• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An eBayer started the return process before he even received the book...
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Said in the comments: "I got a better deal elsewhere" or words to that effect. (it was a Thor #126 CGC 5.5)

He then left me positive feedback.

I offer free returns to people, so I know this can happen at any time.

So why does this particular instance irritate the cr@p out of me?

Edited by oldrover

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

hopefully he started the return process before you even shipped....

does he at least have to pay shipping costs?

He started the return process the day before he received it in the mail.

And I pay shipping for returns. I assumed returns would only occur because I made grading errors. Silly me. LOL

2 hours ago, oldrover said:

Said in the comments: "I got a better deal elsewhere" or words to that effect. (it was a Thor #126 CGC 5.5)

He then left me positive feedback.

I offer free returns to people, so I know this can happen at any time.

So why does this particular instance irritate the cr@p out of me?

Unfortunately nothing you can do to avoid this really.  Extremely annoying as a seller, but there's really no way to avoid this.  You could add an exemption for buyer's remorse, not returning it once shipped, etc. but the buyer could just bite their tongue & wait for it to arrive and then say "oh I didn't like the condition" (rather than state the real reason), and you'd have to take the return.  I had one recently where the guy waited a month to pay, paid & then messaged me after I shipped saying that he might be getting fired soon and needs to return the book (it hadn't even arrived yet).  So instead of saying this prior to paying/making me ship, or at least opening the package, he made me pay for return shipping and take the return, without ever even opening the package.  Beyond frustrating.  

Maybe I'm a jerk, but why is anyone automatically paying the return shipping on eBay? That just encourages a total lack of accountability for buyers. If it was your mistake you could elect to cover it, but by having a setting of "seller pays" it costs them nothing to jerk you around and costs you plenty.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Because this is what eBay considers buyer's remorse.   Call them and fight this. 

Remind eBay that this is what they consider buyer's remorse and that this is not a reason for a return. 

At the very least he should not get his shipping fee back. 

Who cares if he wants to do business with you again if you fight it... do you really want to do business again with HIM? 

@kav This is what I meant about why I fight things like this.  Because if this culture is allowed to grow and be fostered it will continue to happen. 

I'm with Buzz on this one.  Tell ebay no no no then block him.

Before the Internet may be beyond us to fix problems immediately, an infamous Unabomber wrote in his manifesto and believed technology to be evil and how society should disband the technological system and live in agrarian tribes. Despite ignoring Unabomber's frequent warnings, maybe we should stay away from eBay and the Internet.

Matt Nelson always told me about the dilemma in eBay. You bought this books from eBay?  That was ten years ago before his company merged with CGC. I looked back and realized that I went too far and I have bought the books from eBay less and lesser. Too much abuses going on eBay that is kind of beyond us before we fix problems. I had some major problems (nearly all eBay buyers accused me - some real crazy people) before and have to cut it down on my time being spent on eBay.

You know Global Shipping on eBay. I sold one copy before I realized the global shipping was turned on itself automatically. The buyer didn't pay or response my emails so I had to cancel the transaction then turned the global shipping off.  eBay sometimes frustrated me in some ways. My sales went down on all non-key raw copies and their fees revamp my money. I already closed all fixed priced items. I don't know when I will walk away from eBay but the sooner.

47 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Maybe I'm a jerk, but why is anyone automatically paying the return shipping on eBay? That just encourages a total lack of accountability for buyers. If it was your mistake you could elect to cover it, but by having a setting of "seller pays" it costs them nothing to jerk you around and costs you plenty.

I believe that if you file with PayPal they make the seller pay for a label with shipping included now. Not taking returns is now irrelevant. Buyer pays return shipping is irrevelant as well. I have had a few sloppy returns as a buyer and I always notify the seller that I am filing with Paypal no matter what their "policy" is. I always get a return label at the seller's expense. I have had the same thing happen to me as a seller too. My luck as a buyer and a seller has been going down steadily for the past few years. I rarely buy or sell there any more.

Honor and professionalism is out the window in our faceless internet society.

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

I forget if it's a requirement to have free return shipping or not, in order to get the top rated seller discount on fees -- but returns are so few & far between, that my thinking is I'd rather pay the $5 return shipping than have the buyer skimp on packing & send it back in an envelope with no protection to try and save themselves a few bucks on return shipping/damage my book in the process.

1 hour ago, Action252Kid said:

I forget if it's a requirement to have free return shipping or not, in order to get the top rated seller discount on fees -- but returns are so few & far between, that my thinking is I'd rather pay the $5 return shipping than have the buyer skimp on packing & send it back in an envelope with no protection to try and save themselves a few bucks on return shipping/damage my book in the process.

YMMV, but speaking for myself:

A) I would qualify for the fee discount if I wanted to jump through eBay’s hoops. That small of a discount isn’t worth the hassle it would bring as a small seller. 

B) Paying return shipping does not insure that the buyer either knows how to pack correctly or will actually do so. 

17 minutes ago, mysterio said:

YMMV, but speaking for myself:

A) I would qualify for the fee discount if I wanted to jump through eBay’s hoops. That small of a discount isn’t worth the hassle it would bring as a small seller. 

B) Paying return shipping does not insure that the buyer either knows how to pack correctly or will actually do so. 

Very true, I don't disagree.  The hoops used to be more worth jumping through back when they'd give 20% off the fees -- now it's just 10%, so it's less attractive for sure.  

Well, looks like the guy closed the return, so he's keeping it.

He would have been a FOOL to return it anyway... on the auction form, I mislabeled the book Bronze Age/Other Superheroes, so the views and bidding were very low... so low that I called eBay to find out what was up. Unfortunately for me it was within 12 hours of the end, so there was nothing I could do. Whatever... not a monster book anyway.

End result: he got it for around $100... delivered. Even if he did find another book, he could turn around and sell this one in a heartbeat and make money. Maybe he realized that.

Or maybe he tried to return the wrong item. LOL

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I believe that if you file with PayPal they make the seller pay for a label with shipping included now. Not taking returns is now irrelevant. Buyer pays return shipping is irrevelant as well. I have had a few sloppy returns as a buyer and I always notify the seller that I am filing with Paypal no matter what their "policy" is. I always get a return label at the seller's expense. I have had the same thing happen to me as a seller too. My luck as a buyer and a seller has been going down steadily for the past few years. I rarely buy or sell there any more.

Honor and professionalism is out the window in our faceless internet society.

I just had Feebay reverse itself and charge the buyer with return-shipping. Originally the buyer initiated the return and hit the "just didn't like it" selection, then added the comment that he said the CGC case had scratches (it didn't, it was just an older case, buyer probably was used to newer crystal-clear cases). So Feebay initially sided with the buyer and told me to buy a shipping label and send it to the buyer. After a phonecall to Feebay asking how to do this and why I had to pay when buyer checked "just didn't like it", Feebay reversed itself and apparently told the buyer he needed to pay for return shipping (as it says in my sales posting). Seller takes all the risk sending the item through the mail, and then sending it back too when the buyer just says "nah"!?

Long story short, seller shouldn't have to pay for buyers kicking the tires and deciding they just don't like it.

Fight the power! :grin: