• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With which artists have you communicated (in person, via letter, etc.)?

23 posts in this topic

Anecdotes welcome!

Off the top of my head, at cons...

Art Adams

Neal Adams

Artgerm

Elias Chatzoudis

Joyce Chin

Frank Cho

Jae Lee

Ron Lim

Josh Middleton

Neal was especially awesome, spinning yarns with a personal touch.  He also asked who I thought was the greatest artist of all time.  I mentioned Matt Baker (was in a Baker phase then), only for him to shake his head and reply, "No.  Frazetta.  Look him up."  And so I did...

I've talked with Tony Harris on the phone but not in years. I have called AV and talked with Dave Sim. I will be calling Rudy Nebres today and then going over to his house I think.

Frank Miller was in the bar alone at the Sofitel after a Wizard show but I was a graduate student and didn't have enough money to buy him a drink so wifey and I left him alone. ON that trip we were in the indoor pool and Steven Seagle (not Segal!) and friends came and joined us in the pool and talked industry gossip as if we weren't there.

Cons are great places to talk and I have talked to so many there but what stands out is that Mike Mignola was all alone at a show once (Philly?) and we talked for quite some time about his fear of failure and lack of confidence. I brought my eldest daughter, an art student, to meet him last year and we talked about decision making as an artist and he was great with her.

Edited by Bird

meet Joyce Chin at a Con very nice person fun to talk to. 

Also Jason Fabok twice was nice when his sigs on graded books were free lol oh well guess he's getting a bit more popular. 

Greg Capullo, J scott Campbell.. back when his signature was free as well before the hype.. Nice people all of them. 

Mike Zek a couple times at cons and on FB.

Scott Williams at a con and here on the forums.

Joe Rubinstein and Jim Lee (briefly) at a con.

Zeck and Williams, both class acts.  I highly recommend them both if you are looking for anything signed they have worked on.  They are truly great individuals to converse/interact with.  Zeck is the reason I have ventured into signed comics.

Rubinstein, he was pretty off putting at first until I asked to have a picture taken with him and my son.  He opened up pretty quickly then and was pretty cool.  I am guessing he thought I was just a flipper instead of a collector just making memories with my kiddo.

Jim Lee was very brief, but seemed really excited to have so many people in line to see him specifically.

Met and talked with Berni Wrightson at the Boston Con. Not sure of the year, but might have been 2011? He was in the back with noone at his table! Nice guy!
In hindsight...wish that I would have got a Swamp Thing or Frankenstein monster commission from him....didn't even get his autograph! Just shook his hand and talked for a bit...

Met Neal Adams at Tampa Con last year. Bought a print of GL GA 85 and got it signed. Talked to him and his wife for a bit. Remember saying how it sucked that DC and Marvel were
not in NYC anymore. His response was:  "What are you going to do?" "Things change" "You can't go back in time" or a version of that ... Nice guy, friendly and down to earth...

Just now, Hiro said:

Met and talked with Berni Wrightson at the Boston Con. Not sure of the year, but might have been 2011? He was in the back with noone at his table! Nice guy!
In hindsight...wish that I would have got a Swamp Thing or Frankenstein monster commission from him....didn't even get his autograph! Just shook his hand and talked for a bit...

Met Neal Adams at Tampa Con last year. Bought a print of GL GA 85 and got it signed. Talked to him and his wife for a bit. Remember saying how it sucked that DC and Marvel were
not in NYC anymore. His response was:  "What are you going to do?" "Things change" "You can't go back in time" or a version of that ... Nice guy, friendly and down to earth...

Bernie left alone... that's crazy !

Met P. Craig Russell several times at local cons - always very pleasant and courteous to talk with. Don't think many people are aware of his work as we last talked for probably 30 minutes before anyone else walked up.

Even signed a few of his Elric mini-series (Pacific Comics version) for free.

I met Steranko. 

Very interesting guy. He's kind of a like a walking comic book - a guy from another place and time. Very nice, but he doesn't like it when your wife pulls out the camera for a pic. lol 

I also got into an argument with Erik Larsen over social media. Some people can't handle the truth! lol 

20 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Bernie left alone... that's crazy !

Right! I thought that too, but half the people there probably didn't know who he was or were too busy chasing after the My Little Pony book or whatever crappy comic flavor of the month was happening back then....

10 hours ago, Bird said:

ON that trip we were in the indoor pool and Steven Seagle (not Segal!) and friends came and joined us in the pool and talked industry gossip as if we weren't there.

Yes I've had this happen too.  I was invited to a gathering of marvel guys-D listers-by my buddy CP Smith-to make sure I knew they were big shots they all talked as if I wasnt there.  Except CP.  

28 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes I've had this happen too.  I was invited to a gathering of marvel guys-D listers-by my buddy CP Smith-to make sure I knew they were big shots they all talked as if I wasnt there.  Except CP.  

I thought you only met Kneel

7 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I thought you only met Kneel

I have never met Kneel.  His loss.

When I worked at Eddie Bauer while in graduate school (circa Heroes Reborn), a familiar face approached the register to purchase a sweater. He pulled out the first Platinum AMEX I'd ever seen. "Rob Liefeld" it read. Played it cool and rang him up like any other customer, but immediately regretted that I didn't get a sig, sketch, or even chat him up for a minute because I was a huge fan of his work at the time. (Don't judge me!)

Edited by alexanderjk

1 hour ago, alexanderjk said:

When I worked at Eddie Bauer while in graduate school (circa Heroes Reborn), a familiar face approached the register to purchase a sweater. He pulled out the first Platinum AMEX I'd ever seen. "Rob Liefeld" it read. Played it cool and rang him up like any other customer, but immediately regretted that I didn't get a sig, sketch, or even chat him up for a minute because I was a huge fan of his work at the time. (Don't judge me!)

lol I'd be tempted too! WE're Cretins! 2c BUT you handled it right! Good for you!

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, newshane said:

I met Steranko. 

Very interesting guy. He's kind of a like a walking comic book - a guy from another place and time. Very nice, but he doesn't like it when your wife pulls out the camera for a pic. lol 

It's my understanding that after years of being a boxer, he has become very sensitive to flashes of light.  He said he doesn't mind the idea of taking pictures with fans, but he would say "no flash, please" and inevitably the flash would accidently go off.  It's just easier to have a "no pictures" policy. 

It's also part of the reason you'll almost never see him without tinted glasses on.

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol I'd be tempted too! WE're Cretins! 2c BUT you handled it right! Good for you!

5 hours ago, alexanderjk said:

Did he buy a xxxxxxxL shirt, 28x36 pants, and shoes size 4 extra narrow?

32 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Did he buy a xxxxxxxL shirt, 28x36 pants, and shoes size 4 extra narrow?

should have said, "here let me ring you up slim"