• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Greatest Artists

84 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Nexus said:

Whether today's storylines/comics are for you or not, there still remains a hungry audience for the art. And as Voudou notes, that interest isn't just limited to Marvel or DC books. I've been seeing fans show up for all types of modern art we sell...Big Two...indie...published...unpublished...it almost doesn't matter. You can check out what's sold off our site in the last 90 days here:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/newitems.asp

Scroll down to see all the different artists/styles represented.

To some degree, it's a generational thing. Just as newer comics aren't really for you, older comics aren't really for many of the new collectors. All that matters to me is that there ARE new collectors. And I hope they'll be around a while.

I did have a look and the amount of art sold from contemporary artists is impressive indeed.  Having younger collectors willing to buy OA is great, I was under the impression that these pieces did not move that much

As to great contemporary artists, you may remember we did talk about Tradd Moore's Silver Surfer when I was trying to acquire one page.  Here is another story and art that are likely to remain impressed in my memory, again thanks to the combination of both.  Keep up the good work!

On 8/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, Nexus said:

Whether today's storylines/comics are for you or not, there still remains a hungry audience for the art. And as Voudou notes, that interest isn't just limited to Marvel or DC books. I've been seeing fans show up for all types of modern art we sell...Big Two...indie...published...unpublished...it almost doesn't matter. You can check out what's sold off our site in the last 90 days here:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/newitems.asp

Scroll down to see all the different artists/styles represented.

To some degree, it's a generational thing. Just as newer comics aren't really for you, older comics aren't really for many of the new collectors. All that matters to me is that there ARE new collectors. And I hope they'll be around a while.

Another excuse to continue the demographics/future of hobby debate...

I didn't partake in the recent Absolute Carnage art drop but I'll tell ya, looking at the action on Felix's recent drops, modern art buyers (whom I assume to skew much younger than the vaunted 50-60 yo vintage generation) seem to have some pretty decent buying power and without a doubt, some fraction will move on to older art. When I'm discussing buying power, I mean to say that current buyers are probably paying as much if not more for modern pieces in real terms relative to any past period. Just an observation...

Edited by jaykza

10 hours ago, jaykza said:

Another excuse to continue the demographics/future of hobby debate...

I didn't partake in the recent Absolute Carnage art drop but I'll tell ya, looking at the action on Felix's recent drops, modern art buyers (whom I assume to skew much younger than the vaunted 50-60 yo vintage generation) seem to have some pretty decent buying power and without a doubt, some fraction will move on to older art. When I'm discussing buying power, I mean to say that current buyers are probably paying as much if not more for modern pieces in real terms relative to any past period. Just an observation...

I was very impressed with the Absolute Carnage #1 OA selling price. The owner posted on social media and that was  revealing as to the kind of person who is(able/willing) to buy that kind of 5 figure contemporary artwork. And they are only one example - who knows what Martin Schkreli was buying blind and throwing into a safe...

On 8/20/2019 at 3:44 AM, dichotomy said:

I was very impressed with the Absolute Carnage #1 OA selling price. The owner posted on social media and that was  revealing as to the kind of person who is(able/willing) to buy that kind of 5 figure contemporary artwork. And they are only one example - who knows what Martin Schkreli was buying blind and throwing into a safe...

Did the Absolute Carnage art sell as a whole lot, or was it broken up?  Price?

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Actually, around $70K for the whole issue, including cover and all interiors.

Bill Cox/Comicartfans has started crunching sales data for the dealer/rep sites he hosts. Which represents a large percentage of sites in the hobby, including the two biggest, Albert and Romitaman. So this was interesting:

By volume of sales, Felix Comic Art sold more than half the artworks reported during this period and also accounted for 60% of the sales during this period. https://www.comicartfans.com/Blog.asp?bId=82

By volume of sales, Felix Comic Art sold almost half the artworks reported during this period and also accounted for 1/3 of the sales during this period. https://www.comicartfans.com/Blog.asp?bId=79

This is interesting because vintage art has always been where the action's at. Certainly on this board, discussions almost exclusively revolve around vintage art. But the modern art market is growing. Don't write it off as a small sample size, just based on these two recent posts, because I can tell you it's been going on for a while. More collectors are catching on to modern, in addition to all the new collectors who have come in that way. Which, in the end, will be a good thing for the hobby as a whole.

Dude. You sell art at a fair price. That's why the feeding frenzy at nearly every drop. I'm old and slow and have mostly given up on that, my fingers ain't fast enough, and it's the kids turn to get some art anyway, I've had my thirty years already! Congrats to you and your consignors for understanding The Model. "Big" are asking 1.5x (or more) what most think is fmv for vintage. After the gotta get it 'fore it's gone stuff goes at each update, all the rest sits...waiting...for a buyer...someday. I am not surprised. Don't know if you took any economics classes but some other folks definitely did not.

