• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Greatest Artists

84 posts in this topic

Ryan Stegman, Liam Sharp, Mike Allred, Tradd Moore, Ian Bertram, Geoff Shaw, Jenny Frisson, Nicola Scott, Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Dean Ormston, and on and on and on. The level - and volume - of talent in the industry right now has never been better, IMHO. This is like the late 1960's to mid 70's rock music era - or the 1930's to 40's Big band era - when you had some of the best musicians in the world going into a specific music genre. You, right now, are seeing some of the best visual artists in the world making comic books. It's astounding. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Zach Howard (The Cape, Wild Blue Yonder) blows me away.

Sean Murphy. Some great stuff in Batman: White Knight.

Terry Moore: Doesn't skip a beat while doing the whole job of writing/inking/lettering solo, SIP25 is a treat.

Fiona Staples. Oh how I wish she did OA. Actually, my bank account says thank you for not doing OA.

1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Terry Moore: Doesn't skip a beat while doing the whole job of writing/inking/lettering solo, SIP25 is a treat.

Fiona Staples. Oh how I wish she did OA. Actually, my bank account says thank you for not doing OA.

Amen!

4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Ryan Stegman, Liam Sharp, Mike Allred, Tradd Moore, Ian Bertram, Geoff Shaw, Jenny Frisson, Nicola Scott, Jim Lee, Mike Mignola, Dean Ormston, and on and on and on. The level - and volume - of talent in the industry right now has never been better, IMHO. This is like the late 1960's to mid 70's rock music era - or the 1930's to 40's Big band era - when you had some of the best musicians in the world going into a specific music genre. You, right now, are seeing some of the best visual artists in the world making comic books. It's astounding. 

I agree with you on this, which is one reason prices in the future of the old classics will drop. 

Don't forget that artists are not only better paid now, but they have expanded artistic freedom which has really grown since Adams was first active.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I agree with you on this, which is one reason prices in the future of the old classics will drop. 

Don't forget that artists are not only better paid now, but they have expanded artistic freedom which has really grown since Adams was first active.

We ain't bringing that shiznit into this here thread ! lol For shame.

20 hours ago, Nexus said:

I'm obviously biased, but you could throw a dart at my roster and anyone you hit, has a chance to stand out as a top artist of this era. I'm lucky to see their art up close and personal every day...the talent leaves me speechless sometimes. Only time will tell...see you in 20 years.

You have some of my favorite artists on your roster. If I made a prognostication as to who will have the most staying power come 20 years, in order:

1. Ian Bertram

2. Yuko Shimizu

3. Daniel Warren Johnson

4. Paul Pope

I think social media like IG, Youtube, Twitch are gamechangers for artists and creatives. Moving forward, I believe the lines are going to start to blur between comic art, illustration, and possibly fine art and really elevate some artists to popular superstar status. 

20 minutes ago, jaykza said:

You have some of my favorite artists on your roster. If I made a prognostication as to who will have the most staying power come 20 years, in order:

1. Ian Bertram

2. Yuko Shimizu

3. Daniel Warren Johnson

4. Paul Pope

I think social media like IG, Youtube, Twitch are gamechangers for artists and creatives. Moving forward, I believe the lines are going to start to blur between comic art, illustration, and possibly fine art and really elevate some artists to popular superstar status. 

Great choices and well said.

1 hour ago, jaykza said:

1. Ian Bertram

2. Yuko Shimizu

3. Daniel Warren Johnson

4. Paul Pope

Yuko Shimizu's art is AMAZING! Started following her on instagram after talking about her with you... DUDE... really really falling in love with her work. 

22 hours ago, Nexus said:

I'm obviously biased, but you could throw a dart at my roster and anyone you hit, has a chance to stand out as a top artist of this era. I'm lucky to see their art up close and personal every day...the talent leaves me speechless sometimes. Only time will tell...see you in 20 years.

you're kind of not wrong Felix. 

4 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

I agree there are great artists out there.  Problem is to have them associated to great storylines....not many will stick in my memory, I am afraid.

So damned true.

I was reading Frazetta's one EC story... he didn't write it, but it was so bad... a waste of the art almost.

I have to limit this to currently working interior artists-

Wes Craig

Mico Suayan

Ivan Reis

Tomas Giorello

Lee Bermejo

Gabriel Hardman

Gary Frank

Chris Ware

Eddy Barrows

Juan Ferrerya

Joelle Jones

Rafa Sandoval

Jim Cheung

Olivier Coipel

Paulo Siquiera

Mikel Janin

Nicola Scott

Tomm Coker

80s-90s people still doing incredible interior work-

Kevin Maguire

Terry Moore

Jackson Guice

Michael Lark

Sean Phillips

Steve Rude

Modern folks not currently on a book?

Gabriel Rodriguez

JH Williams

Adam Hughes (interiors)

Jay Anacleto (interiors)

Alex Ross (interiors)

Terry Dodson (interiors)

I will probably remember some more people... I'm not going to bother listing all of the amazing cover artists. We know who they are.