• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Shock or am I Mistaken?

13 posts in this topic

Just noticed this listing. It's not clear, but definitely appears to have a popped staple with interior pages coming out of the inner well. The issue sits slanted as well. I would have thought based on overall condition the detached staple would have been noted on label. Am I wrong?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-4-CGC-6-5-1962-Namor-Marvel/323857956975?hash=item4b6770406f:g:sRQAAOSwHcNdJ-Dx:sc:USPSPriority!06902!US!-1

I had a 7.5 where detached staple was not mentioned on label, but was mentioned in grader's notes.

57 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I had a 7.5 where detached staple was not mentioned on label, but was mentioned in grader's notes.

Was it blue label or green?

@The Lions Den

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

33 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Was it blue label or green?

@The Lions Den

blue label

Verify CGC Certification

Certification Information

Certification #:

Title:

Green Lantern

Issue:

Issue Date:

6/62

Issue Year:

Publisher:

D.C. Comics

Grade:

Total Graded At:

Page Quality:

OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date:

01/09/2013

Category:

Universal

Art Comments:

John Broome story
Gil Kane and Joe Giella cover and art

Key Comments:

1st Silver Age Flash crossover.
Green Lantern and Flash reveal
their IDs to each other.

Grader Notes:

Bottom Staple Front Cover Detached
Bottom Staple Moderate Tear
Left Bottom Front Cover Small Scratch Breaks Color

GL13label.jpg

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

blue label

Verify CGC Certification

Certification #:

Title:

Green Lantern

Issue:

Issue Date:

6/62

Issue Year:

Publisher:

D.C. Comics

Grade:

Total Graded At:

Page Quality:

OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date:

01/09/2013

Category:

Universal

Art Comments:

John Broome story

Key Comments:

their IDs to each other.

Grader Notes:

GL13label.jpg

Would it matter if the staple was detached at the top from the first 3 wraps?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think it depends what graders/QC is smoking the day it is graded.

I would never give a 7.5 to a book with the cover detached at a staple .

There are some other factors to consider, such as: 1) The overall condition of the rest of the book.  2) Whether it's just the cover that's detached from the staple or some of the pages are detached as well.  3) Whether the book was supposed to have been Qualified and wasn't. To be honest, most books with just a detached cover at one staple will usually end up being in the Fine range at best (the FF #4 is a good example). The Green Lantern #13 may be an exception due to the fact that staple pulls are extremely common on Silver Age DC comics and the book would have graded much higher if not for the staple pull...hard to say.  (shrug) 

Looks to me like the book may just have been folded strangely when the book was printed. I’ve had books like that on occasion, they look like spine rolls at first. From the back cover it looks like the bottom staple is in place, so I’m not sure how you’d get pages protruding at the bottom without the bottom staple being the culprit. The back cover view is the most useful to see all this, and the open edge looks pretty consistent in that view. I’m also looking at the pics on my phone, so YMMV. 

Edited by mysterio

13 hours ago, lizards2 said:

blue label

Verify CGC Certification

Certification #:

Title:

Green Lantern

Issue:

Issue Date:

6/62

Issue Year:

Publisher:

D.C. Comics

Grade:

Total Graded At:

Page Quality:

OFF-WHITE TO WHITE

Grade Date:

01/09/2013

Category:

Universal

Art Comments:

John Broome story

Key Comments:

their IDs to each other.

Grader Notes:

GL13label.jpg

How does a book with a popped staple get a 7.5????

26 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

There are some other factors to consider, such as: 1) The overall condition of the rest of the book.  2) Whether it's just the cover that's detached from the staple or some of the pages are detached as well.  3) Whether the book was supposed to have been Qualified and wasn't. To be honest, most books with just a detached cover at one staple will usually end up being in the Fine range at best (the FF #4 is a good example). The Green Lantern #13 may be an exception due to the fact that staple pulls are extremely common on Silver Age DC comics and the book would have graded much higher if not for the staple pull...hard to say.  (shrug) 

This thread is kind of a rehash of one from one or two months ago. To me, the book looked like a 7.5 without the staple pull (read the grader's notes), so maybe it missed the green label, or whatever.  You can clearly see the deteach in the scan, which I wish the seller had pointed out to me, because I missed it until I removed the outer well.  And, I paid a normal 7.5 price on the darn thing.

GL13cgc7.5.jpg

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

How does a book with a popped staple get a 7.5????

banana082.gif

3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

This thread is kind of a rehash of one from one or two months ago. To me, the book looked like a 7.5 without the staple pull (read the grader's notes), so maybe it missed the green label, or whatever.  You can clearly see the deteach in the scan, which I wish the seller had pointed out to me, because I missed it until I removed the outer well.  And, I paid a normal 7.5 price on the darn thing.

If it was a misprinted label I’d expect a note on the popped staple. I think they meant to give it blue. Shouldn’t have happened.