Does this WTB really pan out or is it a joke?
4 4

41 posts in this topic

23,501 posts

I’ve sold and bought from this thread so it can work 

47 posts
Posted (edited)

Worked for me a couple times. Sometimes you get crickets.

Edited by eastcoaster

4,729 posts

Yes

8,505 posts

It works, but in my experience, opposite OP's query -- someone wants ASM 300; a bunch of offers show up, yet still crickets. Someone says they want some obscure oddball golden age book; those folks buy.

Haven't tried to shop this way yet, but since we're here, I'm open to PM's from anyone with a raw, General VG range Yellow Claw #4.

415 posts

Yes I have sold in response to a WTB here...great experience all around.  That said, my own WTB have come up dry (pretty narrow though)...

1,564 posts

I’m 2 for 3 in purchasing when posting in the WTB. The one I heard crickets about I probably didn’t flash enough $$. I’m still a bit bitter about that one 2 years later and still haven’t found one. 

I think it obviously just depends what you’re looking for and also what you’re offering in relation to the rarity of the item. 

1,109 posts
18 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

It’s worked for me in the past.  I’ve found the best results work if:

-you state the grade range you are looking for

-you state the price you’re willing to pay (doesn’t have to be an exact amount; something like “paying GPA 90-day avg+/-“ is good). 

-you aren’t trying to buy the “hot book of the week” or some key at (significantly) less than FMV.

This forum shouldn’t be used as an exercise in “tire kicking”.  If you post a WTB, you should be prepared to buy the book.  Not saying you have to buy it, but if you’re not serious, why post?  .

Agree with this.. it has worked for me both buying and selling.. OP what are you looking for?

2,637 posts

Yes. Have sold several people books based on a WTB thread. Mainly single issues of GA/PCH/PHM genres, not any keys though.

5,104 posts
12 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Just saying other than keys maybe not so much...

I find it works better for non keys as most want the moon and the stars for key books.

9,399 posts
2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Haven't tried to shop this way yet, but since we're here, I'm open to PM's from anyone with a raw, General VG range Yellow Claw #4.

I have this one for $275 shipped US

also have CGC 5.0 white pages:whatthe: $425 shipped US

D96450A5-C87F-4023-97CD-552D4C4BF91A.jpeg

C18308FC-5708-4EF9-B622-F5D0D2B0D6AA.jpeg

33,311 posts
10 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I find it works better for non keys as most want the moon and the stars for key books.

But, shouldn’t key or hot books be sold for FMV?   Or close to it?  

Nobody should expect some super deal on a book (using the earlier example) like ASM300.  Or FF48 or similar.  

Some random, common book?   Sure.

A hot key?  Why wouldn’t the price be in line with current market?  

818 posts
42 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

OP what are you looking for?

Mostly non key stuff and not so much popular stuff so I guess I can't be too surprised.  I had posted some WTB'S for Conan's 9.0 and Silver Surfers 8.0 WP with no luck, I was a little surprised that I didn't get any bits from those posts though.

5,104 posts
29 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

But, shouldn’t key or hot books be sold for FMV?   Or close to it?  

Nobody should expect some super deal on a book (using the earlier example) like ASM300.  Or FF48 or similar.  

Some random, common book?   Sure.

A hot key?  Why wouldn’t the price be in line with current market?  

I agree with you that they should sell for FMV but I get PMs with prices 20%+ higher than GPA.

I when I sell on the boards I factor in eBay and HA/CL commissions that I will save into my asking price as I want to be fair to both sides.

lol I may be naive.

1,109 posts
18 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Mostly non key stuff and not so much popular stuff so I guess I can't be too surprised.  I had posted some WTB'S for Conan's 9.0 and Silver Surfers 8.0 WP with no luck, I was a little surprised that I didn't get any bits from those posts though.

I saw your post after I said this lol... with non keys I do better opening up to raw..

9,399 posts

to OP : yes absolutely :whistle:

Made lots of sales and purchases in the WTB