$15K is a lot, but I've sold other modern covers for five figures. Off the top of my head, Ryan's VENOM #1 was $10K...Ryan Ottley's ASM #1 was $15K...Nick Derington's MISTER MIRACLE #1 was $12K...Skottie Young's ASM double-cover was $15K...there might be a few more over the years. Anyway, those were all to different buyers, too.

I don't know what the art for the first appearance of Carnage is worth, but I know who the buyer would be!

I have one other question for this thread. Thanks to the posts above I have come to appreciate that primary market for contemporary art is quite healthy (for “primary” I mean from dealer /art rep to collector).

But how deep is the secondary market? Has there been any tangible uplift in contemporary art OA after the first round of direct sales?  I am asking because in the few instances I have bought primary and sold secondary I have always lost money . So obviously I must have bought the wrong artists (lost massively on Cassaday and Bianchi , for example , even though they seemed quite successful). What have been the success stories ?

25 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

I have one other question for this thread. Thanks to the posts above I have come to appreciate that primary market for contemporary art is quite healthy (for “primary” I mean from dealer /art rep to collector).

But how deep is the secondary market? Has there been any tangible uplift in contemporary art OA after the first round of direct sales?  I am asking because in the few instances I have bought primary and sold secondary I have always lost money . So obviously I must have bought the wrong artists (lost massively on Cassaday and Bianchi , for example , even though they seemed quite successful). What have been the success stories ?

How does one define/measure success in the hobby? Strictly by profit? If so, IMO, they're in the hobby for the wrong reasons.

Even so, the real ROI "success" stories have been long-term holds. It didn't matter when you bought the art, or even what art you bought (generally speaking).  If you bought new art in 1976, and then decided to dump it in 1977, you probably didn't do very well. Certainly, that doesn't mean that keeping art over the long haul guarantees anything. But who would have guessed that in 50 years, Sal Buscema would be considered an all-time top 5 artist? By anybody?

Anyway, to me, success in this hobby is building a collection that makes the collector happy and proud. I made that decision very early on. I passed the Great Recession Test. I rarely, rarely sell anything. And when I do, it always goes into other art. If you ask me to objectively value my collection by $$$, it's very likely that I'll never get out what I put in for any number of pieces. But they're part of a collection that I view as a whole. No regrets.

20 hours ago, Nexus said:

$15K is a lot, but I've sold other modern covers for five figures. Off the top of my head, Ryan's VENOM #1 was $10K...Ryan Ottley's ASM #1 was $15K...Nick Derington's MISTER MIRACLE #1 was $12K...Skottie Young's ASM double-cover was $15K...there might be a few more over the years. Anyway, those were all to different buyers, too.

I don't know what the art for the first appearance of Carnage is worth, but I know who the buyer would be!

WOW- I feel much better about the 2 modern covers I bought direct from the artists recently after seeing this...

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

WOW- I feel much better about the 2 modern covers I bought direct from the artists recently after seeing this...

Yeah, but the artists probably feel terrible:P

Just kidding. But what we sold our covers for, are irrelevant to whatever you paid for yours. Unless they were from the same artists. Maybe you got a great deal. Maybe you didn't. Each artist's market is their own. To my earlier point, feel good if you got art you wanted for your collection, for a price you were willing to pay. That's enough of a win, in my book.

1 minute ago, Nexus said:

Yeah, but the artists probably feel terrible:P

Just kidding. But what we sold our covers for, are irrelevant to whatever you paid for yours. Unless they were from the same artists. Maybe you got a great deal. Maybe you didn't. Each artist's market is their own. To my earlier point, feel good if you got art you wanted for your collection, for a price you were willing to pay. That's enough of a win, in my book.

Possibly.. but both artist were fantastic. I agree 100% both are perfect to me the subject matter the artists (Scott Williams and Mico Suayan) and the Image.. they will be part of my collection for the long term, but since the OA market is like the wild west, ponying up the cash for 2 covers that were just published was tough (for some reason my brain has a hard time equating new with value vs vintage) and now seeing what you are selling quality current covers for makes me feel more at ease with the expenditure. 

2 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Possibly.. but both artist were fantastic. I agree 100% both are perfect to me the subject matter the artists (Scott Williams and Mico Suayan) and the Image.. they will be part of my collection for the long term, but since the OA market is like the wild west, ponying up the cash for 2 covers that were just published was tough (for some reason my brain has a hard time equating new with value vs vintage) and now seeing what you are selling quality current covers for makes me feel more at ease with the expenditure. 

Please keep in mind that those examples I listed are the exceptions, at least for us. Vast majority of art we sell, including covers, is a LOT less. Price is a reflection of demand, and that can vary, even within an artist's own body of work.