• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 236: A Happy Celebration and Sad Reminder

3 posts in this topic

As a kid, I remember how awesome it was to see Fantastic Four 236 on the newstand with all those Marvel characters and Stan Lee on the cover. I didn't know anything about Stan and Jack having any falling out during my youth-collecting years and always loved the work they did- a love that grew as I got older and discovered more of their Silver Age work, especially the stuff they did with the Fantastic Four. John Byrne was the artist who defined the Fantastic Four for readers and collectors from my era. The Bronze Age was coming to an end as Byrne kicked off his classic FF run. Byrne's cover for the anniversary issue that marked 20 years of the Fantastic Four reminded me of Kirby's awesome cover to Fantastic Four Annual 3. Kirby and Lee were in a way, giving readers during the early-60s an all-inclusive and celebratory look at the infant Marvel Universe at the time, where everyone gathered for the wedding of the new Marvel Age of Comics. Byrne's cover to FF 236 reminded us of the incredible universe Kirby and Lee (or Lee and Kirby) created during the Silver Age and Bryne's artwork is a tribute to this creation. Interestingly, as time went on and I again read Byrne's FF books, I started to wonder why Byrne put Stan on the cover while leaving Jack off? The prevailing view is that Shooter had it removed but what motivated this and whether Bryne had any reaction is unclear. Obviously, Kirby was no longer with Marvel Comics at the time FF 236 was published and there was a history of ups and downs between Jack and Marvel. The question as to whether Jack had a cease and desist letter sent or verbally communicated to Marvel not to use his name in any way without compensation at some time prior to 1981 is also unclear. Nervertheless, I was happy to see Byrne note in caption An All-New FF Blockbuster by Stan (the man) Lee and Jack (King) Kirby! How great it would have been to have Jack perfectly placed right next to Stan? Twenty years of the FF in 1981 was a special moment for young Marvel collectors like myself during a time when Byrne brought us another great run of fantastic artwork and awesome storytelling in a world where the X-Men rose to a level of success never experienced by its preceding Silver Age run. Still, two decades after the greatest creative team in the history of comic books started their incomparable period of success, Byrne recaptured the moment with an awesome celebration that sadly, also reminded us of what happened between the two guys who were responsible for all this.

John

Byrne's Fantastic Four run is a 5 year, 60 issue love letter written to the industry, the characters, the creators, and the fans.

It is the pinnacle of Byrne's creative output...yes, including X-Men, including Superman, including Alpha Flight, including Next Men...and clearly shows his love and affection for these characters.

One of the great pages in comics is the last page of #267.

Byrne saved the FF from the obscurity of books like the Hulk, Thor, and even Amazing Spiderman, all of which meandered rather aimlessly through the late 70s and early 80s, before they, too, were rejuvenated by creators like David, Simonson, and Stern/Michelinie. 

FF #232-#292 is the best that Byrne ever did, and it shows. It lives up to the high standard set by Stan and Jack in the 60s, and made the characters relevant for an entirely new generation.

It is one of the best of the era, in an era filled with greatness.