• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

July 16 Informal San Diego Gold/Silver/Bronze Collector "Pop-Up" Gathering - Show & Tell & Horse Trades

9 posts in this topic

Hi people,
I'm a long-time collector with a crazy idea. Not terribly unprecedented (there used to be dinners organized by members of these chat boards, art collectors, etc.) so nothing revolutionary here.
I wanted to set up a collector gathering this year and have decided to just go for it. I was trying to brainstorm an EASY way for collectors to come together, show off some cool golden, silver, and bronze stuff, chat, hang-out, and possibly trade/sell things. As you all know, it's VERY difficult to afford even a small plot of real estate in the SD Convention Center, so I thought this would be an option that I'd start for collectors to gather informally. If fans wanted to come and just chat, that's cool! Show off some cool books? That's cool. Sell or trade a few things, that's cool.
Here's the info:

All are welcome to join up.

Mini Pop-Up Collector Gathering

When: Tuesday (7/16) night 6-7:30 PM

Downtown San Diego Central Library 
330 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92101 (link is external)
(Downtown East Village, Park Boulevard at 11th Avenue, near Petco Park and minutes from the main convention center)
We'll meet at the The Living Room Garden Courtyard with Café

Parking is FREE!!!! (two hours with validation. . .just take your ticket upstairs and get it validated at the front desk.

The Living Room Garden Courtyard is the front entrance to the library. Lots of places to sit. There is library security nearby (and that's a good thing).

I'm going to bring two short boxes of silver, gold, and bronze stuff. Some for sale, some for show & tell. I look forward to meeting folks and just trading war stories and great "comic that got away" tales.
If you have questions, lemme know via PM.
Mick Rabin

If you did this on Thursday i think it would be well attended.  I know myself and a few others would definitely show up but the issue is that most people don't get there until Wednesday afternoon at the earliest.  

I hear you. We'll move forward with this one tonight. Whoever shows up shows up. Should be fun.

But rolling with the requests. . .
I have an cool alternative for anybody who misses Tuesday.
For you fellers that are rolling in later than Tuesday night, I'm going to invite you to another informal fan gathering on Thursday night. There are some old stragglers who used to be the core of the annual Big-5 war collectors war banquet. None of the artists who used to be our guests are alive anymore, but we've been meeting anyway at Filippi's Pizza on India St. (Little Italy. . .NW corner of downtown near the airport). Bring some boxes of cool stuff. All of us love war comics, but we also love romance, horror, sci-fi, funny animal, crime, and even the occasional superhero book. I'll tell them to bring some good stuff. Everybody can bring goodies for show and tell and/or purchase/trade. And you get some incredible pizza/pasta while you're there. Super affordable menu. Best Italian food in town. We'll be on the back patio hopefully. It would be good to PM me so that we know you're coming Thursday and I can revise the headcount for the table accordingly. Look for the table full of comic books! I'll bring a couple of short boxes and some original art.

Thursday, July 18
7:45-9:30
Filippi's Pizza
1747 India St, San Diego, CA 92101

Bring a box or two of cool stuff! Original art. . .show and tell AND purchase/trades are welcome.
Hope to see you at one or the other gathering.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:22 AM, EMG said:

I was actually thinking of doing something like this in socal/ L.A.

Lemme know if you do. Definitely game for gawking at books-- fan get-togethers are always worthy diversions!

Edited by comick1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:57 PM, comick1 said:

Lemme know if you do. Definitely game for gawking at books-- fan get-togethers are always worthy diversions!

If we can get at least 10 people on here saying they are interested then I will go ahead & try an organize something.   Because out of 10, 4-5 may show up.