• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An eBayer started the return process before he even received the book...
2 2

48 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, kav said:

I'm with Buzz on this one.  Tell ebay no no no then block him.

Sadly, "found it elsewhere cheaper" and "changed my mind" are two of the valid reasons that can be chosen by a buyer for return, from the time the buyer makes payment, until 179 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds after. And the seller is on the hook for the postage both ways. If you do business on ebay, consider it the same as leakage, maybe from theft or other unexpected costs of doing business that you incur.

Edited by James J Johnson

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Because this is what eBay considers buyer's remorse.   Call them and fight this. 

Remind eBay that this is what they consider buyer's remorse and that this is not a reason for a return. 

At the very least he should not get his shipping fee back. 

Who cares if he wants to do business with you again if you fight it... do you really want to do business again with HIM?

Agreed! He made a mistake by showing his cards telling the OP about the better deal. OP should get ahold of customer service and fight this dingaling buyer. This is downright unamerican!

...oops just read the update. Point still stands though. If for nothing else the guy was a nuisance time waster

Edited by MGsimba77

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Sadly, "found it elsewhere cheaper" and "changed my mind" are two of the valid reasons that can be chosen by a buyer for return, from the time the buyer makes payment, until 179 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds after. And the seller is on the hook for the postage both ways. If you do business on ebay, consider it the same as leakage, maybe from theft or other unexpected costs of doing business that you incur.

@Buzzetta says no.  

39 minutes ago, kav said:

@Buzzetta says no.  

That's two of the reasons, right on the filing form! 1) "Changed my mind" and 2) "found it cheaper elsewhere", among the usual "not as described" reasons. A buyer can open a case by selecting either of those two reasons from the available selections in the drop down box. Whether a seller stands a chance of bucking the return is a matter of case by case basis, I imagine. But those two reasons serve as valid options to open a return as far as the actual filing of the case.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

That's two of the reasons, right on the filing form! 1) "Changed my mind" and 2) "found it cheaper elsewhere", among the usual "not as described" reasons. A buyer can open a case by selecting either of those two reasons from the available selections in the drop down box. Whether a seller stands a chance of bucking the return is a matter of case by case basis, I imagine. But those two reasons serve as valid options to open a return as far as the actual filing of the case.

I always thought those options were given to snare unauthorized returns.

35ln6w.jpg

22 minutes ago, kav said:

I always thought those options were given to snare unauthorized returns.

Aside from the understandable annoyance of having inventory being sent on a two-way trip for no tangible reason at all, maybe even just a whim, is the expense of paying for it!  Domestically, the cost is in the $15.00 area to send a CGC slab by flat rate prioritymail, so round trip, that's $30 incurred by the seller. Internationally, it's more. A lot more. It's got to be at least twice that to send internationally and you have to pay for real tracking, expressmail or registered being the only services that provide a means to follow tracking.

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

That's why I have called and pointed out something like that was buyer's remorse. 

I posted the emails awhile ago when someone did that with a video game and wanted to return it because of the same reason.  They wrote, "They just didn't like it."   I called and eBay closed it after I explained that part of the buyer terms of listings is that buyers may not back out of sales because of buyer's remorse. 

Perhaps it helps that I have 'no returns' in my listings. 

1 hour ago, Dan82 said:

Cheers Kav... Wouldn't want to insult any snowflakes now would we :)

well we might want to but we cant!!!!

On 7/13/2019 at 7:45 AM, oldrover said:

...So why does this particular instance irritate the cr@p out of me?

Because the buyer is a :censored:in' person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed for not price shopping before buying.

I'd be pissed, too. Do your diligence before affecting people's business.

I just don't understand buyers these days. The sense of entitlement. The complete lack of understanding of how the system SHOULD work. I've been working eBay too long to stop now, but man, it sure isn't as much fun as it used to be.

An interesting situation happened to a friend of mine selling a TomTom GPS Unit about 5 years ago, complete in original box and all original packaging.  He normally doesn't like to sell outside of America but he did make an exception and sold to a buyer in Belgium.  When the buyer received the item, he contacted my friend through eBay stating it didn't work.  The GPS was in working condition before sending it, so my friend said he would refund the money after the item was returned.

About a week later, my friend received an empty, standard letter sized envelope, with a tracking label on it.  The buyer used this tracking number to prove to eBay that the item had been returned, received, and no refund given.  eBay (and PayPal) forced the refund even with the pictures my friend provided of the envelope and tracking label (not sure if he could have gone further to find the shipping weight of the item based on postal service records).

In short, he ate the $60 (plus the shipping both ways) and rarely sells on eBay anymore.  It's tough when scams like this take place, but the buyer is always given priority for some reason.