• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Greatest Artists

84 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i didnt know yuko did comics! her illustration work is amazing.

No story / panel stuff but a decent number of covers and interior illustrations. I can’t wait for her first big drop w/ Felix. I really want one of the space illustrations she’s been posting last week or so. One word, damn

How has this gotten to three pages with no mention of Mike Allred? 

For the "who's doing the yeoman's work out there" question, tough to beat Chris Samnee for that imo. Guy just flat out works. 

Matt Kindt is another I'd throw out there for his watercolor work. 

I've mentioned this in another thread in the past, but the most impressive art imo is coming internationally, Brazil and Spain in particular. Both have a great mix of OG's and up-and-comers getting a lot of exposure, especially at the big 2

10 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

No story / panel stuff but a decent number of covers and interior illustrations. I can’t wait for her first big drop w/ Felix. I really want one of the space illustrations she’s been posting last week or so. One word, damn

Ditto. Absolutely fantastic stuff. 

I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this question, so I figured this would do. 

Does anyone have familiarity with Jason Shawn Alexander's work? What about pricing/value? I was looking at some posted things, and I liked what I saw. Reminds me a little of Sienkiewicz. 

Edited by Rick2you2

Yes. Jason has his own very distinct look and way of working. His pieces are akin to twice up pages for the most part.

Pricing depends on what work you are into. He’s done a bunch of diverse things. The pages tend to mostly be In the 300-800 range, and splashes and panel pages from certain titles can run a bit higher. Covers run 1k-5k, again, depending on subject and content. Some are huge. Some talking heads pages have sold under $300.

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Yes. Jason has his own very distinct look and way of working. His pieces are akin to twice up pages for the most part.

Pricing depends on what work you are into. He’s done a bunch of diverse things. The pages tend to mostly be In the 300-800 range, and splashes and panel pages from certain titles can run a bit higher. Covers run 1k-5k, again, depending on subject and content. Some are huge. Some talking heads pages have sold under $300.

Thanks. What about something unpublished that looks like a panel page? 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Thanks. What about something unpublished that looks like a panel page? 

I wouldn't even know where to start... Id imagine it could be anywhere on the scale, depending on the quality, content, etc. Most would assign a lower value due to the unpublished angle. But with Artists (cap A), who knows. He'll sell it for what he thinks he can get.

Only ever worth what someone else will pay you for it, ultimately.

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I wouldn't even know where to start... Id imagine it could be anywhere on the scale, depending on the quality, content, etc. Most would assign a lower value due to the unpublished angle. But with Artists (cap A), who knows. He'll sell it for what he thinks he can get.

Only ever worth what someone else will pay you for it, ultimately.

It's not moving too quickly.

I’m surprised I’m the only one who noted Humberto Ramos.  He’s been the main artist on ASM for many years now and has had stints on multiple titles.  He’s a major artist in today’s Marvel.

I started reading comics in the 1970’s so I understand why my contemporaries gravitate to the bronze and copper art from books we read growing up. It’s natural. I still prefer art from those eras, but I appreciate more modern art and that it’s all still part of the same overall history.  The appeal for me for newer art especially Ramos is that it’s NOT like what I grew up reading.    

And sometimes I wonder.  When McFarlane emerged as a fan favorite in the 90s, were old school collectors at that time as critical of his style as some are with Ramos now?  I think probably so.

It’s all good though.  I’m a true fan of his so I’m glad that I’m able to acquire pieces of his art without having to duke it out w too many competitors.

37 minutes ago, Infamouspure22 said:

I’m surprised I’m the only one who noted Humberto Ramos.  He’s been the main artist on ASM for many years now and has had stints on multiple titles.  He’s a major artist in today’s Marvel.

I started reading comics in the 1970’s so I understand why my contemporaries gravitate to the bronze and copper art from books we read growing up. It’s natural. I still prefer art from those eras, but I appreciate more modern art and that it’s all still part of the same overall history.  The appeal for me for newer art especially Ramos is that it’s NOT like what I grew up reading.    

