:

I was browsing and I remembered someone asking if this was a mistake but has anyone else come across this where they have a PLOD book but requested the new Marvel labels but assuming there is no purple for the New labels they get the New Blue label with a Notation of the restoration obviously? 

Also if they have one with the new label is the label on top purple or blue. as it be nice to look at the top of my box and see all blue from a OCD stand point.

Image result for cgc new labels

My AF 15 PLOD needs to go back and get a new BLUE spiderman label with notes (:

Nothing good can come of this for buyers.  Lots of people that have stuck to buying blue labels for 10+ years are going to be really confused when they get home from a show and notice the restoration note.  The notes are not at all obvious considering the well established history of the different colored labels.  Are they gonna get rid of gold labels for signatures too?  Why not!   Glad I saw this post.

Edited by 90sChild

On 11/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, bababooey said:

There is an ongoing thread in the grading forum with examples of restoration being noted as a comment on a "Universal" blue label with the new Marvel character art.

That thread keeps getting derailed so maybe reposting it here might make more people aware of the issue...I didn't pay much attention to the new labels so maybe I was the only one who missed it. :bump: 

capture.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2a11f395f1a8c744bad81b3404a0c562.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

* link to CGC's label guidelines, no mention of Marvel labels https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

I hate these labels! I want the info about the comic on the front not the back.

Until today, I was largely indifferent about these gimmicky labels.  They aren't something I'd ever get for myself, but I can see how some might find them appealing...more power to them. 

Now that I see this nonsense with designer labels getting Universal color and designation despite having restoration, I'm now 100% against these labels.  This only opens up the door for deception all in the name of making a few extra bucks.  It's not a good look for CGC.

The more I think about it, perhaps they were just too lazy to print the new artwork on both blue and purple cardstock, or their printer company didn't get the memo lol but I don't think it is too late for CGC to save face on this and start using purple labels with the new artwork. 

According to the news releases from Feb, April & July these labels are only supposed to be used only for Universal and Signature series books so these examples may only be errors.

So the question for CGC is:    

Are the examples in this thread showing us a workaround to accommodate keeping restored books under the custom label program OR are we looking at errors that got through QC and all restored/qualified books should be getting rejected from the custom label program?

@Brittany M. @dena

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

According to the news releases from Feb, April & July these labels are only supposed to be used only for Universal and Signature series books so these examples may only be errors.

So the question for CGC is:    

Are the examples in this thread showing us a workaround to accommodate keeping restored books under the custom label program OR are we looking at errors that got through QC and all restored/qualified books should be getting rejected from the custom label program?

@Brittany M. @dena

The Marvel labels are only for Universal and Signature Series books. They are not for Restoration or Qualified books. Those books should have Purple Restoration labels.

Please send them back in and I will have all the labels fixed immediately.

Email: bmcmanus@cgccomics.com