• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM GSXM #1

20 posts in this topic

981643106_gsxm1ebayfront1.thumb.jpg.ff623574b6e52b16df812fa24a77ec89.jpg2099285744_gsxm1rear2.thumb.jpg.e5bf19302f1acba57574772f3d854ee3.jpg

Hi.  I had an emotional roller coaster with a slabbed 9.6 GSXM#1 that was damaged in shipment (ended ok with a full refund), but I have this raw book which I will now get graded by CGC.  Hopefully this baby will grade well and would very much appreciate your thoughts.  The issues I saw: 

(1) On the big red "E" of X-Men on the front cover, there is very limited liquid or chemical damage but luckily is NOT a hole in the "E"'s black shadow.  A bit of discoloration went through to the back of the front cover (see pic). 

(2)  Related to (1), there is the tiny discoloration on the bottom of the red "T" of "GIANT". 

(3)  The lower left corner is a bit rough (perhaps typical of square-bound spines) which is visible from one of the side shots. 

(4) There is a soft lower right front corner with what looks like a small impact dent, which might leave a small crease even after pressing. I hope not?

(5)  There appears to be a tiny missing speck of black on the black line over the "6" of the "68" -- is that considered a flaw?

(6) I am not sure if the pix show any other issues.  But I should add that the book is very flat, and the square-bound spine is very square (perpendicular to the front/rear covers), so I do not think this book was ever pressed.   Although not visible, there is a slight fold that you can feel if you slide your gloved finger over the front cover from around Colossus's left hand (in the middle of the page) down to about Thunderbird's foot.  You can also feel it (not see it) on the early interior pages, just barely, so maybe the book was slightly or partially folded at some point, but apparently only temporarily.  A pressing candidate?   

(7)  Almost forgot to add, since not visible from pix, there is a 1mm overhang along the non-spine edges of both the front and rear cover that has survived well, as you can see from the pix, except for the slight impact crunch I noted at the lower front left cover.    

I wonder if a CCS press prior to CGC slabbing would improve the grade, but also whether I should slab this book with overhang in the first place.     

So what grade do you predict?   I am hoping for a 9.0, would be happy with an 8.5, and would be content in life with an 8.0.   If this looks like a 9,2 or more (my heart just skipped a beat), please tell me to sit down before you throw that at me because I would likely faint.  :) 

Thanks in advance! 

gsxm1 ebay front 2.jpg

gsxm1 ebay front 3.jpg

gsxm1 ebay front 5.jpg

gsxm1 ebay front 4.jpg

gsxm1 ebay inside 1.jpg

gsxm1 ebay inside 2.jpg

gsxm1 ebay rear.jpg772418645_gsxm1inside3.thumb.jpg.449ca7883cba74675b6e161c7658db6d.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

Thanks comicdonna. But a man can dream, right?  Book looks really nice with bright colors.  I guess we'll see.  So although small in area, you think the discoloration on the "E" is too distracting?   Or did you find additional issues?  Perhaps a press would bump it up a notch in your view, or did you already factor that in?   

2 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Thanks comicdonna. But a man can dream, right?  Book looks really nice with bright colors.  I guess we'll see.  So although small in area, you think the discoloration on the "E" is too distracting?   Or did you find additional issues?  Perhaps a press would bump it up a notch in your view, or did you already factor that in?   

If the discoloration on the E is a printing defect, the book would grade higher with a press.  If it's color loss, my guess is 7.5 with or without a press.  

Thanks silversurfer27 for the 9.0/9.2 prediction.  I'm smiling again. As for the ill-fated slabbed 9.6 book, no, it was just the right bottom front cover corner that suffered an impact crunch.  See my "PGM slabbed GSX-M #1 9.6 post-shipment" for the sad details about that, but might be pressable, so maybe not so sad for that seller (who gave me a full refund).  

Edited by Pantodude

IMO, the discoloration on the "e" seems to be on the "T" to the upper left as well. I think a 7.5 would be accurate if this is a stain as the red seems to be showing on the interior of the front cover as well. Book has a great look to it. 

I would be at 8.5 with press to get rid of back cover bends . but spine has damage on bottom and bends in middle will affect grade as well as 2 stains on FC 

Just wanted to clarify by press no less, I mean submitted with evaluation for press candidacy only, because it was cheap, but just slab for now.   Someone asked my I was pressing for, and realized my response above might have thrown him off.  Anyway, I heeded Comicdonna's impression that a press would not make a difference.   As I noted, in person, the books looks great (I saw no stains worth cleaning), including being perfectly flat on both sides when held up from the spine with rest of book dangling down.  I read somewhere that was a test for history of pressing, so apparently this book was never pressed.   Also, I read square spine books naturally come with dimples along the spine,and perhaps that is why Comicdonna remarked that a press would not make a difference.  Also wanted to keep submission cost lower in case comes back lower range and look at grader notes. 

You guys have been great (except for the wide range in your estimates!  -- only kidding,  Awesome feedback, and I appreciate it)- joe