• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo con

30 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, faust1104 said:

A nice watercolor "Batman" by Mignola.

Did anyone catch the price for that? 

The asking price was $8k...

...$10 bucks says that one, & the other three examples which already sold, were bought directly from Mignola before the line of fans could enter the room at the NYC Comic Art Expo in April...

The Paladium was a great place to hold this event. First thing you see walking into the exhibition area is C-Link to your left and Neal Adams to the right. Tons of original art and nice comics also. A Tales of Suspense 39 8.5 going for $42500. 

Most of the art did not have prices on it. If you did your home work before hand or had internet access you could look up prices for Anthony S, Albert Moy and Pete Koch. Otherwise you had to ask and then grab your ankles. Truly wonderful collection of art. Bechara Maalouf Nostalgic Investments had an impressive display and portfolios loaded with pages $900-$45000 range. Of course Cool lines was there.

I made 3k not even trying. Sold a seventies war cover that was just in my portfolios. The high light was my wife helping me find a holy grail poster we've been looking for the 1966 Spider-man 6 feet tall poster.

For art collectors you got to see many of the big dealers that attend SDCC. An appeal to Mike Burkey, please come next year! I had elbow room to spare. It felt like the old days when conventions were intimate and catered to the collector.

02BD4C89-7BFD-405B-88C5-D18D59BAEE82.jpeg

D2787FFB-2F8D-4A51-880D-F03A196D618F.jpeg

A445C38D-B2A0-47C1-948E-D5566DC8B677.jpeg

I enjoyed the show.  I liked how I could look at the art now and then concentrate on the fun new activations and exclusives at SDCC.

I thought this location was much better than LAX but traffic was still difficult.

Albert Moy had these Bruce Timm head sketches for $200 that were flying out of portfolios like crazy.  It seemed like that was the hot thing.  

The market on Adam Hughes seems to have really gone up a lot.

Anthony Snyder had a nice Marvel ad with all of the major characters on it.  It is not my thing but even I was impressed with it.  

I walked in carrying a big acid free box with a mylar that was empty in case I bought something.  As soon as I walked in and many places I went, people would ask if I was selling anything.  I didn't really think about that but it seemed like a great opportunity to sell.

So who bought the Cap #103 cover that everyone is talking about behind the scenes?? hm  And did it definitely sell or is it still being worked out (I've heard differing reports from people who were at the show)?  Inquiring minds want to know... :idea: 

I heard Conan #11 was being broken up by Thibodeaux at the show.  Just what the BWS Conan market needs - more supply, especially with Conan #6 pages* hitting the market regularly these days. :tonofbricks: 

* The tortured saga of the #6 complete story that was sold at ComicLink got resolved last year and the art has been sold off at both HA and CLink since then. 

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

...$10 bucks says that one, & the other three examples which already sold, were bought directly from Mignola before the line of fans could enter the room at the NYC Comic Art Expo in April...

Mike mentioned on Facebook the other day that he traded a bunch of little Batman watercolors to get a pretty classic Jeff Jones oil painting that he photographed hanging in his studio. I'd bet this was one of those.

14 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Mike mentioned on Facebook the other day that he traded a bunch of little Batman watercolors to get a pretty classic Jeff Jones oil painting that he photographed hanging in his studio. I'd bet this was one of those.

Which Jones painting??

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Which Jones painting??

Awesome. Can somebody share that "pretty classic...hanging in his studio" picture please?

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

I thought show was great. Hated getting there, but loved the venue.

I agree that it was close and slightly tight, but IMO that was a good thing. There was a 'buzz' everywhere you went. 

I saw dealers writing receipts all day long and several times couldn't ask a question because people were in the middle of back-to-back transactions. Talked to two people who told me "I did my first ever deal with CoolLines today!"

There was indeed a feeding frenzy for the Bruce Timm headshots. I heard they started with 80 and there must have maybe 10 remaining when we left the show.

Do you know what the deal was for the Bruce Timm headshots?  Why were they so popular?  Is it just at the pricepoint certain collectors love them?  

7 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

I was at the NYC expo before doors opened and did not see that piece in his folder. It was all black and white pieces from what I saw.

As a new collector, this convention was great for seeing so much amazing art in one place IN PERSON. Seeing art on a computer screen just sometimes doesn't do the art justice.  I was able to pick up a page from Albert Moy that hasn't been listed on his website, so finding it here was a nice surprise.

I'm glad this con exist cause going to SDCC is just too difficult and annoying. The move from the LAX Hilton to the Palladium was a good move.