And sometimes I wonder.  When McFarlane emerged as a fan favorite in the 90s, were old school collectors at that time as critical of his style as some are with Ramos now?  I think probably so.

It’s all good though.  I’m a true fan of his so I’m glad that I’m able to acquire pieces of his art without having to duke it out w too many competitors.

Ramos is great, and I can recognize his pieces easily, but in terms of a ‘style of his own’ I don’t think he has yet shown anything as distinctive as some of the others mentioned. For me personally, when we are talking about great artists, they have developed a unique vocabulary that works and shifts with different voices. I’ll go back to Tradd Moore - he’s young and relatively new, but he is utterly unique. And Sink is someone I would also point to. Ramos has it, but we haven’t seen it yet, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, dichotomy said:

Ramos is great, and I can recognize his pieces easily, but in terms of a ‘style of his own’ I don’t think he has yet shown anything as distinctive as some of the others mentioned. For me personally, when we are talking about great artists, they have developed a unique vocabulary that works and shifts with different voices. I’ll go back to Tradd Moore - he’s young and relatively new, but he is utterly unique. And Sink is someone I would also point to. Ramos has it, but we haven’t seen it yet, IMHO. 

I like Tradd Moore also.  Definitely a unique style.  No arguments there.  We all have our preferences.  I guess I was thinking also in terms of artist impact/imprint not just artistic ability. Ramos has a huge body of work and has also been part of the creation of multiple characters and the artist on some big story arcs over recent years on ASM.

I mentioned earlier in this post that it is difficult for me to truly enjoy contemporary artists because I am finding it hard to connect with today’s storylines, even if I read 8-10 titles a month. Someone reminded me that not all stories from our youth were exactly masterpieces . Fair point.

But recently I connected big time with Hickman’s relaunch of the X franchise (and mind you I am not a big Hickman’s fan) . And lo - I immediately bought three pages from Silva’s and Di Benedetto’s run on Powers of X. And the other pages available were snapped up in a matter of days, which you don ‘t see happening to the work of  maybe even better artists associated with mediocre stories.

So in my mind there is no way around it, comic OA has to be associated  to strong storytelling.

2 hours ago, Carlo M said:

I mentioned earlier in this post that it is difficult for me to truly enjoy contemporary artists because I am finding it hard to connect with today’s storylines,

You're reading the wrong comics. Try something besides Marvel and DC.

2 hours ago, Carlo M said:

So in my mind there is no way around it, comic OA has to be associated  to strong storytelling.

This is probably a Law of Nature but there are exceptions. That subject would be worthy of it's own Topic though.

6 hours ago, Carlo M said:

I mentioned earlier in this post that it is difficult for me to truly enjoy contemporary artists because I am finding it hard to connect with today’s storylines, even if I read 8-10 titles a month. Someone reminded me that not all stories from our youth were exactly masterpieces . Fair point.

But recently I connected big time with Hickman’s relaunch of the X franchise (and mind you I am not a big Hickman’s fan) . And lo - I immediately bought three pages from Silva’s and Di Benedetto’s run on Powers of X. And the other pages available were snapped up in a matter of days, which you don ‘t see happening to the work of  maybe even better artists associated with mediocre stories.

Whether today's storylines/comics are for you or not, there still remains a hungry audience for the art. And as Voudou notes, that interest isn't just limited to Marvel or DC books. I've been seeing fans show up for all types of modern art we sell...Big Two...indie...published...unpublished...it almost doesn't matter. You can check out what's sold off our site in the last 90 days here:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/newitems.asp

Scroll down to see all the different artists/styles represented.

To some degree, it's a generational thing. Just as newer comics aren't really for you, older comics aren't really for many of the new collectors. All that matters to me is that there ARE new collectors. And I hope they'll be around a while.