• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Greatest Artists

84 posts in this topic

We can deliberate ad nauseam re: the future of the hobby, but one thing's for certain -- every generation going forward will produce a new crop of talented artists (whatever the medium).  And our hobby continues to be blessed with luminary talents, many of whom were hardly visible even a decade ago.

Who are your favorite comic book artists (1) hard at work today, plus (2) best known for their Modern Age art?  Mainstream, indie, interiors, covers, digital, non-digital, doesn't matter. 

More interested in hearing why a given individual's work is enjoyed vs. contrarian responses; tastes differ, and that's fine.  Roll out !  Will gather my own thoughts on this.

*** And now, we should feel free to share whatever by the aforementioned artists, whether owned or not.

Edited by exitmusicblue

Some personal faves, mostly mainstream to start.

Bianchi: Glossy vitality... need to pick up something by him.

Immonen: Understated, poignant.

Dell'Otto: Baroque savant. 

Francavilla: Shadow & tone mastery.

And in the GGA world...

Artgerm: East + West nostalgia fount.

Adam Hughes: Classic yet bold contours... another that I respect despite not having collected.

JSC: Zeitgeist Lite. When he's on, he's on.

Edited by exitmusicblue

In no particular order, and not mentioned above:

Jerome Opena:  Wow, he's slow.  But OMFG is he good.  From his run on Uncanny X-Force that got me back into moderns, to his work on 7 to Eternity, he could draw a book about dirt and make it into an epic.

Giuseppe Camuncoli: One of the most prolific modern Spider-Man artists going.  A great blend of old and new school style, and great storytelling.

Esad Ribic: Epic painted covers, and also has the talent to do some amazing interior work.  His Thor run is the stuff of dreams.

Dave Johnson: This is the one cover artist that I'll put on a list like this.  I found him from 100 Bullets and from there he's continued to impress me.  Also the only time I know he did interiors was Red Son, which was also phenomenal.

Edited by Pete Marino

Favorites:

Daniel Warren Johnson the man's drawing and brush work are amazing, and his visual story telling is too.  Not to mention his writing.

Ian Bertram's abstract / dark approach just blows my mind.

Skottie Young... I love his demented cartooning style, and the amount of humor he puts into his cartooning

Marc Bell from the Canadian Indie rack. His last book Worn Tuff Elbow was especially spectacular. I love his mix of Crumb / Merry Melodies / high-brow fart jokes

Fiona Staples is a master of capturing human emotion, and using it to tell stories. I wish she produced OA.

and I really, really, really, really wish Darwyn Cooke still counted in this list... the man was a visionary, and was making prime material right up until the end. And, he was a pleasure to meet. :( 

Humberto Ramos

I grew up reading comics from the mid 70s through the early 90s then took a break for many years.  I first noticed Ramos art during his Crimson years and was impressed by his style.  Then in 2014, I saw his work on ASM and have been a fan ever since.

His exuberant style breaks through the confines of the classic comic style I knew during my youth.  It seems his detractors don’t like his exaggerated, Manga-ish style because it breaks from the classic comic book norms but these are the aspects of his art I enjoy the most.  I can definitely see Disney-like influences in his work as well.

He’s been the primary ASM artist for several years now and this current generation of readers will continue to relate to him as we older comic fans gravitate towards artists from our era.  

To each his own of course, and it doesn’t bother me if older collectors don’t collect his art.  It just leaves more for me :)

I’m old school. I really like Tom Mandrake. Chaykin is still excellent, although I liked his work better when he was still doing whole pages instead of panels he would merge in Photoshop (he has excellent panel design skills going to waste). Also, Guillem March (great at drawing women, by the way). Amy Reeder is under appreciated, too (very tight pencils). Saw Ashley Witter’s work on Squorriors recently. Excellent skills even though the book isn’t my favorite.