• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller sent wrong CGC book
2 2

12 posts in this topic

First post here..

In summary bought a 9.8 CGC book (newsstand version) on ebay, received a 9.8 CGC book (direct version.) Looking for advice. 

I recently bought a CGC 9.8 book on ebay, within the past couple of weeks, I was looking through my purchases today and noticed the pictures in the auction looked different. I was sent a different book! Still a CGC 9.8 version, but with a different certification number and it's the direct version, not newsstand that was pictured. 

Only reason I can think of is, the book I was sent has worse centering and he wanted to keep the one pictured. I emailed the seller, to ask why he sent a different book. I haven't heard back. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks! 

Definitely start the return process with the reason being "item not as described" or "Item not same as pictured".  Its one of the two.  You'll get your refund.  But you probably won't get the sellers attention until you start the returns process...  Even if they state they don't do returns.

is the seller a reputable person with good feedback? Also how long has it been since you contacted them if you haven't heard from them in a bit and it seems like they are ignoring you then would open up a return process with Ebay.

11 minutes ago, JTD said:

I hope the OPs username doesn’t check out.

:fear:

Thanks guys! His feedback was ok, not 100% but pretty close. I gave the guy a day and no response yet. I'll try again and open the refund process. I sent him a picture too. He didn't mark the item as shipped which was odd.. 

I agree on a newsstand being like a variant. I'm just glad I double checked! 

The same thing has happened to me before - a few times in fact.  Usually it's a case of someone claiming to use a "stock photo" since they have multiple copies in the same grade (and thinking that all books with the same grade are equal).

However, it's still a bait-and-switch.  Especially if the "stock photo" is a perfectly centered newstand version and you end up with a miswrapped direct version, as happened to me once...

6 hours ago, Loki said:

However, it's still a bait-and-switch.

Absolutely. The seller will pretend it doesn't make any difference and that CGC doesn't identify any differences, but there's no reason to use a picture for a more desired item and send the less desired item except bait-and-switch-and-hope-to-get-away-with-it.

Use Ebay's return process and you'll get free return shipping and a full refund.  Item is NOT as described/shown in auction. :foryou: