• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Greatest Artists

84 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Please keep in mind that those examples I listed are the exceptions, at least for us. Vast majority of art we sell, including covers, is a LOT less. Price is a reflection of demand, and that can vary, even within an artist's own body of work.

I totally understand. Just relatively new to the OA scene and it was a good thing to see lol. I just signed up for your newsletter too.. so you may have a new customer. 

3 hours ago, Carlo M said:

I have one other question for this thread. Thanks to the posts above I have come to appreciate that primary market for contemporary art is quite healthy (for “primary” I mean from dealer /art rep to collector).

But how deep is the secondary market? Has there been any tangible uplift in contemporary art OA after the first round of direct sales?  I am asking because in the few instances I have bought primary and sold secondary I have always lost money . So obviously I must have bought the wrong artists (lost massively on Cassaday and Bianchi , for example , even though they seemed quite successful). What have been the success stories ?

I've gotten some great deals buying contemporary on the secondary; people are definitely losing money lol

For the stuff that originally came through Felix, I've paid 60% or less.

But...I can only pull from what's being re-sold, which is (duh) rarely the exact piece I'd buy if the whole book was back on the table (at 60% or 100%).

That's the draw of primary, getting first/early shot at the whole thing, including the whole thing (!), but you do have to step up and pay ask. Or wait. Potentially...a very long time.

Possibly until this stuff hits that sweet spot, for buyers, of being 'old' (the opposite of shiny-new) but not (yet) 'vintage' enough to command liftoff nostalgia prices.

That how I had to buy 1980s Marvel art because I was too young/ignorant/broke to know about OA then, I came back (fifteen years later) older/smarter/flusher in the mid-late 90s and hauled it in, nobody wanted it lollollol

I've bought from primary too, and I've paid the higher end of fmv. That means my re-sells (of fiscal necessity, as opposed to you see it in my CAF and wave fistfulls of money at me to 'force' me into selling) would lose too. But they're not being resold, they're for me, for a long time, about thirty years (into nostalgia liftoff), FIFO, so...

image.png.bc0c1969593e6ac4de61ed4ad5b3ba16.png