• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I have pressed ?

13 posts in this topic

First time submitter to CGC over the last months and wondering whether I messed up and should have got my comics pressed first.

I submitted around 30 books May/June and I have received grades and grader notes on all of them now. There is a recurring theme on the grader notes on about half of my comics were bent. The grader notes ranged from 9.2 to 9.6 and looked like this 'bend left bottom of back cover'.

Should I have got them pressed ? would this have removed these type of notes and upped the grade ?

I should add that most of my comics I sent in for personal reasons, i.e. I am not looking to sell them so it is not a financial question. I have stored them since the late 80's and it bothers me that they have been knocked down a grade or 3 because of something I could have got pressed out. I am prepared to pay the cost of re-submitting with pressing if it is likely to improve the grades and remove the grader notes.

Thx.

my question is what was the purpose of your slabbing and grading your comics. If it was for a personal collection or for yourself wouldn't the protection from a slab be the most cause and I could see getting a press to get the highest grade possible as not worth it but most people usually want the highest grade so you can resell later. just trying to figure out why you don't care about the costs but want to get the "highest potential" grade possible if your not selling.. 

14 hours ago, Krishosein said:

my question is what was the purpose of your slabbing and grading your comics. If it was for a personal collection or for yourself wouldn't the protection from a slab be the most cause and I could see getting a press to get the highest grade possible as not worth it but most people usually want the highest grade so you can resell later. just trying to figure out why you don't care about the costs but want to get the "highest potential" grade possible if your not selling.. 

My purpose was to be able to display them on the wall, and from the slabs I already have I feel better looking up and seeing a comic I personally bought and stored showing a 9.8 than one showing a 9.4 (with a bend). It is a sense of pride for storing the comics well over the years plus the memory of reading them as a kid (I am less interested in re-reading them now). 

BTW I dont apply this logic to any slabs I buy myself now, as long as I feel I bought sensibly I dont care the grade.

5 hours ago, DaDuke said:

My purpose was to be able to display them on the wall, and from the slabs I already have I feel better looking up and seeing a comic I personally bought and stored showing a 9.8 than one showing a 9.4 (with a bend). It is a sense of pride for storing the comics well over the years plus the memory of reading them as a kid (I am less interested in re-reading them now). 

BTW I dont apply this logic to any slabs I buy myself now, as long as I feel I bought sensibly I dont care the grade.

Ok cool.

Well best advice I can give in this current situation is that when you get the books back to take a look at the books carefully and the full graders notes as some people have mentioned that they don't always list all the defects all the time a impacted corner or colour breaking bend or crease can't be fixed by a press. I would google press able defects and take a look at some of the info on this forum and CCS site about what type of defects can be pressed out. 

You can also post some of the books you think might benefit from a press on the forums and see if others think it could go up a bump but as many have said on this forum many people can't tell the difference between a 9.6 to 9.8 etc.. in those higher grades and its very subjective the grades can go +/- either direction. 

Do your research, post some pics with the graders notes and go from there. 

Best of Luck and welcome to the boards:tink:

If you've done your research and the money is right, you can even PAY expert pressers to check out your books and see if THEY think a press might help. 

Thanks for the opinions, appreciated. I will wait until they arrive (it takes a while to Australia) and see if any of them look possible candidates against the wisdom of some google searches.

I don't think we have any expert pressers over here in Sydney but I may be wrong. I will check out some facebook groups and see if I can get a recommendation to someone.

Cheers again.

If you were getting consistent 9.2 to 9.6 on books with a "small bend" it was most likely not color breaking which probably could be pressed out. I subbed some books not too long ago and I thought they were all easy 9.4 candidates. All came back 9.0 and even 8.5 with small/minor creases which could have been pressed out.  You could always post some scans of your books and people will be able to make recommendations. Still all nice grades IMO.

14 hours ago, DaDuke said:

Thanks for the opinions, appreciated. I will wait until they arrive (it takes a while to Australia) and see if any of them look possible candidates against the wisdom of some google searches.

I don't think we have any expert pressers over here in Sydney but I may be wrong. I will check out some facebook groups and see if I can get a recommendation to someone.

Cheers again.

Be wary of recommendations from Facebook groups. There are some nincompoops out there who don't know their nostril from a hole in the ground propagating techniques and methods that are flat out wrong and potentially harmful to books.

20 hours ago, DaDuke said:

Cheers again.

Beige ( a member on these boards is from Melbourne), you should hit him up. I would also recommend not getting anyone from a Facebook group to work on your books.