• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternate investment strategy - sell your collection for just a few high dollar comics
3 3

66 posts in this topic

My aching back says it’s a good plan. The problem is that you’d get just a portion of the individual or small lot value of the bulk while paying full value for the key. Personally, in the nineties I traded 3 long boxes of marvel bronze and copper for a hi grade GS X-Men 1 and an OO run of Archie’s from 5-20. Good deal for me although some random “keys” were probably mixed in with the drekI traded away. 

I agree it's a good investment strategy to have investments you can readily sell.  A single GA or SA significant key is far more liquid than thousands of lesser SA or BA books.  

But, once you implement that "investment strategy," I think you are no longer really a comic collector.  You're just an investor, like Parrino who was mentioned up thread, and your enjoyment of the books will be limited to investment return.  Displaying the books would likely be a bad idea due to fading and paper deterioration, far safer to put them in a climate controlled safety deposit box.

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Respectfully, that has not been my experience.

I still enjoy being a collector despite now having a clear floor. I enjoy these a lot more than I would a full run of Metal Men or Spawn. They may be few, but they hold my interest 

0B59CB8B-72E3-44DC-BDFB-C7DE489E49AB.jpeg

Those few, those happy few, those band of Mega Keys!

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I still enjoy being a collector despite now having a clear floor. I enjoy these a lot more than I would a full run of Metal Men or Spawn. They may be few, but they hold my interest 

Nice!! 

17 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That Batman #1 alone would make any small group a "collection"...

18 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I agree it's a good investment strategy to have investments you can readily sell.  A single GA or SA significant key is far more liquid than thousands of lesser SA or BA books.  

But, once you implement that "investment strategy," I think you are no longer really a comic collector.  You're just an investor, like Parrino who was mentioned up thread, and your enjoyment of the books will be limited to investment return.  Displaying the books would likely be a bad idea due to fading and paper deterioration, far safer to put them in a climate controlled safety deposit box.

I don't think this is really true.  I personally look at it as both.  If you act like just a collector then you will tend to pull the trigger on a book at all costs or regardless (or less regard) of the price, thinking of it as an investment helps me from splurging on stuff that I think is cool at the moment but doesn't really make financial sense.  On the other hand, I also like to get books that I think are cool for my own reasons but, like stocks, I need to have a reason why I think it would hold its value or go up outside of a market crash.  So, so far with collecting I've racked up X-men 1, Avengers 1, multiple FF48, multiple MS5, GSX1, FF52, ASM4, ASM50 so on and so forth.  I like all these books and can justify why I think each have value, which if I was collecting a run there would be multiple issues that the only justification would be to complete a run.  Its like collecting baseball cards of your favorite player's rookie cards.  Just because you don't want to finish a set of a particular year doesn't mean you don't enjoy the hobby and are only looking for money, means you can like those rookie cards of comic heroes and villains.  For me, this is just something where I can put a little bit of my extra money into instead of dumping it all into stocks and only getting to see numbers in green or red without ever getting to see or physically own it.

I did a bit of a combo because I still like collecting and not just investing.  But I sold off dozens of long boxes and boxes of cheaper slabs and started collecting Marvel Silver age CGC at the same grade. For instance DD1-10 in cgc 9.0 and Hulk 1-6 in CGC 4.0 ect  I now have a nice investment and still enjoy the hunt.  I however took the long approach to selling my comics and sold them in auctions on FB and Ebay 1 at a time.  I still pick up collection occasionally and am prone to impulse buys but I do have about 90% less books overall and they make a nice display and investment. 

On 7/16/2019 at 11:12 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I agree that it is not the size (or quality) of a collection that defines whether you are a collector.  It is the desire to collect, to stay passionate on the subject, to read comics, to learn new things, etc. that define whether you are a collector as opposed to just an investor.

I took the OP's post as discussing a person who decides to focus on investment return to the exclusion of the other aspects that normally define collectors.  

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I agree that it is not the size (or quality) of a collection that defines whether you are a collector.  It is the desire to collect, to stay passionate on the subject, to read comics, to learn new things, etc. that define whether you are a collector as opposed to just an investor.

I took the OP's post as discussing a person who decides to focus on investment return to the exclusion of the other aspects that normally define collectors.  

I agree about the desire and passion, as that's what makes a collector a collector

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

IMO a collector is what makes a collector a collector.

I could be wrong...

:hi:

so are you saying a collector makes other collectors I guess this could be technically correct as when a male collector and a female collector have relations they can make a baby 9 months later and that baby could then be a collector thus Collector makes baby collectors... I think I got it now xD

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

:hi:

so are you saying a collector makes other collectors I guess this could be technically correct as when a male collector and a female collector have relations they can make a baby 9 months later and that baby could then be a collector thus Collector makes baby collectors... I think I got it now xD

The baby is a collectible, too.

16 minutes ago, Krishosein said:
18 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

The baby is a collectible, too.

(worship)

I collected babies 15-20 years ago.  Now that they are in college no one seems to want to buy them.  Avoid babies as collectibles.

Just now, thunsicker said:

I collected babies 15-20 years ago.  Now that they are in college no one seems to want to buy them.  Avoid babies as collectibles.

I have such confused emotions about this I feel sad that no one wants them but want to laugh :(lol