• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub-Mariner 1
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Need some help with this one guys. Want to make sure I'm being honest with myself... Please let me know what you think of grade, pre/post press. Sorry front cover only...

Spoiler

To help draw your eye, what I see is:

- Multiple spine ticks, extent of color breaking is tough to say

- Top left, blue section, above Namor's head but left of his right arm. Couple spots. Also a couple black smudges on the A & 2nd R in "MARINER". Also a brown spot in-between the R & I of "MARINER". Could all be production, or maybe not...?

- Top edge curled over, can be mostly pressed out. This goes for the top right corner as well.

- Near top right quadrant, fleck of blue. Just a production thing, or pen? I highly suspect it's nothing of concern, but...

- Bottom right corner. Itsy bitsy piece of front cover folded forward. Press would improve, but probably not make disappear.

- Blunted bottom left corner

scan0148.thumb.jpg.0d54c494284edc44685a33a111af5e5c.jpg

Edited by Callaway29

4 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

what did you give it?

As it sits about the same as twopiece honestly, but like I said...I thought I was being a little OCD which is why I came here. After press/clean 8.0/8.5...9.0 if I got lucky. Notice I didn't say PGM. A dealer is offering this as a NM- (9.2)...

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You and @ADAMANTIUM can cry about my harsh grading together.

Reveal hidden contents

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19337-1370862806-1.

giphy.gif

Side thought. A lot of people boast about being a harsh grader. I'd rather be accurate vs harsh. That should be the goal...

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Just now, Callaway29 said:

Side thought. A lot of people boast about being a harsh grader. I'd rather be accurate vs harsh. That should be the goal...

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

:pullhair:

I don't consider myself a "harsh" grader, but he begged me to stop giving him 3.0-3.5s. lol

I'm not mature enough in grading to consider my opinions "accurate". :sorry:

Before reading your description.... 8.5 or 9.0. After reading your description, 7.5-8.0. I cannot really see most of the issues that you listed, the photo is not good enough unfortunately.

The top edge is very typical for Silver Age Marvels. The rest of the flaws look pretty minor to me. If there are no hidden flaws, an 8.5 - 9.0 certainly seems possible here. I'd have it pressed to make it as good as it can be...

Edited by The Lions Den