Does this WTB really pan out or is it a joke?
4 4

41 posts in this topic

1,125 posts

I look at the WTB section for laughs.  I'm running about 1 for 10.  Usually when I have a book in the grade and price desired, I'll dig out the book and make scans (takes some real effort to do that with all of those stacked comic boxes...), and then the requestor doesn't like the copy I have.  I've pretty much given up here.  No point wasting my time.

652 posts

Yeah, I agree with @Yorick. I have posted many WTB with zero response, and replied to a person with a very specific book. Had exactly the grade, presentation and page quality they were asking for and they came up with some excuse why they didnt want it. I feel that people run a lot of Want to buy ads, but really arent ready financially. This hurts the rest of the community that are actually wanting a book. I dont feel people take the ads seriously, because theyve had their time wasted too much.

1,693 posts

I've had success buying via WTB, but I've also experienced crickets...

As for selling, nope. Offered but as others have reported no deals...sometimes I don't even get a response.

13,056 posts
On 7/13/2019 at 12:18 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Just saying other than keys maybe not so much...

I've gotten a bunch of books. I post prices and grades and buy when people deliver the goods, so maybe that helps. 

46 posts
On 7/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, Jordysnordy said:

I agree with you that they should sell for FMV but I get PMs with prices 20%+ higher than GPA.

I when I sell on the boards I factor in eBay and HA/CL commissions that I will save into my asking price as I want to be fair to both sides.

lol I may be naive.

I don't think you're being naive, or you can put me in that category as well.  I just recently closed my 1st deal thru CGC boards; sold just-slabbed FF 48 in 6.5 and MSH 13 in 9.0 to Gruson.  I came up with what I felt to be a fair price by using the average of all truly comparable Ebay sales over the last 90 days (and there were many, it certainly helps to have many data points...) provided the raw data and logic to the buyer, dropped it by the 10% EBay fee, and we had a deal no muss no fuss.  if you don't have to pay EBay, it truly is a net zero to the seller so it's just proper and decent to pass that savings thru, IMHO...

13,056 posts
On 7/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I have had one success story. @GACollectibles remembered one of my WTB posts and contacted out of the blue when he had one!

He's sold me books off my WTB list on three occasions. 

18,877 posts

it works better when people don't post non-WTB threads in the WTB subforum.

18,877 posts
Just now, Xenosmilus said:
7 minutes ago, revat said:

it works better when people don't post non-WTB threads in the WTB subforum.

To my defense it was late Friday and I had been drinking :roflmao:.

to be fair, many of the WTB threads are a terrible or crazy, but I think they're generally better now than before.  I've helped people get some books, and I've gotten a few books from the WTB.  If people are specific, I think it works pretty well.

281 posts
Posted (edited)

Worked for me, one trade just a few days ago...still trying to make another and willing to take a 10-20% loss on my end.

Edited by JTD

76 posts

Sold quite a few slabs to customers here some of the requests are unreasonable imo and i choose or try to choose my customers well from their posting... so the system does work but many humans do not know of the sites existence or are flaky or etc.If you have a book 9 out of 10 theres someone that has it or more of it just getting someone to respond or has what you desire is the main factor but I have had mostly excellent experiences here so far selling to customers mother teresa vs predator i dont recollect on though...

40,738 posts
5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

still looking for MOTHER TERESA VS PREDATOR #1 HOLOFOIL edition in any grade. no one ever responds to my post about it. 

I heard the Pope had that issue recalled...., hm

30,518 posts

I have had 100% success rate buying.  Over 50% success selling.

46 posts
On 7/17/2019 at 2:51 PM, solitude said:

some of the requests are unreasonable imo...

love your post, but I gotta ask - like what?  curious what unreasonable means to you...  and i'm still LMFAO over the concept of Mother Teresa vs Predator.  I didn't even know such a thing existed, but now think i'm in the market for one...

607 posts
Posted (edited)

Prove me wrong fellow boardies!! Help me find ONE request on my WTB thread! Just one! I’ll give each a new bump.

Edited by Xenosmilus